In search of performance

I used the 7mm 140 ballistic tips this season. 3 bucks were killed with them...none exited with shots tucked up behind the shoulder. 130 yards was the furthest. One never took a step and the other two ran 40-50 yards.

I've bought some 120's to try next season but only because I prefer an exit. Where I hunt is mesquite country so the two that ran I didn't see fall...so I'd prefer a blood trail.
I think a light bullet loaded hot might do it. Kinda like a 22 and a bullet proof vest.

I'm usually a heavy for caliber fan but I've had great luck with the Barnes 120 TTSX and IMR 4064. Great accuracy and always gets an exit wound but deer usually bang flop. Not really a long range choice however. Good luck!!
Accubonds look like they are up to the task. But you can't find any. So I think a lot of people are using them. Problem I guess is there a lot of different kinds of 7mms. Just like 6.5s.

I already have 120s coming, but I was thinking 139s for hunting. Only problem is I don't have rifle property. I'm focusing on long range shooting.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.