Simple Butt-Hook / AWP rear rest idea

Brown Dog

For those with rifles with butt-hooks (particularly Jeza and his new AWP) here is a ridiculously effective, simple and cheap rear-rest idea, that I would recommend:

P6030082.jpg

It's 2 bits of pvc-covered metal garden cane and some tape.

I do ALL my prone AWP shooting using these since I find the bean-bag/sock idea too low. Under ideal conditions (or in a tunnel range) I regularly attain 0.3MOA with this rest. In the field I expect 0.5MOA.

I carry 2 versions at all times in my smock pocket, a 5" and a 9" to suit ground conditions/bipod height/shooting angle.

The tape padding at the tips allows you to 'lock' the rifle vertically even if this rear rest is canted/uneven due to ground.

In use; make sure the rest is not vertical, but leaning back slightly into the butt-hook. Use your butt-hook hand to grasp both rest and stock. On hard/dry/very soft ground you may need to use this grasp to prevent the rest from splaying.

[Jeza, With the AWP, lean firmly into the front bipod. Be conscious of the surface you are on, if hard (dry mud etc), I recommend you put a jacket/similar between the bipod and surface for consistency of MPI. Then simultaneously lean down firmly on this rear rest]

Hope this may be of help!

Brown Dog, I have used same for many years and actually prefer them to Harris style bipods*

You might find it's performance improving if you attach 3 legs. The last one will be a little shorter and affixed at the "V", not protruding into it and disturbing the rifle.
This variant is almost universal in height as you just change the angle of the legs, and it's certainly more stable.

*(if I could have the Sako TRG bipod I'll take it - superb pice of equipment, very stable as rifles centreline is BELOW the bipods pivot point. I haven't tried them, but I believe the new bipods Sinclair now offer will give the same effect)

Where do you stalk in UK? I visit Dumfries every year.

Have you tried the accushot ASAI rear monopod for the AI rifles, it is alot better than their usual product and more expensive. I have one on mine. At the moment I am sorting out if it will be better with the PH bipod or Harris BRms. Used it at Bisley in the F class with the Harris, it was a lot better than the rear bag with the AI. Sporting Services in the uk might have one or two in.

Sierra22

99% of my stalking is North of Salisbury. The 1% is at reds in Inverness-shire; to which I normally make one pilgrimage per year ...this year I'm going up twice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif in Oct and Nov..... a bit of rugged terrain, the chance of a blizzard, demanding fieldcraft and the possibility of some challenging shooting make for my idea of Nirvana! Presumably you're primarily after roe in Dumfries?

ds

Interested on your feedback on the AI accupod. I've never had 'hands-on'with one -it's quoted height range seems too low for anything but horizontal or upward shots off a putting green /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
...are you only able to use it with the AI bipod set on minimum height?

Brown Dog,

First some measurements,in cm`s. If you measure the left hand side panell along the edge that runs next to the barrel and receiver and extend that edge to the front and rear of the stock, not including butt spacers the distance comes to 71cm. At either end of this 71cm I formed a right angle and measured distance to ground with both pods and the rear pod fully extended and fully closed.

Heres what I got, with the Harris BRms 6"-9" model. legs closed 19.5 cm to ground measured from front of stock, max rear pod elevation 23cm measured from rear of stock.

What you get is a 3.5cm decline over a distance of 71cm. guess the bullet would hit the ground about 15 yards in front assuming being fired from a level putting green.

With max extended legs and min rear pod extention 27.5cm at the front and 18cm at the rear. A steep incline.

PARKER HALE / AI. With legs closed and rear pod extended 23cm at the front and 22.5cm at the rear. Not quite horizontal.

With legs extended and rear pod min extention 30.5cm at the front and 18cm at the rear. Good for shooting space ships.

Thoughts, the Harris bipod offers more versitility, but also sits low, depending on build (I am small) this may not be comfortable, especially the butt pad. I use the AI adjustable one but this still only gives 2cm more elevation on the butt pad.

I think will work fine with the Harris, it should be possible to balance the rear pod height and bipod to be comfortable and stable and work. Less so for the PH but still good a lot of the time. It may be possible to squeeze and extra 1-2cm of adjustment out of the pod by shortening the female thread the male thread runs in. Not sure yet. The male thread is only a long hex bolt.

The pod folds down and back on the press of a button and works on a cam system. Very good, very neat and everything made in steel.

I did some photos if you would like them PM me your email addy and I will send them.

David

Brown Dog,
Not sure if this would work but you might consider holding the two legs together with two pairs of rubber "O" rings, one pair vertically between the sticks and the other pair at right angles, horizontally. Works very well for longer sticks.

I have got the rear pod on as DS says it is very well built I will give it some stick tomorrow morning and report back.

Thanks for the technique advise I was going to ask that exact question.

My first attempts were rubbish due to me being all over the place 1.2MOA.

Quite a shock to the system, I imagined that I would fall straight back into it and shoot sub moa.

Mind you I dont no what load it likes yet either.

Cheers

Jeza

Ian,

Thanks, the tape is slightly 'sacrificial' at the pivot....I use sections of rolled bicycle inner tube on my standing/sitting sticks.....can't remember if there was a reason I didn't do the same for these little sticks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jeza,

AWPs tend to thrive on Lapua factory 167 scenar......good luck!

Brown Dog
Yes, roe is primary quarry in Dumfries. I'm seeing more and more sika as well, the stalkers are having a hard time with them; fraying damage and about 200 man-hours per kill. Once in a while I drop into the Borders to shoot some big roe, as I mostly do woodlands stalking ni Dumfries.

I've been to Inverness and -shire a couple of times for the red hinds, prime sport, very much like our reindeer.

O-ring idea from Ian works, use the same, only forgot to mention.

Hello Matt

My AW is in .243Win!

Went out this morning with 70Gr Nos BT,70Gr speer tnt and 105Gr A max.

105's didn't connect with the target board (as expected).

70 Gr Nos Bt's went in at 0.6 Mao @ 200Mtrs.

Definitely due to my new technique, so thanks again for that.

Here is a little pick with the rear pod
DSC01969.jpg

From my position shooting over 12" high rape stubble but elevated by the edge of the field I found that the max I could work off the back pod by was two clicks up on the front pod.After that the rear pod hit the stop.

By the way biathlon slings where out of stock at the mo.

Jeza

Jeza,

Looking at your kit layout there; I reckon you and I should be starting a club!!:
P7170053.jpg
Even the spot you've tucked into looks like one of my zeroing spots...you're not actually in Wiltshire are you!!?

Good news about new technique/groups. What's the 12G for? ..restless natives?!

ds(and Jeza) thanks for the info on the accupod. As I suspected it is too low for my uses, I rarely have the AI bipod set low...no putting greens around here!

ahh, you boys are verging on the sad showing each other pics of your toys. i'd show you mines but i'd rather you now kill yourselves laughing. however, they both look very nice, even though they have skinny little short barrels /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

you have no chance with the 105's jezza as you'll have a 1 in 10 twist. what you need is some nice 80grain bergers. terribly accurate and i know someone who has just sold his 6mm rifle and has loads of the bloody things.

on a serious note, 87grain v-max's have a bc of .4 and would be an oustanding choice for you.

I am definitely in Suffolk! I think.

The 12G is for boarder raiders from Norfolk and or pigeons.

On the kit front I wasn't going to mention this but I should be called BD2 as well!

DSC01990.jpg

Talk about parallel worlds!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.