BEAR WITH A CONTENDER

GNERGY

My story is in the Bear hunting section,also.
1640508428215.png

I"m telling it to you like I am telling it to my friends, which on this forum you guys are. It is also kind of long.

This is my first bear hunt. My friend Eric from Montana called me and told me he had been talking to an outfitter in Riggins Idaho about bear hunting. He said they sounded like a couple good old boys. Eric said they were real knowledgeable about bear hunting and the bears in their area. Eric is a very knowledgeable bear hunter himself with 28 bears under his belt. He said it sounded like a good hunt with a very good chance of taking a good bear. Eric told me to call them and gave me their number. I called and talked to Andrew, told him that I am new at bear hunting and asked him a lot of questions. He said they had dogs that would get on the scent of the bear and chase it up a tree. Then in the afternoons you could sit on a bait barrel to see if a bear comes in. So I told Andrew I would check to see if I could get that time off from work. I called Andrew back a couple days later and got the details on sending in a deposit to secure my place in the first week with Arnie, Andrews partner.
I googled driving from Arizona to Riggins Idaho which is about 20hrs and 1100 miles. So I would have a good long drive ahead of me. I had 2 weeks to prepare. Got the Contender and some ammo and off to the range to verify 100yds zero and 200yds drop. It was a little rough trying to shoot at the range because a thousand of these little knats invaded my shooting space crawling all over my hands and face so it was hard to concentrate and hold the pistol steady and squeeze off some good groups. It's chambered in 338JDJ which is a 444 Marlin case necked down to 33 cal and it shoots a 180gr Ballistic tip at 2500fps.

1640474373243.jpeg

Eric and I haven't hunted together in 15yrs so it's going to be fun. We arrived on Saturday to get settled in before our hunt on Monday morning. Eric was going to hunt with Andrew and I was to hunt with Arnie. Arnie's family owns 6000 acres north of Riggins in a town called Lucile.
Andrew showed up at the hotel at 5am to pick up Eric and I was to follow them to where we would meet Arnie and start our hunt. In a small ravine we met up with Arnie and Sam and a bunch of dogs running around. Eric and Andrew went to the other edge of the property to hunt the north side. We loaded the 4wheelers up with the gear and the dogs and into the woods we went. Sam was in the lead with his best dog named Spot on the passenger seat. After 5 minutes Sam let's Spot out, with nose glued to the ground runs down the trail seeking the faint scent of any bear that might of been traveling thru. Back to 4 wheeler and farther into the woods we go. After 20 minutes of tryin Spot gets on a scent and off he goes barking up a storm. Arnie and Sam let the rest of the dogs out of the box and they follow spot barking away down into the ravine thru the trees. Arnie asked me how big of a bear I was looking for? Eric told me that any bear over 5 1\2 foot is a respectable bear. So I told Arnie at least 5 1\2 foot, he said that is achievable with the quality of bears we have here.

The dogs wear a GPS collar and Arnie and Sam have little hand held that shows where the dogs are and gives you distance and terrain elevations. After about 20 minutes Sam said the dogs have a bear treed. So Sam grabbed some leashes and headed down the hill towards the dogs. He said they were about 250 yds away and would go see how big the bear was. He calls back on the radio and said the bear is a small one, so Arnie heads down there to bring his dogs back.

1640475922301.jpeg

This was the bear that was in the tree, about a 5 footer they said.
1640476241643.jpeg

The bear was treed down the hill behind the 4 wheelers.
So we break for lunch because Arnie says we can only run the dogs once a day because it is still pretty warm out. So I come back later in the afternoon to go sit on a bait barrel, which is an hour drive in the four wheeler. With no luck that afternoon we will try again in the am.
This is the blind I sat in in the afternoons about 100yds from the bait barrel.
1640476696825.jpeg

