accuracy awp ,schmidt and bender take a dive

Gerald89

Just thought I would report in with the results of my latest equipment test/accident.

It was about midnight very calm and quite warm.
The awp sat on top of my pickup roof with my electricians 10mm rubber mat covering the cab to protect the paint and make a reasonable surface to shoot off.
I had just put it there from the ground and stood on the wheel to jump in the buck when it passed me kind of rolling off the truck roof!

To my slow motion horror it hit the ground bounced a bit and continued into a ditch /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
There was no round chambered but the magazine was in place.

When I got it out I brushed it down and it seemed to be OK.

I am not sure what type of mounts these are but they are steel weaver and they seem to have done their job.

Every thing seems to have survived, since then I have shot .36moa @ 100mtrs and the same at 350mtrs off the same roof at night!
There seems to have been a 15mm right shift in zero @100Mtrs and that's it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Well done to awp ,schmidt and bender!

Hey Pete, is "Jeza" your second nick on this forum? Just kidding... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yes, can someone throw a Leupold off a truck.
All in the name of science of course! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wasn't a Leupold but a Burris Signature...

I hit a hog hole a while back, cutting across one of our pastures, while cruising at a pretty good clip on my 4 wheeler. THe rifle flew out of the rack on the front about three feet or more in the air, and came down scope first on the top of the steel tubing which goes around the front rack. From there it was again bounced up in the air another couple of feet, as I was trying to stop, catch the rifle, and keep from going over the handle bars all in the same motion. Needless to say, that when the brakes went on, and I started forward over the top I let off the brakes, at which point the 4 wheeler ended up on top of the rifle.

Did it shift the point of impact? Yes it did. But it only took three shots on paper to get it back from the several inches it was off and has held up every since.

Just one more reason for me to pursue those danged hogs with extreme predudice.

I do know aguy who bought a brand new Nightforce and after mounting it with NF bases and rings went out and zeroed it, then proceded to hold his rifle out at arms length upside down and drop it on a hard dirt and gravel drive way. He is 6'3" tall. There was visible cosmetic damage to the out side of this scope. No zero change. This was done all in the name of science! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I know a guy who ran over his 375 H&H with his landcruiser but it was in the name of jack daniels not science /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

A Montana poke I work with fell headlong down a mountain in I-d-ho chas'in an elk with a Burris mounted on a Sendero...Scope went back to Burris for some adjustment, the poke needed some too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
db

you wouldn't notice any difference with an NXS if you dropped it,, it would just become part of the zero shift problem that comes as standard..

Pete

Pete,

The more you dog Nightforce, the less reputable you become in my opinion. You just begin to sound like someone with a chip on their shoulder. Much like the many people who rag on Mathews bows.

Kyle

Will I bought a new NSX 5x22x50 and it was no good from the start I had it for 2 months when I figured out what was going on .The back eye piece use to shift under recoil 300rum and I wouldn't buy one again .When I pay 2200.00 for a scope and it's no good from the start There is a problem somewere.I traded it for a mark4.They said they would fix it but it shouldn't been a problem in the frist place if there so good of a scope and I didn't drop it or bang it.Say like Pete once bite twice shy

I only know a cople of people that own nightforce, and they won't comment on the quality, but several around here with 300 rums will no longer own a leo because of the same reason.

I live in Canada and 5x22x50 nsx sells for 1949.00 plus taxes and shiping and thats what they sell for. I traded for a leo because I was loseing to much money Leo 1500.00 S&B is 3000.00 So I took the Leo for even trade thats what I got for my trade.I learn from my mistakes and the next time it will be a S&B

I have had good scopes and bad scopes from just about every maker. I bought a Nightforce after doing a lot of soul searching. I know a lot of .50 BMG shooters who use nothing but Nightforce and swear by them. I also know the scopes are highly respected in the tactical shooting community, including a buddy of mine who does long range work in Irag on a Seal team. My Nightforce has has proven to be nuts reliable and tough as nails with no shifting or zero.

On the flip side, a friend of mine tipped a Tubb 2000 rifle over in his reloading room. The gun was propped against the wall, he bumped it and it fell over on a carpeted floor. The scope needed to have the lenses cemented back into place. Go figure.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.