A Remington Mauser?

kc

A few years back (07) Remington was selling a Mauser #789 and 799. I don't know what they were thinking. My best friend in Canada bought one and it shot better than any rifle Remington ever made. what are your opinions?

There are several on gunbroker. They look like a Zastava Mauser on Remington wood. A nice setup for not allot of money.

Weren't they charles daily until rem bought the rights to them??? I remember looking for lh actions at that time and I stumbled on lh mauser actions for cheap, then dove deeper and found they were discontinued because rem bought the rights. They turned around and killed the lh version. Looks like all are dead now.

Weren't they charles daily until rem bought the rights to them??? I remember looking for lh actions at that time and I stumbled on lh mauser actions for cheap, then dove deeper and found they were discontinued because rem bought the rights. They turned around and killed the lh version. Looks like all are dead now.
yes they are exactly like the charles daly's and the interarms, if you check out zastava.com, they list a stainless steel version that i really really wish i could get ahold of! that would be perfecting an already perfect rifle!

I have a couple of the newer Zastava made commercial mausers. I like them a lot. They are good, solid, accurate rifles. Under rated in my opinion. Of course, I feel that way about mausers in general.

I also have a couple of the older CZ mauser actions, made at the BRNO factory. Wonderful actions, as well. They took a lot of work to sporterize, but I am happy with the end result.

shortgrass, I have to say that I am mildly surprised by your comment regarding the older CZ, Austrian, and German mauser actions. I thought I had understood you to say in a much older thread that the post WWII actions were the better option because of the use of better, more modern steel. I had always thought that was a pretty sage comment and have repeated your advice to others after having read that.

Would you care to elaborate further? Interesting stuff...

A few years back (07) Remington was selling a Mauser #789 and 799. I don't know what they were thinking. My best friend in Canada bought one and it shot better than any rifle Remington ever made. what are your opinions?

They were good rifles and remington was responsible for there demise believe it or not.

When they discontinued it I had to ask why, There answer was "Two many returns" and the
reason was very simple. They failed to tell poeple that they were Control feed in the Remington
hand book and not push feed like other Remington's.

The first one that was brought to me for repair/fix I ask the shooter what was wrong? And he said
that when he tried to close the bolt on a round it wouldn't close.

I checked it and it was fine. he watched me and got that deer in the headlight look then ask how
I did that.

So I ask ,Did you read the owner's manual ? his answer was more than three or fore times.

So I looked and sure enough there was nothing in the book about pushing the rounds down into
the magazine and feeding from there. and a lot of first time buyers had no clue there was any
difference

I then proceeded to find some real bargains for don-er actions. (They made fine rifles)

J E CUSTOM

shortgrass, I have to say that I am mildly surprised by your comment regarding the older CZ, Austrian, and German mauser actions. I thought I had understood you to say in a much older thread that the post WWII actions were the better option because of the use of better, more modern steel. I had always thought that was a pretty sage comment and have repeated your advice to others after having read that.

Would you care to elaborate further? Interesting stuff...
I've always believed that the pre-WW2 Mauser '98s were some of the best. That period was the height of European craftsmanship. The post war Mausers are made of low carbon steel and carborized (heat treated) just like the pre Mausers were. The advances in technology and manufacturing, between pre and post, would dictate that the steel would be of better quality as would the heat treating. Still, true craftsmanship is hard to top. Many of the post war Mausers were made using the same equipment as the pre war Mausers were (all of Europe was a shambles after the war, so there was no new equipment). All ya' gotta' do is hold one in one hand and the other in the other hand. The difference is obvious. Unfortunately, good pre war Mausers are getting harder and harder to find, to the point of being collectable. The newest ones, like the thread originally talked about, are made to meet a price, like most other manufactured goods. I think the only exception would be the FN Commercial Mausers made in Belgium after the war, into the '50s, '60s, and '70s (they were on the winning side of that conflict).

I have a new never used FN commercial model 1950 made in 51. It has a Full "c" ring boltface. I'm thinking about a build, could a 300 win mag be done. It is a 30-06 boltface? Also, can these be trued like a remington?

Attachments

• Full c ring.jpg
    Full c ring.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 54
Remington 798 ,stock made by Remington and rest made by ZASTAVA (crvena zastava Serbia)798 is ZASTAVA M70 also Interarms Mark X is made by same company

only part I don't like on the rifle ,the bolt is hard to slide and trigger is set to 6 lbs, best adjustment I got is 2lbs under that it is not safe ,safety will not hold good

Not to sidetrack a thread, but like J.E. mentioned, Remington ended them. Freedom Group(owns Remington and now Marlin, NEF, DPMS & several others and expanding) is showing a track record of buying companies, cutting quality to increase profit until credibility is ruined and then closing them down and moving on. We wonder why we have ammo, brass, bullet, etc shortages, do a little research and you'll find that many of our manufactures are owned by a conglomerate that knows we can't get our goodies anywhere else, because they own that too. So we wait in line to pay two prices while they blame it on the Govt shutting down a smelter somewhere and ask us to round up our tab to fight tyranny.
Not trying to be the creepy conspiracy guy, but it's something to think about.

I have friend who works for Zastava the story was , Remington wanted Zastava to remove marking (Zastava, made in Serbia) but Zastava did not do that and that was reason for Remington to cancel the contract

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.