We go out and check the baits and the dogs get on a bear, so the chase begins following the dogs barking and checking the GPS to see where they are. We are driving the old logging roads trying to head off the bear so he doesn't get out of our area. Your heart is beating faster hoping to get a glimpse of the bear that the dogs are on the tail of. Well after about an hour and a half of going back and forth we see that the dogs have stopped moving, but they are not all bunched up in one spot. Arnie says that is not good, I said what do you mean. He said if all the dogs are in one spot that means they have the bear treed. But if they are in different places means that the bear outran the dogs, bears have a lot of stamina and can run longer than the dogs can chase him. So we gather up the dogs and call it a morning. We came back that afternoon to sit at the bait barrel again with no luck. That happens again to us on Wednesday where we get on a bear that outruns the dogs again. I am getting a little discouraged, but remained positive because of the big bears that were taken in the spring.
These are the 2 bears my friend Eric shot on the second and third days of our hunt. One with a 44Mag revolver and one with a bow.
1640477072490.jpeg

1640561709409.png

To be continued

Last edited:
Thursday morning my friend Eric and Andrew are going to join us with Andrews dogs to help us get a bear. We started checking cameras and bait piles for recent activity, Arnie and I headed to the north end of the property and Andrew and Eric headed south. We checked the camera at the bait barrel that I have been sitting on and there was a bear that his back was as high as the 55gal. drum bait barrel, come in 3 times during the night, the last time was at 3am. Arnie said hopefully the dogs can pick up the scent because it had been a couple hours since the bear was there. Arnie took Jack and headed down the trail to try and pick up a scent. After about 10 minutes Arnie comes back to the 4wheeler and let's the rest of the dogs out to catch up with Jack. Now my heart is starting to beat faster. Arnie calls Andrew on the radio and says if you near us the dogs are on the trail of hopefully a really good sized bear. Andrew says he can hear the dogs and will get closer to get his dogs to join in the pursuit. We headed towards the barking dogs and kept following the dogs back and forth on the old logging roads trying to head off the running bear. After about an hour of heart pounding pursuit, the dogs finally are all in one spot, which hopefully means the bear has been treed. Andrew and Eric catch up with us and decide that in order for us to get to the bear we will have to get thru 2 places where the rain storm they had in July had washed out the road. If we can't get thru there we will have to go back the way we came in and down the main highway and in the north end of the property which could take at least 2 hours. So off we go to get to the bear. We had 2 places where we had to move big rocks and some small logs to be able to get the Honda 4wheelers thru, which took about 20 minutes for each area. I kept thinking in the back of my mind that the bear is going to get tired of sitting in the tree and just climb down and chase the dogs away.

1640477771452.jpeg

1640561864362.png

Arnie and Andrew are stratigecially placing rocks to get the 4 wheelers thru, because one little slip and they could be headed down this embankment.
1640478180180.jpeg

1640561958702.png

Now the trail is clear we just have to make it over the hill to the bear, hopefully he is still there.
So we finally get thru and head to where the dogs have the bear treed. We check the GPS with the dogs on it and all 8 of them are in the same place. Arnie says the bear is 750 yds down this ravine, I was like holy ****, the angle was practically straight down hill. Eric said take off any extra clothes you don't need cause you're going to get hot going down there and coming back up, and take anything out of your backpack you don't need. So Andrew and Eric headed off down the ravine to check out the bear. Andrew radios back that it is a real good bear and he is about 150 feet up in the tree. So Arnie and I take off down the ravine, we slip and slide our way down there because there is about 3 inches thick of pine needles on the ground, being careful not to crash into a tree. When we start getting close we can see the bear hanging on up in the tree. When we get near the bottom where Andrew and Eric are I am completely sweated up and my heart is beating out of my chest with excitement and nervousness at the same time. So Arnie and Andrew start tying up the dogs and I find a dead tree to lean my pistol on for the shot. I am using a Thompson Center Contender in 338JDJ. It shoots a 180gr. Ballistic tip at 2550fps. Arnie says get ready so I put my ear protection on and once you start shooting him, keep shooting till he falls from the tree, because the dogs are tied up and can't really protect themselves if the bear is still alive when he hits the ground. So I shoot the bear, and the first shot goes thru the middle, and Eric says good shot hit him there again, so I shoot again, Eric says shoot him again, he's pouring out both sides, so I shoot him a third time and while I was reloading the bear fell to the ground. High 5's all around and now we go to check out the bear. Eric and Andrew drag the bear to a flat piece of ground to be able to take a couple of pics and field dress him. We go to take some pics and my hunting shirt was soaking wet and so was my hair, so I just pushed it back with both hands. Photos were taken with a couple cameras, then it was time to get down to business and get him quartered and skinned.
1640478595988.jpeg

