a steal of a deal!

load 50.5 of varget and a 168 berger. 030 off the lands ; lapua brass , 210ms or br-2. enjoy. the 30-06 is an amazing cartridge.

Sounds like you are off to a good start. Next I'd float it, install pillars, bed it, and you should get it down to 1MOA or better with decent ammo.

I would not waste my time or ammo on shooting it before doing the above because you'll need to do all three to get it to shoot right. You will not really know the accuracy potential of the rifle until you do so.

that is what i am planning to do. for the most part its floated now, there is a spot about 2 inches from the end of the stock that catches a dollar bill but other than that its good. im lovin the trigger as of now. im fairly inclined to do things myself if i can, is bedding something i could do or would it be best to take it to a smith??? same goes for the pillars? im trying to teach an older guy the things to do in order to shoot long range. its hard for me to get it into his head that even if we find factory loads that shoot great in our guns that we still might not get the groups that we want at 800 yards.... he is having trouble understanding MOA as well. but im drillin it into his head. it surprises me that he doesnt know this stuff as he was a military sniper back in the day.... he bought himself a browning X-Bolt chambered in .300, he says the reviews are sayin sub-MOA. i guess we will see when he gets it out to the range. ill burn it into his head abotu pillars and bedding too. Thank you all for the help!!!! any other advice is very much appreciated.

the sniper rifles are heavy barrel ( schneider) remington 700's; not browning x bolt. spend time, money and pillars on making it like a m24/m40 or a remington sendro. they work.

that is what i am planning to do. for the most part its floated now, there is a spot about 2 inches from the end of the stock that catches a dollar bill but other than that its good. im lovin the trigger as of now. im fairly inclined to do things myself if i can, is bedding something i could do or would it be best to take it to a smith??? same goes for the pillars? im trying to teach an older guy the things to do in order to shoot long range. its hard for me to get it into his head that even if we find factory loads that shoot great in our guns that we still might not get the groups that we want at 800 yards.... he is having trouble understanding MOA as well. but im drillin it into his head. it surprises me that he doesnt know this stuff as he was a military sniper back in the day.... he bought himself a browning X-Bolt chambered in .300, he says the reviews are sayin sub-MOA. i guess we will see when he gets it out to the range. ill burn it into his head abotu pillars and bedding too. Thank you all for the help!!!! any other advice is very much appreciated.
Well in his defense, if he was Army the "sniper" "back in the day" was the guy who shot the best in the unit and was given a scoped rifle. There wasn't even such a thing as a US Army Sniper School for decades.

Installing pillars and bedding the rifle are not all that difficult to do yourself if you are a handy kind of guy. Spend some time on youtube looking around and you'll find a number of pretty good videos on how to do it.

As a rule if the rifle will group well at 100yds it will group well out to 1000yds as well with high BC bullets and consistent loads. The biggest problem you get into is what is called "extreme spread" in velocity. If your loads vary by greater than 50fps consistency at long range is going to get progressively more difficult which is why most of us choose to hand load and get very picky about every little detail.

Now, out to 600yds, there's a lot more tolerance for error but once you move beyond 600, life starts to get pretty complicated, and if you try to push out farther than that it gets very complicated and the accumulation of tolerances can bite you in the *** in a hurry.

Things you'll need to plan on for the future are a good ballistics calculator or app, good reloading set up, and taking and keeping of notes every time you shoot.

Something that hasn't been said so far is regarding that Leupold scope...if it is a decent model, you can probably sell it for $200 or so. I would start saving for an upgraded scope and eventually sell the scope to help with that budget. If you want to hunt out to 800 yards, I am guessing you will want something more than 9x on the high end. Other things to consider that might help with the accuracy include throwing the gun in an upgraded stock, especially if you don't end up bedding it or adding pillars. A B&C stock could help quite a bit while not dinging the wallet to bad.

Keep up the work and update us as you go!

ok so here is an update fellas, so i found s really good deal on a new vortex 6.5-20x50 scope and a leica 1600b all for a decent price, the scope will be going on tomorrow and with luck and if the weather holds up ill be out at the range to sight it in with the new scope. looking forward to seeing how well this new range finder works, got it out and messed with it some. got good really fast readings out to 1344 so far, granted there is snow on the ground (2 inches) but seeing how it hit target on the first push of the button. the range im going to has steel out to 1000 thats about 24 inch does anyone know how well the strelok program works, thats the one that i have downloaded. seems to be working so far with my buddies gunout to about 600 but thats the farthest we ahve shot using the program. report later on for suregun)

ok so here is an update fellas, so i found s really good deal on a new vortex 6.5-20x50 scope and a leica 1600b all for a decent price, the scope will be going on tomorrow and with luck and if the weather holds up ill be out at the range to sight it in with the new scope. looking forward to seeing how well this new range finder works, got it out and messed with it some. got good really fast readings out to 1344 so far, granted there is snow on the ground (2 inches) but seeing how it hit target on the first push of the button. the range im going to has steel out to 1000 thats about 24 inch does anyone know how well the strelok program works, thats the one that i have downloaded. seems to be working so far with my buddies gunout to about 600 but thats the farthest we ahve shot using the program. report later on for suregun)
Can't comment on the strelock program but it sounds to me like you're ready to start shooting, congrats on getting it all together and not busting the budget to get it all done.

its the price she offered it to me for and thats part of the reason why i want to buy it rather than give it to me, i have 6 hand me down guns already. i dont have much of a need for another gifted gun that i cant modify the way i want. i have a ruger m77 mk2 in 25-06, ruger m77 tang safety 7mm, 30-30 lever action from about the 50s, 22 pump from about the 40s, and a .22 semi auto, then i have a benelli 12 gauge that i got from my dad, as well as a mathews legacy solocam that shoots like a dream. i dont think i need another gifted gun when i barely have room to store the ones i already have.

