Absolute best scale.

Bear cat

So in the pursuit of greater precision what do you guys think is the best scale to get for reloading? I use a rcbs chargemaster 1500 at the moment. I'm looking for the greatest accuracy I can get.

What do you fellas suggest? Jewelry scales, medical scales... Give me a few ideas.

Thanks folks

The Gempro 250 is a moderate cost jewelry scale that a lot of reloaders use, including me. It is accurate down to .02 Gr.

I use a Hornady Auto Charge for a thrower. I throw about .2 gr. short and then trickle up on the Gempro. Works for me.

I just pulled some Creedmoor loads the other day. They were 2 years old. I had documented the charge weight for them. I pulled the case and weighed the powder on the Gempro. It was exactly the same as when I loaded the ammo. Nice.

A single kernel of H1000 weighs about .02 Gr. So you can pretty much weight to the kernel.

So in the pursuit of greater precision what do you guys think is the best scale to get for reloading? I use a rcbs chargemaster 1500 at the moment. I'm looking for the greatest accuracy I can get.

What do you fellas suggest? Jewelry scales, medical scales... Give me a few ideas.

Thanks folks

Braise yourself, this could get very interesting ...

Same deal here. I use a Hornady auto-charge and then fine tune with the gem pro 250. Gem pro has a lifetime warranty.

I use an A&D FX120i scale . I bought it from these guys in canada . it's a magnetic force scale , not a strain gauge . if I had to buy another scale , I'd buy the FX120i again .

Search Results: FX-120i - Cambridge Environmental Products Inc. Scientific Distribution Network - Laboratory Supplies, Scientfic Equipment

here is a google search comparing these two types of scale . watch a few of these and get educated . you will see a big difference when trickling on to the scale .

https://www.google.com/webhp?source...idoe on magnetic force vs. strain gauge scale

for about a year now I have been using a powder measure to drop charges and then trickling on a gem pro and checking weight on another gem pro.

I just upgraded my powder measure to a Harrell. It sure is pretty and those bearings make it smooth but no more accurate than my lee perfect powder measure

I have lots of data on velocities and ES and SD on my loads.

I am fixing to start a new experiment. I hear all the time that you don't need to measure your powder to the closest 0.02 grains. I am going to load up 50 with the Harrell, still checking my weights and recording them, and see what it does to AV, ES and SD. Then I am going to load 50 and keep it +/- 0.01. and see what happens.

Tagging in. Right now, I use a Chargemaster, and then check on a beam scale.
I have thought about going the digital scale route, so I am interested in hearing what you guys are using.

Went to a bench rest match once and they were all using the charge master 1500 and shooting tiny groups. If it's good enough for them it's good enough for me. I have a gem pro I'm willing to part with if you're interested.

Went to a bench rest match once and they were all using the charge master 1500 and shooting tiny groups. If it's good enough for them it's good enough for me. I have a gem pro I'm willing to part with if you're interested.

But is the Chargemaster worth twice the asking price that of the Hornady or Lyman?

I have been looking at these lately also. I'm curious on what people have to say about this.

Chargemaster
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00139UC6O/?tag=lrhmag19-20

Hornady
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003O20UOW/?tag=lrhmag19-20

Lyman
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AU6CIUO/?tag=lrhmag19-20

Here is a much more relevant question than the Op or the answer that anyone else has given. BTW, the Op asked for the most accurate scale, not what you guys are using.
What makes the Op think that buying another scale with 1/100 of a grain accuracy vs his scale of 1/10 of a grain accuracy is going to make him shoot better or more accurate? The only thing he will accomplish is spending more money to get the same results he already had.

Here is a much more relevant question than the Op or the answer that anyone else has given. BTW, the Op asked for the most accurate scale, not what you guys are using.
What makes the Op think that buying another scale with 1/100 of a grain accuracy vs his scale of 1/10 of a grain accuracy is going to make him shoot better or more accurate? The only thing he will accomplish is spending more money to get the same results he already had.
So, what is your recommendation?

for about a year now I have been using a powder measure to drop charges and then trickling on a gem pro and checking weight on another gem pro.

I just upgraded my powder measure to a Harrell. It sure is pretty and those bearings make it smooth but no more accurate than my lee perfect powder measure

I have lots of data on velocities and ES and SD on my loads.

I am fixing to start a new experiment. I hear all the time that you don't need to measure your powder to the closest 0.02 grains. I am going to load up 50 with the Harrell, still checking my weights and recording them, and see what it does to AV, ES and SD. Then I am going to load 50 and keep it +/- 0.01. and see what happens.

Has anyone tested this theory? Results?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.