Wildcat bullets consistency and accuracy!

Re: Questions for Kirby or anybody else using the WC872 or 860 powders

I tried the WC-872 today with the 200 grain Accu Bond and 112 grains averaged 3216 fps with great consistencey.Also tried 113 grain not much gain in speed and more spread from high to low so I believe that I will shoot the 112 grain load next week for acurracy.

Thanks for suggesting the WC872 powder Kirby.
I got out today and managed to shoot some with SMK's over it and everything you told me about the powder held true.

#1 the burn rate is slower than H-870 by a good bit and slower than H-50BMG as well.
#2 At lower pressures it will look like a coal factory in the tube.

I got some pics that I will post later of how it worked so far that show the groups tightening up as I increased powder charge and of course pressure.
I didn't get any loads chroned because of the weather and raining on and off but I see I'm going in the right direction with the powder.
So far I'm up to 102 grains of WC872 which is 2 grains over the H-50BMG charge I was using which was max. I have no pressure signs yet so I'm going to keep going up in half grain increments until I get the best groups or see pressure signs.
I will get the pics I have so far uploaded soon so you can see how the groups closed up with the pressure increase.
Thanks again Kirby!

7MM I worked up in 2 grain increments and my best load is with a compacted 115 grains of WC-872 with 180 grainers. It is deffinatley a slow powder I think that it will work for you in the 7 RUM

Alright here is pic #1 [image][/image]
Group #2 All these are 3 shot groups at 100 yards with 168 grain Sierra SMK's loaded to fit the mag. [image][/image]
Group #3 I didn't get any velocities because of the weather. I had to run in and out in between showers to shoot these. [image][/image]
I didn't measure any of these groups but all except the last one are around 1 inch to an inch and 1/4. [image][/image]
This last one was the best and I still have more room for powder even though I have already exceeded my H-50BMG load by 2 full grains with no excessive pressure sign at all!
[image][/image] These groups looked better and better everytime the powder was increased so I'm going to keep moving up in half grain increments until I find the sweet spot. I wanted to try the ladder test abinok emailed me but with no known max load for this powder, bullet, caliber combo I had to go the long drawn out way ( thanks abinok ).

I think your right jwp! It's looking good so far. I started a little low for the powder because I got a bunch of black powder residue when I cleaned it after only 15 shots and my groups were big compared to normal for this bullet so I know the pressure had to be low but as it came up the groups got better as you can see in the pics.

Oh one more thing Kirby was right about with this powder it burns cooler than H-50BMG and H-1000 so far after 3 shots only luke warm compared to very warm with the others with BMG being the hottest.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.