Adding weight, balance

G

I am wanting to add some weight to my synthic stock (tikka). There is lots of empty space under the barrel and the butt is hollow. Can I just fill these spaces with led shot and epoxy or is there a better way? I can add a lot more weight in the butt and will change the balance of the rifle. Is there a general rule on where the gun should balance? Does a rifle that is butt heavy cause shooting problems?
Harv

Harv,

Don't know about rifles, but my ex wife was butt heavy and she caused a LOT of shooting problems.

Jim

Harv,
Ive used the lead shot and epoxy method before and it works well. What you might consider doing is covering the area where you are going to add weight with a thin layer of grease, or bedding release agent, add your weight and epoxy and let it cure. This gives you a chance to try the rifle with weight in place, if its too heavy or don't balance in the place you like it, you can easily remove it, cut some off and try again. Works well for the buttstock, and the forend. When you get it how you like it, clean grease, and put down a thin layer of epoxy and youre done.
I like most of my rifles to ballance at the front of the action, heavier rifles that will only see bag use, a little further forward.

Harv, If you want to add weight to your hollow butstock, the best thing I found is plumbers putty; cheap, no mess, no mixing, comes out easy if you need to change, dose not absorb water. I used this in a magnum muzzel loader, was able to ad about 2lbs. worked great. I had no shooting problems with this gun after adding weight. Better balanced felt it was muzzle heavy in the first place.

Thanks guys. I have lots of lead but where can I get lots of epoxy without buying 50 small $5 packs?

I used Devcon 30 min. epoxy in the 9 oz. pack for about $15. Hobby shops sell these or you can check out where I mail ordered mine. This stuff only has a good working time of 10 minutes or so. Work fast or it will get thick on you. I hope this helps.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/adhesive.htm

If you want an epoxy go to brownell's web site and order their "marine tex" the stuff is very thick and pasty kind of like mashed potatoes (but just a tad thinner) and will not run like the other epoxies that are avail and it will give you a working time of 20-30 min so that you can make it fit and look purdy. This is great stuff to work with.

Ben

after thinking about it, it is almost exactly the consistency of pudding. just to correct myself. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks,
Ben

No matter what you do you do not want the weight to move around under recoil. If you have a bearing supplier in the town, you can buy loose stainless steel ball bearings in small sizes and mix with your Marine-tex into a mould that mirrors the cavity you want the weight in. That way there is no chance that it will set up in a place that you can't get it out. The front sling stud is a good way to secure it in the forearm channel. You can cast an insert for the stud thread into your weight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I just got a Savage 10FP-LE2. The Stock is hollow, and I was planning on adding heavy lead shot to add a few pounds. I thought this would be a great way of cutting recoil! Can this cause accuracy problems.

Also, do you mix it with the epoxy? How does that aspect work? Ramses II

212321.JPG

Ramses II,

This was from my brothers gun when I loaded up the hollow butt stock with lead shot. The lead was not rolling around in the stock so that was not the problem. It seems as though the stock is flexing during recoil, and affecting the accuracy.

Not sure of the make of the stock on your particular model, but if it is the one used on the 12 FVSS I would do some testing before doing anything permanent.

Jim

Good point Jim. My Savage has the same Synth stock as the 12FVSS. Savage is a great rifle, but let's face it, the synth stock is pretty flimsy. I wouldn't be surprised if it were flexing. Perhaps I will try lead shot w/ some insulation foam (so it ain't permanent). How do you install it on a non-permanent basis? thanks,
Ramses II

Ramses II,

I removed the butt pad, and took out the foam "plug". I took a plastic bag and poured in a little shot and lowered it into the cavity. I poured in more shot to about a half inch from the surface. Tap side of stock to settle. I cut a piece of insulation type foam to put pressure on the shot when I reinstalled the butt pad. You are good to go and it is not permanent in any way.

In retrospect, I was lucky to have an accuracy base line on that rifle before I loaded the stock. The thought crossed my mind to load the stock right out of the box.

I am building a wood stock for it to correct the problem. If you test yours in a similar way, I would be interested in the outcome.

Jim

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="red"> Harv,
Don't know about rifles, but my ex wife was butt heavy and she caused a LOT of shooting problems.
Jim
</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL - I had the same problem but my x didn't have enuf weight in her butt /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

GEMPLER'S Best place I've found for industrial epoxies like Devcon 4-oz. Repair Putty or 1-lb. Plastic Steel Repair Kit

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.