? accuracy and performance of Amax in LRH

drpbroun5

I am considering using a 208 gr Amax in a 300 Win Mag that I am having made for LRH on elk and mule deer. Does anyone have any experience with this bullet in high velocity as well as lower velocity game strikes? How do you compare the performance of this bullet to others on game? How does it fly compared to others, in other words - accuracy? Thanks.

It's an awesome bullet in all calibers. Scary accurate. Kyle brown held the 1000 yard record with it for a while though that was I believe the 6mm 105 and as far as hunting it has preformed flawlessly for me from the 168 out of a 308 where I have confirmed kills to 800 yds to the 140 where I just went 8 for 8 at various ranges this past weekend helping a friend cull some deer and hogs at his ranch. I shoot the 208 out of my 30 Hart basically a 300 wby really improved at a bit over 3100 and will shoot 10 shot groups I can cover with a dime and kill anything. It's a great do it all round for paper and game. You won't be disappointed.
Happy thanksgiving to all,
Don

I know this isn't exactly what you are looking for but, I wacked my coues last year with a 168 AMAX out of my .30-06 at about 140 yds through the shoulders. Mv was 2800 fps. He jumped once when hit and was done. Wrecked both of his shoulders (didn't have to track him but not so good for the meat). Fragments coming out the exit wound(s).'
Chris

I recently have shot some deer at 200-250yds with the 208 amax
in my 300 win and they performed awesome.
So for short range work they had no problem
all deer dropped on the spot

I also shot an antelope at 580yds with the 7mm
162 gr amax with identicAl results.
As well As one at410 yds.
I've never shot a big animal like an elk though.

For that I have my 338 lapua Improved

Thanks for the posts. Does anyone have exerience with the Amax bullets terminal performance at long range ( 600+ yards)? Please someone discuss the accuracy and flight characteristics (accuracy, wind bucking, etc.) of the randge of bullets that are available in a high velocity rifle such as the 300 Win Mag or faster. Thanks.
Paul

Does anyone have any suggested accuracy loads with this bullet for LRH in a 300 Win Mag?

I have taken long range caribou, deer and antelope with the 208 amax at 3210 fps from a 300 RUM. Thin jackets create devastating wound channels on close shots. Jackets are to thin for elk but do well with caribou size and smaller. Here are photos from two consecutive shots on the same morning this year. Deer was 1033 yards and the antelope was 904 yards. Bullet worked perfect. they are very accurate.

011.jpg

021.jpg

for me in my 5R chambered in a 300wm useing the 208gn A-max I am useing this.rem brass with CCI 250 primers and 76.0 gn's of H1000.the load is running just over 2800 FPS.and shoots really well from my rifel.just wish I could get my hands on some more of the A-max's.only have 100 more left till I run out of them.

and yeah they worked really great on the deer I shot this year.nice little hole in and a silver dollar size hole on the way out.

Kiwi Nate,
Super shooting! I greatly enjoyed your videos. Have you shot bigger animals (elk size) with the Amax? Thanks for your post.

Long Time,

Do you have any suggestions for a large animal (elk size) bullet that flys as good and performs at low and high velocities that is comparable to the Amax on deer? Great shooting. Thanks.

Paul

200 grain accubond and swift scirroco. swift is a tougher bullet but I think 180 grain is the largest. 200 ab has highest bc at .588 or so. It is very accurate and is a choice for many on elk.

Yes, shot plenty of Boar (tough game) with the Amax, skin thickness of 1 to 1.5" and of the consistancy of a car tyre. Its something you have to get your head around though, you make a sacrifice in bullet integrety so that at long range where velocity is low, wounding will be broad. At close range, the explosive bullets can be a problem on tough game so you have two options, either use a different load or drill it into yourself that you have a soft load, watch your shot placement and be on guard for possible problems and if need be, rapid follow up shots.

Boar hunting can be a funny thing though, I have had bullets of every brand fail to penetrate skulls, core bonded bullets ricochet and soft bullets explode- but soft high SD bullets get the job done in a consistent manner.

Honestly, I will tell you what I tell my clients when it comes to the discussion of frangible bullets at magnum velocities for allround use (0-1200 yards)- use the projectile on all of your game (within reason, not talking Grizzly or cape buff here!), learn its strengths, learn its weaknesses and work to the projectiles strengths.

Hope that helps, Nathan.

Can someone(s) please compare the 208 gr. Amax to the 210 gr. Berger hunting bullet in flight characteristics as well as terminal performance. Please include info on elk and deer as well as high and low velocities. Thanks.

Paul

Can someone(s) please compare the 208 gr. Amax to the 210 gr. Berger hunting bullet in flight characteristics as well as terminal performance. Please include info on elk and deer as well as high and low velocities. Thanks.

Paul

Paul, my way of seeing it, it's a waste of time comparing the two bullets because they're so much alike that the values out of a comparison will just be dull, meaning almost no difference.

The only value I was able to find with a little more difference would be the following:

Considering 5000 ft of altitude, BC for Berger 0.631 and for Amax = 0.648

Berger is supersonic at up to 1945 yards
and Amax is supersonic at up to 2000 yards

With that said, terminal performance is what would be left to compare. I have experience with the Berger but not with the Amax; but based on what I've read, they'd be pretty much alike. I do have 400 bullets 208 Amax that I have not tested yet. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.