Alex, is that you? owns a safe full of firearms and only purchased one shotgun himself. The rest were gifts. :D

no this isnt alex lol. so i went out and shot the 30-06 again today, this time it has the new scope on it. had it sighted in at 100 with 4 rounds, then dialed to 400 and got a first round hit. then moved out to see if i could hit 725.... no dice for 3 shots. dialed back to 536 and had a 3 shot group of 1 MOA. now keep in mind this is a totally factory rifle. its got a 24 inch barrel. this is with hornady 165 sst superformance. the box says that they are traveling at about 2960. with the ballistic program (strelok) ive been getting good seemingly accurate readouts as long as everything gets plugged in correctly. still not too sure why i couldnt get a hit on the 700 yarder...... couldnt see a report around the target either. it was a deer sized target as well. i will go back out and see if i cant replicate it on a warmer day. got any speculation as to why i didnt connect with the 700???????? dial was correct for what i was given by the program, even double checked it

no this isnt alex lol. so i went out and shot the 30-06 again today, this time it has the new scope on it. had it sighted in at 100 with 4 rounds, then dialed to 400 and got a first round hit. then moved out to see if i could hit 725.... no dice for 3 shots. dialed back to 536 and had a 3 shot group of 1 MOA. now keep in mind this is a totally factory rifle. its got a 24 inch barrel. this is with hornady 165 sst superformance. the box says that they are traveling at about 2960. with the ballistic program (strelok) ive been getting good seemingly accurate readouts as long as everything gets plugged in correctly. still not too sure why i couldnt get a hit on the 700 yarder...... couldnt see a report around the target either. it was a deer sized target as well. i will go back out and see if i cant replicate it on a warmer day. got any speculation as to why i didnt connect with the 700???????? dial was correct for what i was given by the program, even double checked it
You need a chronograph. With those results it appears that either your BC or MV or both are off by a good bit.

Hard to be sure though since you could not see where you were actually hitting with the dope you dialed in.

You might consider putting up a considerably larger target just so you can see where you are missing.

This is why so many of us talk about validating your dope by shooting at different ranges and seeing your actual impacts vs predicted.

well for what its worth when i doped to 536 my first round was perfect elevation and right 3 inches. second shot reported 3 inches high and 6 inches right ish and 3rd shot reported perfect elevation and 6 inches or so right. i was very pleased with the way it shot at that distance. im in the process of getting my hands on some HSM ammo that will have a BC of closer to .700 the ammo that im shooting now is said to have a BC of .447. now that i think of it my ammo on a graph drops off hard at about 600..... maybe thats why its not carrying out to 700 well enough. currently the hornady rounds that im shooting are capped with a 165 nosler partition. for what its worth. ill take what ever info i can get. im going to work on finding a higher BC bullet for later on. practicing at 530 will have to do for now. gun)gun):D now that i think of it, thats the farthest ive EVER shot with success

well for what its worth when i doped to 536 my first round was perfect elevation and right 3 inches. second shot reported 3 inches high and 6 inches right ish and 3rd shot reported perfect elevation and 6 inches or so right. i was very pleased with the way it shot at that distance. im in the process of getting my hands on some HSM ammo that will have a BC of closer to .700 the ammo that im shooting now is said to have a BC of .447. now that i think of it my ammo on a graph drops off hard at about 600..... maybe thats why its not carrying out to 700 well enough. currently the hornady rounds that im shooting are capped with a 165 nosler partition. for what its worth. ill take what ever info i can get. im going to work on finding a higher BC bullet for later on. practicing at 530 will have to do for now. gun)gun):D now that i think of it, thats the farthest ive EVER shot with success
The Flat based Nosler Partition is just not a great long range bullet.

If factory ammo is all you can shoot I'd suggest seeing what you can get from Hornady that's shooting the Interbond, or some Nosler ammo shooting the accubond. Both have much better ballistic characteristics than the Partition and deliver very reliable performance on game.

When you start pushing beyond 600yds things start to get pretty complicated and higher BC bullets help reduce the number of variables affecting your results.

thank you very much for the information, im just about out of the ammo that i have now, think i have 5 rounds left. i was wanting to try some different ammo as it is to see if maybe my gun likes something better. our local store (small town) carries some nosler trophy grade that i wanted to get my hands on even though its more expensive. ive been wanting to try HSM as well because they are loaded with berger bullets, gonna be going up in weight to get into better BC's as well thinkin closer to 180 ish

most 06s shoot the heavier bullets well. at those ranges they should drift less. i dont know if the bt is as accurate as the accubond that far but they are way cheaper.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts