Kydex cheek rest idea-with pictures

Ckgworks

I have a HS Precision stock on a rifle that someone had done a rough job inletting a new DBM bottom metal prior to me obtaining it. I started out just planning to redo the shape/fit around the mag, and like many of my quick projects, one thing leads to another.........and another.....After cleaning up the bottom metal fit, I re-bed the action, which led to adding grip with epoxy, and buying a cheap airbrush and playing with paint. Sitting waiting for paint to dry, I started thinking about adding a cheek rest, of course I didn't think about it until it was painted and if you did it prior to paint, you could end up with a much smoother transition on the imbeded studs......Anyway I'm sure someone has done one this way before, but I thought I'd throw it out there as an idea....time will tell how it holds up, but I can't see why it won't work. I like the "floating" look, and the no knob smoothness. I shoot left hand, so this allows either right (kids) or left hand shooting without anything to catch.
Basically, I installed two threaded inserts into the top of the stock with epoxy and contoured when dry. I formed the cheek piece and two small strips over an old shotgun stock before epoxing the whole mess together. This was just to build a little mass to counter sink the screws into, and you could probably get away without it if you used thicker Kydex, but I was using what I had on hand. Shim to height with neoprene rubber, or metal spacers and tighten down. I used a couple of firm rubber automotive spacers from the local ACE Hardware, and the rubber squished a little for a nice tight pad.

Now....if only I would have added flush cups prior to painting...:(

View attachment 99733
View attachment 99738 View attachment 99739

Attachments

• 20180609_222024.jpg
    20180609_222024.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 190
  • 20180613_221320.jpg
    20180613_221320.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 191
  • 20180613_221355.jpg
    20180613_221355.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 184
  • 20180613_221112.jpg
    20180613_221112.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 207
Agree....if I was to do it over I would use a insert like this one..... I was unsure what I was going to find when I drilled in and was worried I wouldn't have enough support!
images (4).jpeg

I hate those inserts! Only because I used to have to rely on them being made accurately enough to use in an injection mold. (They rarely were)

They work very well tho. I've been contemplating making a press mold for a carbon fiber cheek piece. Could be extremely light.

so what did you find when drilled into the stock? I have a hs precision stock that I would like to do this too.

The inside of the HS Precision stock in the butt section has a grey foam type material, at least mine does. Check out the Karsten Kydex cheek risers. I installed one on my HS Precision. It is adjustable and fits well.

Elkeater- My stock had some type of hard material under the shell, I'm not going to SWAG what it was, but it was fairly hard. I drilled with a small drill bit first to see what I hit before drilling actual hole size. The front hole was solid as deep as I drilled, (7/8") and the rear hole went into air space after about 7/8". If mine had had foam or air space, I had planned to make a cavity under the thread location and fill it with Epoxy.
To the others who replied.....Thanks for the kind words!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.