Accurate Case Trimmers

groc426

I should preface this post with the fact that I'm new to reloading and slowly accumulating what I need to start. I've read as much as I can about trimmers, trying to find an affordable, accurate trimmer. I'm not too concerned with volume at this point. I've narrowed it down to the LE Wilson, Forster, and WFT 2 trimmer. Would I see noticeable differences in accuracy between any of the three trimmers? Everyone help is appreciated!

The Wilson will be the most accurate one of the bunch. I have the Forster and am perfectly happy with it since it is a great trimmer considering cost vs value vs volume. I also have the WFT2 which is good as well and use it on high volume case trimming (.223 for my AR).

Would I see noticeable differences in accuracy between any of the three trimmers?
No, never.

A funny thing humans do is go overboard with the easy stuff, while generalizing away anything difficult.
It's as likely that the cheapest trimmer made will work just fine for the rest of your life.
And if it's so horribly bad as to be off +/- a couple thou, it doesn't matter.

I use the Lee Quick Trim.The only bad thing is you will need a different die for different cartridges but they are not expensive at all.
I also have the Forster Precision case trimmer but it takes a bit to get it set.The Lee Quick Trim Die system is so much faster for my use.
Last I saw Amazon Prime had these in stock a lot cheaper than Lee site

I use the Lee Quick Trim.The only bad thing is you will need a different die for different cartridges but they are not expensive at all.
I also have the Forster Precision case trimmer but it takes a bit to get it set.The Lee Quick Trim Die system is so much faster for my use.
Last I saw Amazon Prime had these in stock a lot cheaper than Lee site
I certainly agree with Old Rooster on this one. I have tested various trimmers over the years and all you need is one that will trim to a consistent length and square to the centerline of the brass. Only if you have or plan to have a custom chamber do you need a trimmer that is infinitely adjustable. I have not been able to measure the difference between the Lee and Wilson for SAMMI chambers. Lee is faster and costs less. It gets my vote.

I used the Forster Original Case Trimmer for years. It was fairly repeatable but I never did like the collet design. I recently got the L.E. Wilson trimmer with micrometer and could not be happier. Yes, you will spend some more money because each case requires a different holder but it is repeatable to 0.001" every time. It's also faster to use than the Forster.
I have also used the World's Fastest Trimmers from Little Crow Gunworks and my friend's Giraud for high volume cartridges. Both are fast and easy but the accuracy/repeatability is not there IMO since they are based off of the shoulder. That is a topic for another discussion.

how much does trim length affect acc as long as the case isn't too long? dist 100 to 600 yds
Nil.

Even at much longer distances it doesn't make much difference. This is why I don't trim until cases are fully grown and stabilized, and even then I only do it to uniform length to make the sizing die size the same length of neck.

I recall reading maybe in a Zediker book on reloading the recommendation to use a method that interfaces with the brass body not just the case head like some methods as a small misalignment at the case head can result in an uneven trim. That said I have no personal experience other than Sinclair and Giraud and for sure I do not have the data that backs this up. But it does seem logical. And never underestimate the results you can get from some Lee products.

JB

Neck tension for one, and the release of the bullet, but that for finer details. I used a Lyman Auto Ck trimmer for years. Up graded it to using a drill to turn it. It's not a big deal to setup either. Now I use a Henderson Precision trimmer. It's quicker to set up to cut the case for length, and bevel inside and out at the same time. Once you have your stop set up for that case, you can remove it and save that stop, to go back to at a later date. I have set up to check my case length by placing it into the Gen 3 trimmer after each firing of that case. You don't really need that much if shooting under 600yds. I am looking at extending my distances out to about 700yds, or so, and shooting ground squirrels or P. dogs. So I feel I need to put everything into play to get the job done. Working towards a more accurate load.