Accurate Case Trimmers

So I wouldn't be able to do this with a Lee trimmer, correct?
Is this trimmer non-adjustable? I would think all trimmers are adjustable in some way.
And cutting to shortest length in a group IS arbitrary.
The common way reloaders cause excess chamber end clearance is to cut all necks (as new) to a shortest in batch length.
Then, when they fire form cases, necks will pull back with shoulder angle increases, leaving even more clearance.
There was never a logical reason to do this.

When you see a lot of soot on fired necks, sometimes further down cases, it's often caused by excess chamber end clearance.
The price for this can be increased SD, as neck sealing then varies in timing. The rearward carbon movement also deposits a carbon ring, which again affects sealing, and can delay bullet release from necks (jacking up pressure peaks).

Ideally, you would measure your chamber length (with a chamber length gauge), and as brass eventually encroaches within 5thou, you would trim to no more than 10thou short. Most cases should get there around the same time, but some may never get there,, or the whole batch may never get there. Just measure & watch it.
While your watching, the price for varying neck lengths(within normal), or case mouths off-square, is nothing provable.
So just let your cases get to where they should be trimmed before doing so.

Like Doc7mm and others I have had a number of others (including the Forster) and the the Sinclair Ultimate Stainless version of the L E Wilson system is the best I have used. Especially nice if you are doing the Lee Factory crimp as your crimp is in the exact same place on each loaded round.

I should preface this post with the fact that I'm new to reloading and slowly accumulating what I need to start. I've read as much as I can about trimmers, trying to find an affordable, accurate trimmer. I'm not too concerned with volume at this point. I've narrowed it down to the LE Wilson, Forster, and WFT 2 trimmer. Would I see noticeable differences in accuracy between any of the three trimmers? Everyone help is appreciated!
Been very happy with my Wilson for many years. I use the drill adaptor and my Compact 3/8 in. Right Angle Drill to drive it. Works like a dream.

And cutting to shortest length in a group IS arbitrary.
The common way reloaders cause excess chamber end clearance is to cut all necks (as new) to a shortest in batch length.
Then, when they fire form cases, necks will pull back with shoulder angle increases, leaving even more clearance.
There was never a logical reason to do this.
I never said to trim new brass. You missed this part:

This is why I don't trim until cases are fully grown and stabilized, and even then I only do it to uniform length to make the sizing die size the same length of neck.

Some get knocked back a hair, none of them are too short ;)

I use an L.E. Wilson for accuracy and it does a great job. I also use a Frankford Arsenal prep center for bulk and speed mostly for .223. If you could just have one to start with the Frankford does it all with reasonable accuracy and it's on sale right now direct from FA.

I've got a couple of L.E. Wilson trimmers. They do the job. It can be a slow process and definitely not my favorite part of reloading. I just do it when the brass starts to exceed max and attempt to keep everything as consistent as possible.

I went with the Wilson trimmer. I make my own AAC cases and use the Wilson for major trimming sessions. After hacksawing the top of the case off from the form die the Wilson does a supreme job that used to be hand filing on the form die. No comparison. The shell holders are cheap. Takes only a couple minutes to reset the micrometer for trimming other calibers.

Just watched a video on the Frankford Arsenal trimmer! Ordered one for 99 bucks with free shipping! Will be faster than my Wilson trimmer and a lot easier also

Just watched a video on the Frankford Arsenal trimmer! Ordered one for 99 bucks with free shipping! Will be faster than my Wilson trimmer and a lot easier also
Let us know how it works out. I've considered this in the past, but have not pulled the trigger. Is this a combo tool for brass prep?

Get on their web sight and watch video! Just type in Franford Arsenal and it will show you the video. Going to be faster than my L.E.Wilson

I've used a few and like the Lyman E-Zee trimmer the best. The downside is they don't make pilot bits for every cartridge like wildcat ammo. If you just reload the more common ammo (308, 3006, 270, etc) it's a great trimmer.

Last edited:
I bought the L.E. Wilson years ago and really love it! Accurate to .001 all the time!
I agree and am a Wilson supporter. To me, the control point is base to mouth so I don't pinch the mouth at the end.

If true accuracy is the goal, the control point would be neck length for bullet hold. I wonder if the shoulder datum to case mouth trimmers give better accuracy??

I should preface this post with the fact that I'm new to reloading and slowly accumulating what I need to start. I've read as much as I can about trimmers, trying to find an affordable, accurate trimmer. I'm not too concerned with volume at this point. I've narrowed it down to the LE Wilson, Forster, and WFT 2 trimmer. Would I see noticeable differences in accuracy between any of the three trimmers? Everyone help is appreciated!
That's GREAT that you are getting into reloading. There are quite a few "Brass Case Trimmers" out there. I think that if you are just reloading limited amounts and for hunting that is not to extreme distances most all the Trimmer mentioned in this thread will work. If you are thinking of the future and going to get into accurate shooting you may want to upgrade to "Three in One" Trimmer Head.
"Buy Once Cry Once".
You can purchase the Trimmers listed and then sell and upgrade later.
I have used and tried several of the Trimmers mentioned in this Thread from manual to the Hornady Power Case Trimmer.
I eventually moved and upgraded to the "HENDERSON Trimmer" and made my own power unit. Best move I ever did.
This could be for if you only shoot a less than a hundred cases a year, but not economical. If you plan on doing more reloading and want more accuracy the "Tri Head Trimmer" with power would be for you. It trims to length and champers the inside and out of the case neck.
THERE ARE MANY POSTS ON THIS IN LRK AND THE INTERNET!
There are also other companies that make power units and Tri Head Trimmers.
It is an expense, but when looking for accuracy and speed????
Again if only loading a few cartridges the Power Tri Heads probably are not for you.

This is one that we built with a variable speed motor to have more accuracy and save time.
Len & Jill

Attachments

• Henderson Trimmer Modified.jpg
    Henderson Trimmer Modified.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 75