Action for shouldered switch barrels

What actions are available with the tolerances to have prefit shouldered barrels made?

I have a R700 with the SPR bug nut system. I have found out that I would rather not fool with go gauges and setting head space (barrel but setups) on a rifle that I plan to swap barrels.

If I am understanding you correctly, you are asking that if your gunsmith gets a print of your action, then you can just send a barrel to the gunsmith for him to chamber a barrel for you. Correct? So, your assumption is that all of the actions of that model on the Print are made exactly what the print says.

Top of the list of this kind of qualifications are:

Borden
Stolle
Some Batt actions, early ones were very different

These are the ones that I am familiar with.
I am not a Defiant kind of guy.

OP, sounds like you have the patience of a gnat when it comes to head spacing on a go/no-go gauge with Pre fits which is much more simple than advanced reloading techniques and advanced rifle cleaning. Perhaps more training on how to set up the Pre Fits is in order...pretty darn simple, a little time, and a little patience, Patience is the main ingredient.

Many actions listed by some do not fit the answer to your question. Many of the action companies come and go, the tried and true customs that do not need to be reworked are few.

With the liability/expense of shipping a gun, being able to just order a chambered barrel is a real plus, Shouldered or Pre-fit.

I was only stating the actions that many match shooters and match rifle gunsmiths have found to be dead nuts reliable from action to action over a NUMBER of years, THAT I AM AWARE OF. I am sure that there are other actions that have very stringent quality control from action to action.

Current Borden, Stolle, and Bat actions have a very long track record of proven quality over time.

We have not even mentioned the fire control system and design.

I have two Zermatt/Bighorn TL3s and they are great. Got barrels in .223, .308, 6 Creed, 6.5 Creed and have a 6mm ARC from PVA showing up today. So nice to be able to easily swap bolt heads for different calibers.

I too have a Zermatt TL3 and ordered a Carbonsix barrel and could not be happier. Torqued it down, mounted a scope, and went shooting. I will be building another soon hopefully

I do not want a barrel nut setup. Looking for a shouldered prefit setup.
the savage nut is not good but the one bighorn sells is out standing just a 16 point box end to on and off and when torque to specs they are the same as a shoulder fit also bighorn sells a smooth one but you then need there special wrench to use them and boy it is costly

Tough to beat a terminus Zeus. I have one in 22 creedmoor I just got back that I have had the chance to shoot yet but barrel change is super easy. This is a Zeus with Gunwerks clymr stock, Diamond trigger with 18" bartlein #4 carbon barrel.
IMG_8704.jpeg

A new one on the market is Aero SOLUS at a surprisingly good price. They use the same prefit as the Origin, three lug ,so a short bolt throw, integral base and lug as well as a trigger hanger and side bolt release. Nice "cocked" indicator as well. 700 footprint. I've used them on a couple builds now and very happy with them.

Last edited:
What actions are available with the tolerances to have prefit shouldered barrels made?

I have a R700 with the SPR bug nut system. I have found out that I would rather not fool with go gauges and setting head space (barrel but setups) on a rifle that I plan to swap barrels.
I learned on a basic Savage model 10 and I already had had three savage compatible barrels. I upgraded to Zermatt TL3, loved it. Now I have two. I have two shouldered pre fit from Proof but my Savage barrel nut barrels still work with the TL3s which is nice. I just noticed Carbon Six is offering pre fit for Zermatt now. I assume they are shouldered. I have one of their barrels in a Savage shank....

So in my experience, Zermatt is top quality and offers some flexibility.
I would add that changing their bolt head could not be easier.