Absolute best scale.

My recommendation to the Op is use calibrated weights to verify the accuracy of his scale and if it is accurate continue using it. Why waste money on another scale if he has a perfectly good scale?
Anyone reloading should have a set of calibrated weights to verify their scale is accurate.

My recommendation to the Op is use calibrated weights to verify the accuracy of his scale and if it is accurate continue using it. Why waste money on another scale if he has a perfectly good scale?
Anyone reloading should have a set of calibrated weights to verify their scale is accurate.

+1
And If it's not working properly, contact RCBS. They'll take care of you.

are we talking about a beam scale or a digital scale

If it is digital then they drift. you have to watch them closely to know when they have drifted. I find it much easier to have two digitals sitting side by side then if they agree I have at least a 90% assurance that the load is correct.

I have calibration rates and I calibrate prior to loading and often during loading when I have taken a break.

Do a search on "bald eagle" scales from grizzly supply. They are under $100 and are a crazy nice scale for the money. I bought one after a review by a pretty well known shooter on another site.

This also measures down to .01 grain on the readout....and it trickles up nicely and has been very consistant for me. It knows every granule I drop on the pan.

So I checked my trickling technique on my 1010 scale against the digital.
I found my weakest load vrs my strongest load on the 1010 scale throwing 50 grains of varget was .08 grains different. If you put that on quickload shooting a 3006 it means an extreme spread of 4 fps......thats right.....4 fps or plus or minus 2 fps from the middle of the pack.
I also checked my hornady auto dispenser and found it was within spec. They are supposed to be plus or minus .1 grain...almost everything fell into plus or minus .075 grain and that means an extreme spread of 8 fps....or plus or minus 4 fps from the target load.
So...all things considered it looks like most of these scales are plenty good for MOST OF US.
It would sure seem that internal case capacity, perhaps primer consistancy, flash holes, variances in neck tension and general acts of god are going to come into play more than the scales. But....Im glad I spent the money on the new scale cause I can check the others from time to time.

Do a search on "bald eagle" scales from grizzly supply. They are under $100 and are a crazy nice scale for the money. I bought one after a review by a pretty well known shooter on another site.

This also measures down to .01 grain on the readout....and it trickles up nicely and has been very consistant for me. It knows every granule I drop on the pan.

So I checked my trickling technique on my 1010 scale against the digital.
I found my weakest load vrs my strongest load on the 1010 scale throwing 50 grains of varget was .08 grains different. If you put that on quickload shooting a 3006 it means an extreme spread of 4 fps......thats right.....4 fps or plus or minus 2 fps from the middle of the pack.
I also checked my hornady auto dispenser and found it was within spec. They are supposed to be plus or minus .1 grain...almost everything fell into plus or minus .075 grain and that means an extreme spread of 8 fps....or plus or minus 4 fps from the target load.
So...all things considered it looks like most of these scales are plenty good for MOST OF US.
It would sure seem that internal case capacity, perhaps primer consistancy, flash holes, variances in neck tension and general acts of god are going to come into play more than the scales. But....Im glad I spent the money on the new scale cause I can check the others from time to time.

I am in the process of doing a little experiment to prove or disprove what your post implies. Hope you are right and I can just start throwing charges. So much faster

Thought anyone who had not read it already might find what the PRS shooters use to throw charges interesting:
Reloading Like A Pro - Tips From Top Precision Rifle Shooters - PrecisionRifleBlog.com

Article mentions Prometheus, Sartorius, scales that have not been mentioned in this thread but I have no personal experience with this high end kit.

oh yeah

I posted a utube video of the Prometheus on this thread. Awesome but expensive. I think they quit making them.

I am fixing to start a new experiment. I hear all the time that you don't need to measure your powder to the closest 0.02 grains. I am going to load up 50 with the Harrell, still checking my weights and recording them, and see what it does to AV, ES and SD. Then I am going to load 50 and keep it +/- 0.01. and see what happens.

A video I watched with David Tubb said that a 1gr powder charge difference out of a 243 will make a 1.5inch difference at 250yards. That's 1 entire grain, not 1/10th.

I know that doesn't talk directly to your AV/ES/SD scenario. But that's why we track those variable correct?

Later in the same video he said you can be up to .5gr off and still have overlapping holes if you are loading in the accuracy node for that rifle.

He stated that your primer flash hole is more important for your accuracy than the powder charge. And that he doesn't weigh every charge unless he is shooting a large capacity cartridge past 600 yards. He normally just throws his charges. (This was an older video and I have been informed that he uses a Prometheus these days).

I don't take anything I read or hear as gospel until I test it myself. Although it was interesting to hear a person like David Tubb making those statements.

50 fps es will only give you about 2" of vertical at 600 yds with a high bc bullet.
But for the guys that shoot real long range it becomes much bigger.
That same es at 1200 yds equals about 14" of vertical.

I had a Prometheus I, but ultimately sold it. It was spectacularly accurate in its ability to throw a consistent load time after time. (as in single grain of powder accurate). Unfortunately, the set up to change loads from rifle to rifle was fairly extensive. I currently load for and actively shoot 5 different rifles, with powder loads varying from 46 gr. (CFE 223 - .308) to 104.5 (RL-33 for .338LM Improved). The set up time made using it prohibitive (at least to me) so I sold it. The newer Prometheus II - is leased NOT purchased from the builder. It is supposed to be faster in the load-to-load metering than the model that I had, but not really much faster in set up time.)

JeffVN

Don't mean to hijack this thread but a few years back there was a guy that worked on/calibrated/repaired beam scales. After multiple searches I can not find his name or info. Anyone know of whom I'm referring to?

I use the Gempro 250 also. It's the only scale I use.

I've been really impressed by this scale. It's super accurate and best of all repeatable. It's one of if not the best reloading purchase I've made.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.