AI awp moderator

Thanks again for the advice everyone!

Brown dog
I went to see your scotland pics but they dont seem to work?

Biathlon strap ready to pick up when gun arrives!

The rifle is now 31days 17 hrs and three minites over due im not counting or anything though!
I will post my findings when I get it going and let you no what thread I end up with.

Hi Jeza,
Sorry for the long time in replying, I use an engineers 10x magnifying glass, check that the crown is even i.e. the width is consistant over the whole 360 deg. and also there are no dings. As the bullet does not touch the moderator there is no need for crown. (just noticed your're over the border in Suffolk, if you need a visa to visit Norfolk just call!)
Stag.

[ QUOTE ]
Jeza,
I have the AWP in 308. Excellent choice. You've just bought the toughest, most accurate rifle on the market /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Follow Derek's advice and get AI biathlon straps; I just lugged mine around the Highlands and noticed it less than a normal rifle on a normal sling...biathlon straps work! Also, I don't bother with a normal slip, just eagle industries scope and muzzle cover; when you have to crawl, drag it butt first beside you, crawl,drag it level, crawl, drag it level etc. AWs are strong enough to drive in fence posts, they don't even notice a bit of bumping in the mud (sounds a bit like a bird I once new /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif).
Let us know how the muzzle threading goes; I just can't bring myself to let someone mess with such a superb barrel! [JR of Border Barrels, are you reading this -what's your opinion?]

Stag,
What's the largest diameter thread available for the T8?

[/ QUOTE ]

The moderated AW's shoot much better with threaded muzzles..ha..You wanted opinion, I give you fact, hahah..

Largest thread diameter, or largest barrel diameter you can shove thru the Reflex?

The muzzle thread and cap shouldn't affect the harmonics too much, mind unless you are throwing a 3 inch muzzle cap 1/2 x 20 on a .900 muzzle diameter, and screwin 'er til she squeaks...Once you start shooting the t8, you'll never take her off other than storage...Main thing when remachining is make sure after driving the centre up the muzzle to thread, recrown or retouch crown after threading.. Or just get 'er done by a reputable type, shouldn't have a problem..We had a few FC rifles in a while back, factory rifles, haven't heard much agro from the kielder boys..we relapped the crowns just to be sure accuracy wouldn't be thrown off due to us..Probably shot better than before, the state of some of 'em...

JR

Hi Jeza,
The largest thread I've used is M19x1, this thread size has a can with a 28mm internal diameter, some only have 25mm.
Regards,
Stag.

Stag, JR,
Thanks for the info on thread sizes.
Now, to thoroughly reveal myself as a non-engineer:

To cut a thread on the muzzle of an AWP, how far do you have to strip the rifle?

The action can't be taken out of/off the stock. Would you therefore have to remove the barrel -or can it be cut 'in-place'?

Hi Brown Dog,
Puzzled as to why the barrel can't be taken out of the stock,is it a glue-in? Normally I remove all barrels from the action before turning the thread, the only exception being those that have a interferance fit i.e. some Steyrs, then I use a bolt-way mandrel (not my farourite method)

my word matt!

it's not like it's an operation your going in for! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

but seriously, any smith with the AI action wrench will have no problems. you could post it to borders like i did, but be carefull cause tnt ran over it with a forklift and i don't think you'd like to experience that kind of pain /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

buy a jet-z too, streets ahead of reflex imho

Stag,
The action is bolted and glued to the chassis.

Derek,
You're right. But I've got to look after the AW -never had a rifle this accurate before /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. I'd hate to mess it up.
Phoned Teague (as-in 'chokes') today; he wouldn't do the threading without reproofing. Not letting this rifle visit the proof house unnecessarily [did Border insist on reproof?].
Not sure how (if) I'll proceed. Lots of shops that sell guns in the SW -but no riflesmiths!

Just remember not to put the rifle away with the sound mod still on the rifle , as there have been a few cases of barrel corrosion with rifles that were stored for a period of time with a sound mod left on , which of course can be quite costly.

Brown Dog. The AI's are built together using Belzona for a bedding compound, the action is glued to the alluminium chassis by this method in conjunction with the action bolts/screws. It is a simple operation to remove the action from the chassis. All that is needed is a nylon lump hammer. If you visit the armourers shop you will probably infact definately find the procedure detailed some where in the EMER's. I cant remember if the procedure is a field or 2nd line repair off hand.
If i where you i would have the rifle taken appart. get the barrel removed, threaded, re crowned and re fitted. I would then have the rifle re assembled but i wouldn't glue it in to the chassis, i would put some release agent on the action. you would then be able to take the rifle off the chassis for purposes of stripped travel and or cleaning. In the event you cannot scrounge some Belzona from a battle dammage repair kit, then i would suggest Devcon, its very similar. Shame i'm across the channel, I'm an AI trained and approved Armourer and could do the work for you.. will work for beer !! you certainly don't need to fret about taking the thing appart, there is no voodoo or black magic involved. I periodicaly take the barrel of all my rifles just to give em a **** good cleaning.
Re-proofing after threading is ******** and just creating work and expense, but then the proof house has to justify its existence i guess. Make sure you get the right thread for the moderator you want to use and depending on the thickness of you barrel,and check wether that particular model requires the sleeve behind the thread or not, some do some dont. I would also suggest using a metric thread as apposed to an imperial thread. I've got M15x1 on all my rifles. but for fatter barrels id go a bit larger possibly.
Pete

stop screing around guys!

matt, i have an old bastard file and a half inch unf die lying around in the workshop, i'll do it for you no worries and i won't insist on re-proof! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.