A Question for Contender Hunters

memtb

Many years ago (perhaps 40 +), my uncle had a Contender chambered in the .375 JDJ. He lived and hunted in Louisiana, where shots could happen quickly and at close range…..often a rest could not be used!

He was using a strait 2X Leupold, and much like many of today's scopes, acquiring proper eye relief for the shot is critical ….. pretty difficult when only a few seconds were available!

He drilled and tapped a hole, just below the hammer at the top of the grip. He put a small ring into the treaded hole, he then put a thin, leather strap through the ring, and adjusted the leather strap (lanyard) so as when it was over his head at the base of his neck….With his arms extended, it gave him instant, proper eye relief for his scope!

This not only provided instant, proper eye relief….but, gave a sort of "isometric" type hold on the handgun, also provided a tripod type system with the base of the neck as part of the base! It really made quick, stable shots easy with a scoped Contender!

So……All of that said, I've never seen this used or mentioned on any forums. Have any of you folks seen or heard of this being done by any other Contender hunters? memtb

I have a couple with sling attachments and slings that I set up to allow tension bracing similar to a rifle. When properly adjusted, they act as distance limits. I don't use them much, but they do work.

I have shot one deer in my life with a contender. It was embarrassing how unsteady the reticle was even with a rest. I can't imagine using anything short of a bipod/tripod. That said, I know there are more skilled pistol shooters than I.

I heard of it and actually saw a pic of someone doing many years ago. Doubt if it's very stable, but it sure would help a stiff neck, especially with a non ported .375 JDJ!

I shot it some. It seemed to help stabilize for an offhand shot…..but more importantly….once adjusted to the shooter, the scope was in instant focus! memtb

That's a slick trick I'll have to try never heard of it before but see no reason it wouldn't work. Just like having a kisser button on a bow an extra reference point.

Own two frames and four barrels. Also had couple of encore pistols. The contender is much sweeter to shoot because of the great trigger on the older frames. But to your question, nope, never seen that. I think free recoil might be better than having something that pulls to one side on firing.

Own two frames and four barrels. Also had couple of encore pistols. The contender is much sweeter to shoot because of the great trigger on the older frames. But to your question, nope, never seen that. I think free recoil might be better than having something that pulls to one side on firing.

I'm not sure that there would be an uneven pull….the lanyard is over the head, and around the neck. When shooting offhand…. I'm pretty much centered in my upper body, and the lanyard should be evenly tight on both sides of the neck!

I'm tempted to drill/tap my Contender and see if it's as good as I remember it being! I know with certainty that you can get repetitive scope eye relief…….not 100% sure about the pull to one side during firing! memtb

Burris made, not sure if they still do, a 3-12X pistol scope with parallax adjustable front objective, 20 yards to beyond 500 yards. Eye relief is somewhat critical on higher settings and at long range targets. Pretty decent results, with arms locked and tight grip, sitting or standing , off the Cat Poles with a forward lean, can be very effective.ThinkN somebody is still making those, just not in MN at Stony Point. Basically the hunter becomes the 3rd leg of the tripod, pretty stable platform for 250 yards and in.

Last edited:
I'm not sure that there would be an uneven pull….the lanyard is over the head, and around the neck. When shooting offhand…. I'm pretty much centered in my upper body, and the lanyard should be evenly tight on both sides of the neck!

I'm tempted to drill/tap my Contender and see if it's as good as I remember it being! I know with certainty that you can get repetitive scope eye relief…….not 100% sure about the pull to one side during firing! memtb
Ya could also use a section of that neoprene they sometimes add to a rifle sling, give the whole setup just a bit of a shock absorber for the behind the neck area of the shooter.

If its drilled in only one side it will pull to that side. Maybe drill and tap the top of the frame? Never seen anything like this. JMO. Let us know how it works. It may be something to market.

Many years ago (perhaps 40 +), my uncle had a Contender chambered in the .375 JDJ. He lived and hunted in Louisiana, where shots could happen quickly and at close range…..often a rest could not be used!

He was using a strait 2X Leupold, and much like many of today's scopes, acquiring proper eye relief for the shot is critical ….. pretty difficult when only a few seconds were available!

He drilled and tapped a hole, just below the hammer at the top of the grip. He put a small ring into the treaded hole, he then put a thin, leather strap through the ring, and adjusted the leather strap (lanyard) so as when it was over his head at the base of his neck….With his arms extended, it gave him instant, proper eye relief for his scope!

This not only provided instant, proper eye relief….but, gave a sort of "isometric" type hold on the handgun, also provided a tripod type system with the base of the neck as part of the base! It really made quick, stable shots easy with a scoped Contender!

So……All of that said, I've never seen this used or mentioned on any forums. Have any of you folks seen or heard of this being done by any other Contender hunters? memtb
IMG_2487.png

If its drilled in only one side it will pull to that side. Maybe drill and tap the top of the frame? Never seen anything like this. JMO. Let us know how it works. It may be something to market.

My uncle drilled his below the hammer opening, at the top of the grip….it would be above the web of the hand between the thumb and index finger!

So, when the lanyard is pulled snug…..the pull is straight rearward! memtb