medium/short range rifle accuracy not to my expectations...next steps

Thanks. We have decided that we are going to start doing sample packs. I am not logistically set up to do them on our website yet though. Hopefully soon!

Steve

Your wecome, You helped me with a 1/12 twist 300 rum. I just didn't want to shoot 155 gr loads.
It would be super flat to 500y. :eek::cool:

Darn 12" twist. I should run some numbers again. We might be able to run the 181g Sledge Hammers, but not a high bc bullet. Would be good for under 500y which is kinda where the 152g ends up too. We just gotta get you that new barrel. :)

Steve

I think bags or front rest are going to give you more repeatable accuracy than a bipod.

I have a load for my daughters 7-08 with our 131g Hammer Hunter that I would certainly pass along. Also I will give you the same guarantee as always. If you can't get our bullets to shoot we'll give you your money back.

Feel free to contact me. 406-261-0010

Have doc appointment this morning but will be available this afternoon.

Steve

There you go!

That is an amazing offer Steve.
I agree!

Here's a couple things from my experience with the Lady Hunter...

The stock has a pronounced slant at the butt pad. This causes the to rifle pivot on the shoulder and to have a lot of muzzle rise. When shooting the rifle from a bench with a adjustable front rest and rear bag, I would put the rifle on the rest so that the rest was way back, and just a little forward of the balance point of the rifle. This will be somewhere forward of the chamber. This puts more of the weight of the rifle out in front of the rest and helps with the muzzle rise some. I would also often hold the stock lightly just behind the rest.

The rifle has a very short length of draw. I would add a slip on recoil pad, when I shot it to make the length of pull longer. This helped me a lot.

Pretty sure I was letting the barrel cool more than 2 minutes. But I was shooting in probably 50~60 degree. Ours would walk some with a warm barrel.

Never bedded the rifle we had, but it was a 243, and I felt a little lucky that I didn't have too. I'm sure your 7-08 is recoiling a little more and is probably experiencing even more muzzle jump. In the end, bedding the 7-08 might be a good idea.

I sent a new rifle back to Savage once. they replaced the barrel. Told me it was outta spec, but didn't send a target back with it. So, I think Savage would have done you right, if they thought the rifle had a problem. They probably shoot them from a vise though. LOL.

Starting to sound like you will have to do handloads for it, if you want to get it under MOA.

Good luck.

Last edited:
My NULA 260 jumped like a bean on the bench. A firm forearm grip actually helped if was consistent.

A mid priced ultralight rifle might require handloads to do better than MOA. The nodes are going to be harder to find or likely more pronounced with a light barrel. My son's savage youth 7-08 shot very poorly with the reduced load of 36gr 4895 and came around nicely at 38 gr. Pic is of 125Y shot with his rifle. His first shot at a deer and he put it in the boiler room.

Attachments

• 4EED55DA-7FBD-4741-B125-EBCE1E96BD10.jpeg
    4EED55DA-7FBD-4741-B125-EBCE1E96BD10.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 102
  • C21286FD-5667-4E30-A490-9E2E22D53AB2.jpeg
    C21286FD-5667-4E30-A490-9E2E22D53AB2.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 99
Last edited:
I'm getting 1/2" groups from my Model Seven 7-08 with 120 grain NBTs and less than an inch with 140 grain ABs at 100 yds. I haven't finished with the load development of the 140s, yet. I don't bed recoil lugs or wait several minutes between firing rounds. I do, however, wait between shot groups.

Good luck.

I'm getting 1/2" groups from my Model Seven 7-08 with 120 grain NBTs and less than an inch with 140 grain ABs at 100 yds. I haven't finished with the load development of the 140s, yet. I don't bed recoil lugs or wait several minutes between firing rounds. I do, however, wait between shot groups.

Good luck.

The 120 NBT is an awesome bullet for mid range deer. My son is shooting it at about 2700 fps and so far it has been a winner. This is a significantly reduced load.

The 120 NBT is an awesome bullet for mid range deer. My son is shooting it at about 2700 fps and so far it has been a winner. This is a significantly reduced load.

That's good to hear.
I haven't had the good fortune to try them out on a deer, yet. I'm using Varget @ 45 grains for around 3000fps in the 20" barrel.

That's good to hear.
I haven't had the good fortune to try them out on a deer, yet. I'm using Varget @ 45 grains for around 3000fps in the 20" barrel.

The 120 BT 7-08 combo has to be one of the biggest bangs for your buck out there. I am getting 2900fps out of my 23" 6.5x47 and 39 gr Varget with the 6.5mm 120 Ballistic tip. I am going to a 140gr bullet next year but this load shot 1/4" for me and works for what I hunted this year. NBT's just plain work how you want them to on Whitetail.

I recently worked with a Ruger American Compact in 7-08using factory ammo. Three loads were shooting 1.5-2.5" at 100. Then I tried some Hornady Precision Hunter with the ELD-X bullet and the group sizes shrank to 1". Same thing happened when I tried it in an older M700 in 30-06.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts