Action AGC 021

Herters never manufactured a bloody thing. They bought actions and barreled actions from European manufacturers and had them remarqued for their own sales as 'Herters'. This was and still is a common practice. However, you apparently know all of this so carry on with your search.

;)

1693810574729.png
not Herter's U9
1693810707933.png
and not a J9 either, Zastava or Husky
It does look Mauser-ish... control round feed and one piece magazine/bottom metal. The weird "bend" over the trigger guard is what puzzles me. We got us a mystery rifle!!

Last edited:
PROGRESS!
I spoke with a salesperson at Cole fine guns in Harpswell Maine. She informed me that they did in fact import Mauser Actions at one time from Europe. They have a gunsmith that's been with the company for years that travels from their Florida store to their Maine store a couple times a month. She told me that he would be able to fill in the blanks; who the manufacturer was, whether they were model 96 or 98 actions, etc. She's promised to get back to me as soon as she speaks with him and put an end to the mystery. I'll post details when I find out.

Thanks to everyone who provided input, cleaned up my pictures and just showed an interest.