Outfitters for Hog Hunting

Varmint Hunter

Since I live in a hog-free state, I travel out-of-state to shoot hogs. On a few trips it didn't take long to figure out that the entire operation was a scam and they were just designed to let each hunter take a single hog and then spend the rest of the time sitting in stands where there was zero chance of seeing another hog. This happened in SC and Georgia.

I'm looking for a recommendation for a hunting outfitter/lodge where we can hunt free range hogs and where real shooting opportunity exists. I'm happy to donate the hog meat and view the hunt as taking invasive vermin. I'm not looking for a trophy hog hunt. I'm also not looking to spend thousands of dollars and a week's time to travel out-o-of state to take a single hog. I do have Pulsar thermal optics and my own firearms, if that matters.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I don't have a specific outfitter in mind as it's not something I shop for.

I'd look at Texas but will say this. If you're looking for low fence you need to look for someone who targets hogs.

I'd look for someone with lots of property; be it a large ranch or numerous smaller ranches. Hogs are by nature nocturnal and nomadic even when low pressured. They can be here today and gone tomorrow.

I'd look for someone who has lighted feeders or better yet night vision optics.

If you really want to have some fun add a trip over dogs. It's a whole other level of fun.

Every one in TX want hogs killed. Until you show up with your gun. Then you reach into your walker about 10 times to pay for everything.
TX love hogs and they get what they deserve With crop damage etc. MD

To answer the comment above, it's true land owners do complain about hogs. They're destructive to pasture and crop lands. If a land owner can recoup some of his loss through hunting then I don't blame him. Same goes for ranchers out west charging to hunt prairie dogs or predators. Farming and ranching is an extremely hard business to make a living on and they need to make the land as productive as possible.

Additionally, hunting is a very ineffective way to truly control the population. High hunting pressure will move them much like ant poison in your yard. The best way to control numbers is trapping, helicopters, dogs and poison. Hunting with dogs can take high numbers but will move then around just like rifle or bow hunting will. Poison is a great option being tested but a hog specific poison or way for them to get the poison without other animals is the problem.

Having said that, I'm headed out tonight to try for a lone boar that's been frequenting my feeder off an on for a couple of weeks. If I don't get him in this weekend I'll be too busy for the next few weeks and we'll bring a dog in to snag him. My land owner will loose his religion at the mere sight of rooting in his pasture or freshly planted corn field.

I don't have a specific outfitter in mind as it's not something I shop for.

I'd look at Texas but will say this. If you're looking for low fence you need to look for someone who targets hogs.

I'd look for someone with lots of property; be it a large ranch or numerous smaller ranches. Hogs are by nature nocturnal and nomadic even when low pressured. They can be here today and gone tomorrow.

I'd look for someone who has lighted feeders or better yet night vision optics.

If you really want to have some fun add a trip over dogs. It's a whole other level of fun.
I just picked up a night scope, (as in it arrived yesterday) still need to sight it in. I figure on an M-21 it will do a nice job on any pig I might run into.

Since I live in a hog-free state, I travel out-of-state to shoot hogs. On a few trips it didn't take long to figure out that the entire operation was a scam and they were just designed to let each hunter take a single hog and then spend the rest of the time sitting in stands where there was zero chance of seeing another hog. This happened in SC and Georgia.

I'm looking for a recommendation for a hunting outfitter/lodge where we can hunt free range hogs and where real shooting opportunity exists. I'm happy to donate the hog meat and view the hunt as taking invasive vermin. I'm not looking for a trophy hog hunt. I'm also not looking to spend thousands of dollars and a week's time to travel out-o-of state to take a single hog. I do have Pulsar thermal optics and my own firearms, if that matters.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
****, New York!
Just joking, try some places in south Texas these folks seem to have an abundance of hogs. I'll have to say that for folks that have an abundance of hogs And want to charge an arm and a leg for them and gripe all the time about how much damage they do.

I just wounded about how much damage they're doing.

****, New York!
Just joking, try some places in south Texas these folks seem to have an abundance of hogs. I'll have to say that for folks that have an abundance of hogs And want to charge an arm and a leg for them and gripe all the time about how much damage they do.

I just wounded about how much damage they're doing.
yeah, I did a hunt in OK about three years ago, got a buff, tried for pigs, but the only shot I had was across the front of my hunting buddy, and not safe. I saw first hand how much damage they do, and have come to the conclusion that we eat pigs because THEY DESERVE IT.

As a land owner in Texas, that has had hogs for over 25 years I have found that dealing with hunters is worse than dealing with hogs. Ground hunting is a poor way to control them anyway. I'm not saying anyone on this thread is a problem hunter, just as a land owner in Texas it's **** hard to find good hunters.

As a land owner in Texas, that has had hogs for over 25 years I have found that dealing with hunters is worse than dealing with hogs. Ground hunting is a poor way to control them anyway. I'm not saying anyone on this thread is a problem hunter, just as a land owner in Texas it's **** hard to find good hunters.
fair enough, might I provide references?

We run Pig Brig traps now. No need to hunt and we have been keeping hog numbers in check. There are a few helicopters running around the area offering aerial hunts and they are pretty effective. I can find a contact for one of them.

After trapping all we usually have left are a few rouge boars, they get pretty smart and stay nocturnal.

Attachments

• 39F9BA2F-B710-458F-AE0F-956925B7B556.jpeg
    39F9BA2F-B710-458F-AE0F-956925B7B556.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 144