Switching between prefit barrels on a Defiance action

Colin78

Can you easily switch between prefit barrels one one action? Example, can I have one Defiance action, and one Proof sendero prefit 300 prc action that will be for western hunting in the fall, then have another stainless sendero contoured prefit barrel that has the same bolt face to shoot long range steel in the summer? Thinking I can do load development on the 300 prc to get my hunting load done, then take it off and put the stainless barrel on for summer time steel plate target practice, then put the proof on in the fall, check zero, and head to the mountains? Is it really that easy?

Yes it can be easy. I've had/have switch barrel rifles in multiple configurations. I've had shouldered barrels that just get minimal torque, barrel nut Savage & Remage, and switch lug setups. They all work fine with the first and last being easiest as I don't have to remove barreled action from stock to swap barrels. It's easy on all; just swap barrel- I use a barrel vice and action wrench (not needed with barrel nut system), align witness marks I've put on, recheck headspace - recheck zero.

You have to be sure that your defiance action can have prefits. Unless you sent the action off to the gunsmith, and then had him spin up the two barrels with the action.
But as others have said, it's really really easy. Buying prefits has saved me a lot of money for cartridges that I may just want to experiment with or just for plinking.

Can you easily switch between prefit barrels one one action? Example, can I have one Defiance action, and one Proof sendero prefit 300 prc action that will be for western hunting in the fall, then have another stainless sendero contoured prefit barrel that has the same bolt face to shoot long range steel in the summer? Thinking I can do load development on the 300 prc to get my hunting load done, then take it off and put the stainless barrel on for summer time steel plate target practice, then put the proof on in the fall, check zero, and head to the mountains? Is it really that easy?
Yes, but I could never make myself do it.

Yes it is that easy, plus for a defiance you can get a second bolt with a different bolt face and go to a different caliber. I shoot a Zermatt long action and shoot a 6.5 PRC and 300 wm through the same action. It takes maybe 5 mins to swap my barrels. plus it have a standard bolt head that I can change out of a were to shoot a 308, 270, 280, etc.

It's that easy but it creates an illness. Same concept as a Thompson Center Contender/Encore, I end up with more recievers because I always want to shoot what is not together. We're spoiled. 🤣

Thanks for all the replies. I already have a proof carbon 300 prc prefit barrel on the way. That's not something I'm going to want to plink with. It will be reserved for hunting elk and bigger game so not something I do a ton. Hate to have that much $$ tied up in something that I don't do but a few times a year. So I'm planning to get a stainless 6.5 prc prefit to ring steel with the rest of the year.

Thank you for posting this. I wasn't aware of that.
Just keep in mind if you were to use a short action you will be limited to short action cartridges. If you have a long action you have all kinds of options. Most all of my guns are now long actions because of this, and long action with short action cartridges means I seat bullets as far out as I want.

Thanks for all the replies. I already have a proof carbon 300 prc prefit barrel on the way. That's not something I'm going to want to plink with. It will be reserved for hunting elk and bigger game so not something I do a ton. Hate to have that much $$ tied up in something that I don't do but a few times a year. So I'm planning to get a stainless 6.5 prc prefit to ring steel with the rest of the year.
Look at preferred barrels. Great barrels with options. I like my proof barrels but my next one will be something different where I can get faster twist for heavier bullets.

Just keep in mind if you were to use a short action you will be limited to short action cartridges. If you have a long action you have all kinds of options. Most all of my guns are now long actions because of this, and long action with short action cartridges means I seat bullets as far out as I want.

Lee, just basic common sense that most have deemed as undesirable....marketing.

Lee, just basic common sense that most have deemed as undesirable....marketing.
What is undesirable? I do agree with making sure one understands that short action won't fit long action cartridges. Sometimes things do need to be said so others don't over look it.