Absolute Hammer load data

I'll have to look it up.
I decided to go to the 109 gr Absolute in my 6.5 Norma. At 3511 fps, it's a "hold on fur" to 400 yards and should be perfect for pronghorn this fall. Wanted something flat and fast in case I didn't have time to dial..........learned this lesson last year with very nervous pronghorn in SE Colorado.
Tell me more about this 6.5 Norma please. :D

Steve Davis had always suggested using magnum primers with his bullets, but recently said that non magnum primers are working well in smaller cartridges.
Depends on the rifle and cartridge. I've loaded various Hammers in 8 calibers so far. In 2, I pressured out early (prematurely) using mag primers. Switched to regular primers and gained 2 or more grains of powder in each case. Ignition became more consistent and velocity increased more smoothly. Both were in cartridges holding 60-70 grs of powder. Guess you don't know til you try?

Depends on the rifle and cartridge. I've loaded various Hammers in 8 calibers so far. In 2, I pressured out early (prematurely) using mag primers. Switched to regular primers and gained 2 or more grains of powder in each case. Ignition became more consistent and velocity increased more smoothly. Both were in cartridges holding 60-70 grs of powder. Guess you don't know til you try?
Will give this a try for sure!

I have had better luck with standard primers and increased neck tension
Ive learned that the Hammers may require more neck tension, and that's why the Lee Crimp Die has been so great with Hammers. Bean taught me to use the Lee FCD about 7 years ago when he was kind enough to help out a novice hand loader with a new 7 STW. I've crimped everything since.

It's my 6.5-284 Norma. Basically the same ballistically as your PRC and the 6.5-06.
I just shortened it to 6.5 Norma because I figured you were following what I was saying earlier when I kept referring to the 6.5-284.
I've got a 6.5-284 Norma also and now you just got me headed to the shed to see how my brass situation is so I can start another project. Got a Unit 10 Antelope tag in Az trying to get prepared for. Unit 10 tags are hard to come by as is any Az goat tag.

I've got a 6.5-284 Norma also and now you just got me headed to the shed to see how my brass situation is so I can start another project. Got a Unit 10 Antelope tag in Az trying to get prepared for. Unit 10 tags are hard to come by as is any Az goat tag.
It's kind of a better version of a 257 Weatherby load. I'm using HV100
Below is my 300 yard group last week with swirling winds.

Attachments

• 1D66B1F1-235B-436F-A0D2-A922E1CCFCC7.jpeg
    1D66B1F1-235B-436F-A0D2-A922E1CCFCC7.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 47
Thats great accuraccy good vel you probally and get a little more2 gr less is a lot my suggestion work back up in .2 or.3 gr incriments im loading 131 gr 6 5 prc with N165 26 in 25 in Bartlein around 3180 57.3 grs cci250 hornady brass seated oal 2.970 with a .145 freebore
As an FYI, I talked to Steve yesterday. They have introduced a new Absolute Hammer for .22 shooters. The new one is a 73gr that requires a 1-7.25 twist.
Have at it!
G
I have some load data for the 123 gr absolutes and 6.5 prc how do you post it I'm not sure how too post it

Recent Posts