Use a Mauser action?

mtmuley

I have two Mauser actions that could be donors for a custom rifle. One is a sporterized military of which version I do not know. I am trying to identify it, but with so many versions it is confusing. The other is a J.C. Higgins sold by Sears model 50. Pristine condition. How big can I go? Are they worth using? Maybe smaller is better. (they are both .30-06) possibly 6.5-284? Any info will help. Thanks mtmuley

With the right builder a Mauser can make a great custom rifle.My 300 Winn is built on a Mark X action (Mauser imported by Interarms)

HuntingPicturesfrom2006002.jpg

These 300 yard groups were shot with it

11-5-2005-300-Win-Mag-groups300-yar.jpg

11-5-2005-300-Win-Mag-300-yards-8.jpg

I'd say that any of the RUMs could be built on it.

I have 1908 Brazilian Mauser action that was 7x57 and has been a high intensity 270 Win since 1966. The smith that put the original Douglas barrel on it had it Rockwell hardness tested before we did anything with it. Apparently it passed the test////

Since Ray Montomery in Grand Junction CO put the 27" Lilja on it hovers around 0.5 MOA out to about as far as a 270 Win should be shot. Groups at 200 are a bunch smaller. Smallest is 0.11".

Looks like the shots are stringing vertically. Are you holding our toes correctly? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

That's mighty fine shootin'. I'd of choked after the third shot, for certain. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I have two sporterized Argentine Mauser model 1909. One has 24" - no. 4 Douglas chambered for 280 Remington and the other has the no.7 - 28" Shilen select match chambered for 6MM Remington. Both rifle shoots really well, if I do my part.

280 Remington 5 shot group
IMGP0504.jpg

6MM Remington 3 and 5 shot group
IMGP0506.jpg

I would highly recommend staying with the '06 size case head, especially with the receiver that is of unknown origin. THis is really not a handicap as you can chamber rounds such as the 6.5-284 like mentioned but in the CRF receiver design I would much rather see you go with the 6.5-06 or the AI version of that round because they will feed much better in the CRF receiver then will the 284 based round. Actually get you a big more peformance as well.

You could also go with a 280 AI and get true long range performance as well.

I do not like opening up the old Mauser receivers to the magnum bolt face. There are some receivers that have questionable heat treating in the bolt heads and can cause problems. I have an old Mauser in the shop right now that was chambered for the 416 Taylor and the bolt face has collapsed on the bolt nearly 30 thou.

To salvage the rifle, we had to find a used Interarms receiver that was in 7mm Rem Mag to convert the stock and barrel over to this new receiver.

Just a bit of advice, stick to the '06 case if thats what your old receiver is made for.

Kirby Allen(50)

There is a book that lists the Mauser actions according to manufacture and ser. number that you should check to determine what your actions can be used for. My smith showed it to me before he built the rifles I requested. If I remember correctly, it all boils down to strength. Some actions just cannot take the pressure of our modern cartridges, others can. You need to find out what you have, just to be on the safe side.
db

Thanks guys, I will check out these actions further to see what I really have. Then I can make a decision. Kirby, tell me more about the 6.5-06. Thanks, mtmuley

I just had Rocky Mountains Rifles build a 6.5X300 Win Mag on a Parker Hale 1200V..

Still waiting on dies from Redding for it.

Rifle looks good.. Hope it shoots good.

From memory a great book on Mausers and modern rifles based on the 98 action is by Jerry Kuhaunsen (sp?) it is, or certainly was until recently available from Brownells.

I think the Title was Mauser 98- "A Workshop Manual"- covers all aspect of gunsmiting these actions including hardness valiues and opening out the action for length of cartridge and the bolt face for larger head sized cases, if you are serious about using a 98 action then seek a copy of this book.

I have two custom rifles built on M 98 czech vz 24 actions. A 7x57 mauser and a 6.5 -06 .Both rifles are highly accurate . Some advice, I would stay away from using turkish mausers, 94 mausers actions , 95 mausers actions, spanish mauser actions. I would use M98 mauser actions to build a custom rifle.With my 6.5-06 I can hit shooting clays out to 500 yds with it.I would also buy the Mauser Bolt Action book by Jerry Kuhnhausen for reference.Goodluck

I have built a few very nice rifles on mausers, the one on the top is my long range rifle built on a Mauser MKX, I put a pac-nor 26 inch barrel on it Caliber 7mm RM

huntingrifles.jpg

here is a 5 shot group from the 7mm Rem Mag
target-2.jpg

here are a few more I made in 308
P1230990.jpg

ph-2.jpg

P1220702.jpg

P1210870.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.