Absolute Hammer load data

RockyMtnMT

Official LRH Sponsor
I think this will work. @GLTaylor has been compiling load data from folks working up loads with the new Absolute Hammer bullets. Thanks to him for his hard work. I figured I would post it in a place where guys can find it more easily. If my link doesn't work then George can put his link in here.

Last edited:
Here is the latest data: 3/28/2024

Preamble:
Action lengths, magazine capacities, chamber dimensions and freebore can be
different for every rifle, even within the same cartridge/caliber. This can affect the potential COAL and CBTO for every rifle. Measure AND establish both the maximum COAL and CBTO for
YOUR rifle before loading any bullet, including Hammers. Do not simply follow generic guidelines. Never Assume these loads will work in Your rifle. Always measure and verify!

Since the COAL and CBTO measurements are unique to each rifle listed, any changes to those dimensions can affect pressure. The loads listed were deemed safe in those specific rifles by the submitter of that load. Use standard safe reloading practices to work up a safe load in your rifle.

Attachments

• Absolute Hammer Post 3-28-24.pdf
    360.2 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Absolute Hammer 151 gr, 22" Tikka WSM, 0.05" off lands, Winchester brass.
I started with 52 gr H4895. Good accuracy and ES but low velocity, 2735 fps. I will work up but don't have high hopes for 4895 getting to where I want without pressure issues.

I shoot the 110 Hammer Hunters and just tried the 109 Absolutes in my factory barreled Tikka Superlight 6.5 cm with a 8" twist. My current proven load is 41.9 grains of Varget @ 3115 fps with the 110 Hammer Hunters, that is where I started and went up from there with the same CBTO 2.115". Loads became compressed with 42.8 grains with only a 45 fps gain over regular 110 HH's. I have attached my target with my data using Varget powder. Steve did let me know that I will probably have to move up to a faster burning powder when using the Absolute's but recommended starting with the Varget and see how much more I could get out of my case capacity (Lapua brass). Even after loading another .9 grains of Varget from my normal load, the group still managed to hang around at a very respectable .750" from a 100 yards. I then switched to IMR 8208 XBR and will attach those findings shortly. All velocities were recorded with a Chrony @ 10' from muzzle.

Attachments

• 20201018_132931_001.jpg
    20201018_132931_001.jpg
    844 KB · Views: 673
I then moved to some IMR 8028 XBR powder with the same rifle/109 Absolute combination. I started low at 37 grains and worked my way up to pressure (which I found @ 42.5 grains and 3270 fps). Minor bolt lift, no ejector marks but threw point of impact out of group so I decided to stop there. What amazed me is that up until I hit pressure at 42.5 grains, my load had increased by 5 whole grains (1 whole gr increments) along with an overall increase of 400 fps and still maintained a 6 shot group right at 1"! I will back off and work up a few loads and see if I can put together a load with IMR 8208 XBR, looks pretty promising tho.

Attachments

• 20201018_132958.jpg
    20201018_132958.jpg
    752.2 KB · Views: 440
I think I could especially if I switched to Hornady brass. I figured 100-150 fps over the standard 110 HH is a good pick up... I'm not in a hurry to switch yet, I have a ton of Varget and only a pound of 8208 xbr. Lol

I'm not disputing the results or anything, this is legit exciting. I'm just having a hard time believing 3450 FPS with a 178 grain in a .300 win mag and no massive overpressure. And I very much want to believe, i shoot a .300 win mag. I probably will end up trying to see for myself, don't want to seem
negative it's just that if there's one thing life teaches us it's that 9 times out of 10 if something seems too good to be true it probably is. But there's always hope for that 1 time....