ABS barrels

RH300UM

Has anyone had any expreince with the ABS barrels? I am looking for any feedback on these barrels. Are they hard to work on from a gunsmiths point of view? What is the availability as far as order to time of reciept? It intriges me to think ther might be the option to have a 5 or 6 pound 338 something. Any and all fedback is wanted.

Thanks

RH, wish I knew more, but I think ABS has some testimonials on their site. I talk to Accurate Innovations occasionally, and at one time, they strongly recommended ABS barrels. You could call and see if they know any good stuff, etc. I would call ABS and ask about any special needs for installing their barrels, chucking up, turning the tenon, crowning, or holding in a barrel vise. They should also tell you if the barrel itself is theirs or if they wrap someone else's barrel. It would be good to know how they handle heat buildup too.

Hopefully, someone who has used their barrels will jump in. At any rate, I'd be interested to know what you find out.

Good luck, Tom

In January issue of Shooting Times magazine there is a article on them to explain there method of wrapping your barrel. Goodgrouper has a abs barrel on his Thunder and we did a Infrared thermal scan on the barrel to prove its heat conductivity. It is posted under Thunder by groodgrouper, I think it is pretty amazing myself beings I own the thermal camera. I have one on order. Give them a call. IP

Last edited:
RH, from what I have been told they make a very high quality barrel. The few smiths I have asked about them have all told me the same thing. They shot great, but were terrible to deal with. One smith said that if I wanted to use one i would have to order it myself as he was just sick of dealing with them. That was his only complaint though; he said everyone he had built met his 1/2 moa requirement easily. However, since then they were supposed to have hired some help and are saying they can turn a barrel around in 30 days (once they get the blank). I called down there and the guy I spoke with admitted that they had been terrible in the past getting barrels out, but confirmed that they were trying to get them done in 30 days currently ( I called them like 2 weeks ago). You won't get quite the weight savings with ABS that you can get with other carbon barrels, but they are the industry leader from what I have gleaned by a far margin. I asked about a 28" #6 contour in .284 and he said he could make it at about 3 to 3 1/2 lbs. FWIW, I am strongly considering using one on my current build.

You might want to give Mike Rock over at Rock Creek barrels a call.
They deal with ABS and provide turned blanks for them.

I f you order through Mike you will still have the wait but you won't have to deal with ABS , which has already been noted can be a pain!

FWIW
Wes in AZ

That guy has posted on here before. He offered a couple of specials on there barrels. I think he goes by Carbonman on this forum.

I have a mike rock/ABS barrel on my snipetac, only way to go. Very very accurate in my gun, will shoot .25-.5 all day. My brother has a christensen ultra, ok but no comparison in my opinion. Worth the wait and they are sure pretty.

Mesa AZ

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.