Accurate Case Trimmers

I agree and am a Wilson supporter. To me, the control point is base to mouth so I don't pinch the mouth at the end.

If true accuracy is the goal, the control point would be neck length for bullet hold. I wonder if the shoulder datum to case mouth trimmers give better accuracy??
If you size the cases consistently enough, the two should be the same. But a lot of people either bump or trim early instead of being patient about it.

That was kind of my point to Mike about how I will trim to a consistent length, but only after the shoulders are bumping consistently.

If you size the cases consistently enough, the two should be the same. But a lot of people either bump or trim early instead of being patient about it.

That was kind of my point to Mike about how I will trim to a consistent length, but only after the shoulders are bumping consistently.
Agree, except neck turning always drives a trim step so the turn length is regulated….this can put you a bit out of whack!

Ideally, you would measure your chamber length (with a chamber length gauge), and as brass eventually encroaches within 5thou, you would trim to no more than 10thou short.

Thank you! I haven't come across this concept in my reading yet. Time for some more research.

I should preface this post with the fact that I'm new to reloading and slowly accumulating what I need to start. I've read as much as I can about trimmers, trying to find an affordable, accurate trimmer. I'm not too concerned with volume at this point. I've narrowed it down to the LE Wilson, Forster, and WFT 2 trimmer. Would I see noticeable differences in accuracy between any of the three trimmers? Everyone help is appreciated!
For a beginner and even for the average loader who's not prepping thousands of cases a year honestly is the Lee system.

Amazon product ASIN B000N8OM9O
Amazon product ASIN B000NOQIOU
The mandrel screws into the big piece on the left, the case is mounted using the second piece from the first kit screwed onto the second (right) piece from the right kit.

Each caliber/round/cartridge has a SAAMI spec mandrel so it's totally fool proof.

The bottom piece with the little stud can even be screwed into a cordless drill to prevent your hands form getting tired.

I got to where I could probably finish any case cut to length in about fifteen seconds.

You can use the RCBS or similar case Chamfering/Deburring tool while it's still mounted in the drill.

About 2 seconds turn time for each step is probably a bit more than needed.

Other than the most expensive systems out there I have yet to find any that do a better job and none of them do it as quickly.

I bit the bullet a few years ago and bought the Hornady top of the line case prep system and while I certainly like some aspects of it I admit it isn't nearly as quick to use nor to swap from case to case.

That too is the case for all of the bench mounted trimmers that look kind of like a lathe such as those you're looking at.

Last edited:
Agree, except neck turning always drives a trim step so the turn length is regulated….this can put you a bit out of whack!
I've only been neck turning for a few years but i've not found that to be the case and I have been pretty good about checking my case length when I'm done.

It may I guess depend on the system you're using for neck turning. I went simple on mine.

For a beginner and even for the average loader who's know prepping thousands of cases a year honestly is the Lee system.
I was looking at these, but my concern is they aren't adjustable, at least as designed. If the goal is to trim when the case approaches near chamber length, then I think I'd want an adjustable trimmer. Hopefully I'm understanding all this correctly.

I was looking at these, but my concern is they aren't adjustable, at least as designed. If the goal is to trim when the case approaches near chamber length, then I think I'd want an adjustable trimmer. Hopefully I'm understanding all this correctly.
No they don't need to be adjustable. Cases need to be trimmed to SAAMI spec.

Each of those guide rods is cut to length so it's pretty well fool proof.

What can get you in serious trouble is cutting them too short which will start to very quickly erode your chamber.

I think it's best to go ahead and measure your chamber, and decide from there.
Use this:
You're free to do so but nobody is going to chamber a SAAMI spec round with below speck case length.

All it would take is one of those to blow up on a customer and that's the end of their company.

I used that system exclusively from about 1985/86 on and never had a problem.

The only reason I switched to the Hornady case prep center;

Is the simple fact it puts all the steps in one place reducing clutter on the bench.

I recall reading maybe in a Zediker book on reloading the recommendation to use a method that interfaces with the brass body not just the case head like some methods as a small misalignment at the case head can result in an uneven trim. That said I have no personal experience other than Sinclair and Giraud and for sure I do not have the data that backs this up. But it does seem logical. And never underestimate the results you can get from some Lee products.

JB
It was for this reason that I abandoned the RCBS case trimmer that I used for years: It holds only the case head and is prone to poor alignment of the case mouth against the cutter. Since I bought the LE Wilson with micrometer, I've been very happy with the consistency of results, and the speed of use.

You don't need to over-trim cases -for a neck turning stop.
You just watch your turn feed and stop where you should:
JustRight.jpg

This is completely easy (by eye/hand) provided your cutter angle exceeds actual shoulder angle.
New brass has not taken full shoulder angle yet (until fully fire formed), and this is one of a few good reasons to turn brass while it's new.
A reason NOT to trim brass while it's new is because necks pull back on fire forming.