AI AWP -Still Grinning! and any thoughts on copying a factory load?

Brown Dog

Just back from the range –still reeking of burnt propellant- and still very pleased with my AWP purchase
grin.gif
:

3 shots (including cold bore) 0.19MOA!

This was at 101metres with Lapua Factory loaded with 167 Scenars.

Using a stoney point comparator, the Lapua loads measure 56.7mm. Using that OAL as a starting point, I've tried to mimic the Lapua loads by loading 165 BTs to the same OAL over 44, 44.5 and 45gr of viht 140.
44.5gr put 5 rounds into 0.62MOA. Until I fire this load some more I won't know whether the accuracy decline is me or the load! Any thoughts?

Just time for another gratuitous picture of my AWP!:

Very nice rig, I have shot another AI and have gotten the same results that you have.

Excellent Rifle!

[ 06-03-2004: Message edited by: sr90 ]

A true thing of beauty, my friend!!

I would love an AI, but alas, they dont come in L/H version to my knowledge.
frown.gif

What power is your S&B PMII?? What kind of scope mounts are on that?? I think AI has there own mounts.

..sakofan..Thanks for sharing!!!

[ 06-04-2004: Message edited by: sakofan ]

Good shooting!!...we make most of the AW series barrels for AI, would be interested if it was a Border, the lads in the workshop would be right impressed with a group like that!!!so the chanting works, I told em it would...

JR

All: Thanks for the comments.

Sakofan: The S&B is 4-16, the mounts are AI's own manufacture. You are correct that the AIs are only r/h. You may remember my post asking for thoughts on getting one because I also shoot lefthanded (because of left dominant eye).
Might seem strange, but I just decided I would get the rifle and simply shoot it right handed! I knew that I could do this because my 'work' rifle is a r/h only design and I successfully -but begrudgingly!- learnt to use that successfully, including instinctive /snap shooting -in fact, to my knowledge, no lefthanders have failed to make a successful conversion to the cack-handed rifle. Not cool, but we have no choice!
Bottom line was, that I wanted a seriously accurate and seriously rugged rifle. This is the first rifle I've owned that shoots brilliantly yet feels as strong as a girder! Give it a go -you can always sell it!

Brown Dog,
The performance and photo's of you shooting results!
I was uncertain if I should purchase a new Accuracy Iinternational AWM .300 Win Mag... or a custom built rifle.
Your rifle's results cinched it for me...and I went with AI.
Thanks for your post.

Semper Fi

hi brown dog

very impressive shooting!

if i could figure out how to post images, i'd post some of my groups from my AI AE.....

i think i'd give you a run for your money....

LOL!!!!

derek

Lefties,

You might get in touch with Jeff Hicks at HD Rifles..I think he is doing a LH conversion on the AICS, which you can clamp your LH rem 700 into, and I'm sure it will rock..

JR

album

if this works
this is a 5 shot group at 100m from my AI AE with 150SST's and 44gr of Varget (with a border barrel i believe)

derek

try again, sorry folks!!!

if this works
this is a 5 shot group at 100m from my AI AE with 150SST's and 44gr of Varget (with a border barrel i believe)

derek
album

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts