Setting Expectations

The Howa barrel is sensitive to proper break in, especially the #2, read the instructions, take your time and do it right. This usually is where I spend time letting the barrel cool between shots, tweak my scope and a few other checks as I go along. I recheck torque on the action bolts, scope, anything that could loosen after assembly. As others have stated, invest in a qualified coach, practice doesn't make perfect unless it's perfect practice and being new, there are numerous disciplines you need to learn correctly to shoot well. Like in golf, not having to break bad habits makes one a better shooter or golfer. My first coach was a 76 year old still competitive professional (in 1976 as well), we started with two hours of conversation where he (unbeknownst to me) read my personality and demeanor to determine if he wanted to invest time with a 23 year old who thought he could shoot. After a lot of time going through the basics, he took my S&W model 19, shot a hole in the center of an inverted target at 10 yards (blank paper on that side) and told me to shoot the hole, remembering posture, grip, sight alignment, breathing and trigger press (double action). I hit the edge of the hole but it counted, point is, learn the basics and stick to them. In my LE sniper school we did the same thing, that is sticking to the basics, any error by any shooter meant copious amounts of pushups for everyone. A fun way to reinforce learning objectives and being aware of potential errors. In my world, you can't miss.

Not too many in the St. Louis area.[/QUOTE

The last I heard, the St. Louis Benchrest Club (now located in Wright City) has a 600 yd. range and plans to go out to 1000. They may have already done this but I don't know, since I let my membership lapse years ago (I have my own 100 yd range which is good enough for what I do). Look them up online but if their membership still costs what it used to, be prepared for some sticker shock!
Cheers,
crkckr

The Howa barrel is sensitive to proper break in, especially the #2, read the instructions, take your time and do it right. This usually is where I spend time letting the barrel cool between shots, tweak my scope and a few other checks as I go along. I recheck torque on the action bolts, scope, anything that could loosen after assembly. As others have stated, invest in a qualified coach, practice doesn't make perfect unless it's perfect practice and being new, there are numerous disciplines you need to learn correctly to shoot well. Like in golf, not having to break bad habits makes one a better shooter or golfer. My first coach was a 76 year old still competitive professional (in 1976 as well), we started with two hours of conversation where he (unbeknownst to me) read my personality and demeanor to determine if he wanted to invest time with a 23 year old who thought he could shoot. After a lot of time going through the basics, he took my S&W model 19, shot a hole in the center of an inverted target at 10 yards (blank paper on that side) and told me to shoot the hole, remembering posture, grip, sight alignment, breathing and trigger press (double action). I hit the edge of the hole but it counted, point is, learn the basics and stick to them. In my LE sniper school we did the same thing, that is sticking to the basics, any error by any shooter meant copious amounts of pushups for everyone. A fun way to reinforce learning objectives and being aware of potential errors. In my world, you can't miss.

I followed the Howa breakin instructions closely. Though the barrel was not returned to ambient temperature, it was never hot. I gave it time between shots to cool, cleaning between rounds. Took the full 20 rounds at a slow pace.

Getting a good coach is good advice. I think I have one. I know his strengths. He has suggested that I go to a longer range and get some instruction. Now, with all the information on more local ranges and training, there are alternatives to a week at Whittington. I am an aggressive individual that will push myself until I reach my personal limitations.

Still trying to understand the limitations of the Howa so that I can recognize how good I can get before it would be necessary to upgrade and avoid frustration because I can't seem to reach out farther. It's about personal performance.

Nation al Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF) you can use them to find a range in your area. Tale a look at some of Ryan Cleckner's video presentation on shooting and long range shooting videos. Lots of useful info there. Practise the fundamentals - breath control trigger squeeze, etc. Being a little new at long range shooting, once I verified all the tools are working right (rifle scope, ammo) the biggest issue now is me. I am using a target model .22 to practice the fundamentals, and it pays dividends. Enjoy and have fun!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.