Acceptable Accuracy For Hog Hunting

This is the type who will go out take a 300 yds shot and miss and blame the gun. While finishing up a 12 pack of beer. Then go home and tell the wife how they killed dozens of pigs.

A 300 win mag is a lot of gun for pigs unless it is just to kill them and leave them

The red & white target is mine, the 3 shots LR are my ML. I peeled the black circle off his backer and stuck it onto the other target. The black circle is his combined groups at both 50&100 yds
I was looking at the lower right hand corner target too 🤣, looks like you're ready to go… the other guy not so much… maybe he had shot all the ammo he'd brought or…. his shoulder was just killing him.

Last edited:
The red & white target is mine, the 3 shots LR are my ML. I peeled the black circle off his backer and stuck it onto the other target. The black circle is his combined groups at both 50&100 yds
That would not be acceptable for me. I would hope to get a better shot group so as to not make a fool of myself in front of others on the hunt. At least when it came to shooting. lol

Commonly, minute of hog equals pie plate x bottle of mid priced whiskey + 2 boxes of 150 gr Core Lokts - any distance over 75 yds (cause that is max distance for them). All of that equals a good time was had by all and likely a shirt tail was cut off somewhere in the mix and hangover protocol was enlisted!!! Oh, forgot, no animals were injured during this period of "good time"!!!!

Honest reply to the OP question is, the distance of the shot is of maximum relevance in this discussion. It is likely that 100 yds is the absolute maximum distance that the observed "shooter" would take any shot. So 6 MOA +- is "good enough" to kill the hog...... or not.

Where I live, a paper plate trumps a pine knot on a tree.

These guys never clean their rifles, do not own a gun case, only shoot to verify pine knots on a tree sight in, when they miss a deer. Distance from the top of the car hood to pine Knot is of no consequence. To verify zero, they may just shoot the pine tree down.

These guys never clean their rifles, do not own a gun case, only shoot to verify pine knots on a tree sight in, when they miss a deer. Distance from the top of the car hood to pine Knot is of no consequence. To verify zero, they may just shoot the pine tree down.
🤣😂🤣 I did shoot down a paper plate hanging pine tree…. I was a lot younger then (didn't know what I was doing and still mostly don't) when a buddy asked me if I'd help him sight in his new gun and scope for his out of state elk hunt, it took almost 2 boxes of 30.06 for me to tell him his brand new scope wouldn't hold zero. He took it right back to True Value Hardware and upgraded it to the next higher model Tasco.

I've done a 4 inch maple with a 4-10 slug when I was younger. The old 183k did quite well. The tree not so much.

I've done a 4 inch maple with a 4-10 slug when I was younger. The old 143k did quite well. The tree not so much.
The one I killed was probably 8" and 40' tall, I was really surprised when it started cracking and coming down. I didn't mention his replacement Tasco fogged up so badly inside that it totally ruined his elk hunt.

I don't know how much of this was in jest, but I had something like this happen at my place with a guy that I allowed to deer hunt my land. Long story short, he didn't get a deer and when I was next on property, I found one of my LARGE oaks next to my gun range had a target on it and 20-30 rounds shot into the target and tree. I call up my buddy and asked if he did any shooting while "deer hunting" and he explained that he needed to sight in his rifle so he put a target on one of my trees. When I asked why he didn't use my targets on my gun range (400 yard rifle range with tables at 50, 100, 200, 300, and 400 yards), he said because he hadn't asked permission to use my range. Well, he didn't ask permission about shooting up a tree that is probably over 100 years old AND he did use my rifle range, one of the shooting tables from which he shot the tree. He didn't even bother taking his target from my tree. Needless to say, he won't ever be on my property again.

There are people out there, pretty much like you explained and I experienced.

The point is that your little story isn't far from what I have experienced.