Accuracy Expectations

Reelamin

I have searched this but have been unable to locate specific information.

Just finished up the first test run. I'm getting .8" average groups at 100yds with Berger 190VLD Hunting @ 3360fps. Trying to determine if I need to keep working on it.

Could I get some input on what people have actually experienced when they step it out to 1000 yards? Is that accurate enough to maintain the same MOA or group size in relationship to yards?

Looking for actual data people have shot at 1000 or more yards.

If you're runnin' a factory rig, .8 is good. Could it do better? Hard to guess. If it's a custom you should have a lot of potential left.

As for x moa carrying to range, it depends on a lot of factors. For starters, you can figure the verticle difference between high and low velocity spread and add this to your .8. Add in conditions, your skills...

Real world shooting, .x MOA at one hundred can absolutely carry to longer ranges. We only see it with finely tuned rifles, loads, and shooters in good conditions. VLD's can even get tighter in relation to MOA as they fully stabilize.

I've got rigs that shoot well under 1/2. In the field I often see astounding accuracy at long range. I've shot under 1/4 at 1000 and 1/2 at a mile once or twice. The rifles tell you when things are in the groove. Groups like these aren't constant. We / I can't shoot that consistently. But, they happen regularly enough to know the rifle and load have the potential. Not sure of the current 1000 yard record but it's under 2.5" for ten rounds.

Like Grit pointed out, it can and will remain constant out to longer distances with everything finely tuned.

More often than not, I think it deteriorates due to many new variables that begin to have notable effects such as velocity spread, variable/switching wind, opposing winds at varying distances, up/down drafts, mirage, paralax (which actually can improve at long range vs 100yds).

The bottom line is that a .8 MOA load with a decent BC bullet can get you on target at 1k for some fun and inspirational shooting. But, it isn't likely to win any f-class competitions and probably isn't suitable for shooting mole rats at 1k. You'll also have good and bad days depending on conditions.

Once you start connecting though, you'll be eager to go back and keep refining your rifle, load, and skills.

-- richard

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.