Brass Quality: ADG vs Lapua vs Peterson vs Norma

nksmfamjp

I have Lapua and Peterson in different rounds. The precision of manufacturing is incredible. I measure them. Also, this precision is show I love that Peterson throws in the box!

Like most of us, I want a hard case head, even neck thickness, good fit to chamber, and proper sizing with my dies.

So, I've never bought ADG. Will I be as happy with that as I have been with Peterson and Lapua? What about Norma?

When answering, pretend we are in normal times(stuff's availabl) and they all make the magnum case I'm looking for.

I think you'll have much the same experience with the ADG brass, including the box. It's precise and is much thicker than Win/Rem brass. The thicker brass means a slightly smaller case capacity, but it also means you can get up to pressure with a slightly smaller powder charge. It's tough stuff and comes with the neck and shoulder area annealed. I usually run it through a mandrel die and then chamfer the neck opening and then load.

I forgot to add that the case necks on my 6.5 PRC brass has consistently run .015 to .0155 in thickness.
That is thick!……you are selling me! How is thickness variation on a single case? Or 3-5 measurements per case on 10 or so cases?

Using an electronic ball caliper, I usually find .0005 or so variation on a single case. I haven't turned any of these necks at this point, as my accuracy is excellent and I have enough clearance in the chamber neck. Case weights have been within a grain per 50 cases, especially when length is trimmed to a uniform length. I normally don't trim until after the first firing/fl sizing.

I think quality of ADG is for the most part excellent, but if your cartridge is available with Lapua brass that would be my choice purely on economics. Since you get 100 pieces per box instead of 50 it came out roughly 25% cheaper per case as I recall vs ADG.

Since we aren't yet back to "normal times" YMMV, but it is something to consider when you're investing in a lot of brass.

That is thick!……you are selling me! How is thickness variation on a single case? Or 3-5 measurements per case on 10 or so cases?
ADG seems good to me so far. I got a box for my 300 RUM, quickly ran a few pieces in a tube mic and the necks were in the 0.0155-0.0165" range, with any given case varying ~0.0005".

I had my mic out because I was measuring new 30-06 Peterson brass and also turning 6.5-284 Lapua brass. The Peterson 30-06 was 0.0140" average, varied 0.0010", while the Lapua was 0.0150", also varying 0.0010" or so per case. Some factory loaded once-fired Hornady 30-06 brass was super thin, 0.0120" or less and 0.0020"+ variances, it was a mess. The ADG was the thickest neck for sure.

I turned the Lapua down to 0.0145" with less than 0.0005" variance on my K+M turning setup, that was about 80-90% cleanup on most necks, 100% on a few. All three of those good brands give you a lot of meat to work with if you need it, I was happy to have more than 0.0140" left in the necks even after turning. More reason why any of those are worth the cost.

My take on this is both from experience and observations. I'd appreciate others input on this summary.

ADG - Toughest/Hardest brass almost to a fault. Maybe a little thicker than Lapua definitely thicker than factory not as thick as Peterson. Excellent quality and consistency. Expensive $$$

Lapua - Tougher/Harder than factory brass. Thicker than factory not as thick as Peterson. Excellent quality and consistency. The gold standard. Generally the best value.

Peterson - Thickest brass - lowest capacity. Softest of the top level brass. Excellent quality and consistency. Expensive $$$

Alpha - Close to Lapua in thickness & hardness. Excellent quality and consistency, maybe even the best. Magnums not available yet. $ near Lapua.

Thoughts? Corrections?

Norma - better than other factory brass. Not at the level of the others above. Good choice if the others are not available for the application.

I know a BR shooter in Williamsport who switched over mid season to Alpha brass from Lapua and he swears it stepped his game up.
He done very well after he did, I know quality brass makes a difference in any LR game.