Thats Arnie my guide in the pic with me.
1640478696712.jpeg

1640562246934.png

1640562298203.png

1640562329025.png

We each hauled out some bear back to the 4 wheelers. We went back to the hotel and got showered and then had an hour drive to game and fish for a person to check our bears in, so Eric can take my fur with him to his taxidermist in Montana that has done some for him before. He called me to get my info and told me my bear was 5 ½ ft tall.
I asked Arnie if the first week of the fall bear season has been booked yet, he said not yet. I gave him some money down to hold my spot for next year. Eric is also coming back next year. This was one of the most exciting hunts I have ever experienced.
Both Arnie and Andrew give their all every day that we hunted with them. Eric killed 2 bears during this hunt, one on the second day and one on the third day with guide Andrew.
I brought the bear meat home in quarters and my girlfriend and myself cut it up and vacuum packed it. I had one front shoulder get a little messed up cause one of my shots exited there, so I ended up with 56 lbs of meat and 6 lbs of bear fat to render down.
1640479150978.jpeg

Hope you enjoyed my hunt.
Thanks for reading.
Tarey

Last edited:
Thursday morning my friend Eric and Andrew are going to join us with Andrews dogs to help us get a bear. We started checking cameras and bait piles for recent activity, Arnie and I headed to the north end of the property and Andrew and Eric headed south. We checked the camera at the bait barrel I have been sitting on and there was a bear that his back was as high as the 55gal. Drum bait barrel come in 3 times during the night, the last time was at 3am. Arnie said hopefully the can pick up the scent because it had been a couple hours since the bear was there. Arnie took Jack and headed down the trail to try and pick up a scent. After about 10 minutes Arnie comes back to the 4wheeler and let's the rest of the dogs out to catch up with Jack. Now my heart is starting to beat faster. Arnie calls Andrew on the radio and says if you near us the dogs are on the trail of hopefully a really good sized bear. Andrew says he can hear the dogs and will get closer to get his dogs to join in the persuit. We headed towards the barking dogs and kept following the dogs back and forth on the old logging roads trying to head off the running bear. After about an hour of heart pounding persuit, the dogs finally are all in one spot, which hopefully means the bear has been treed. Andrew and Eric catch up with us and decide that in order for us to get to the bear we will have to get thru 2 places where the rain storm they had in July had washed out the road. If we can't get thru there we will have to go back the way we came in and down the main highway and in the north end of the property which could take at least 2 hours. So off we go to get to the bear. We had 2 places where we had to move big rocks and some small logs to be able to get the Honda 4wheelers thru, which took about 20 minutes for each area. I kept thinking in the back of my mind that the bear is going to get tired of sitting in the tree and just climb down and chase the dogs away.

1640477771452.jpeg

View attachment 324112
Arnie and Andrew are stratigecially placing rocks to get the 4 wheelers thru, because one little slip and they could be headed down this embankment.
1640478180180.jpeg

View attachment 324117
Now the trail is clear we just have to make it over the hill to the bear, hopefully he is still there.
So we finally get thru and head to where the dogs have the bear treed. We check the GPS with the dogs on it and all 8 of them are in the same place. Arnie says the bear is 750 yds down this ravine, I was like holy ****, the angle was practically straight down hill. Eric said take off any extra clothes you don't need cause you're going to get hot going down there and coming back up, and take anything out of your backpack you don't need. So Andrew and Eric headed off down the to check out the bear. Andrew radios back that it is a real good bear and he is about 150 feet up in the tree. So Arnie and I take off down the ravine, we slip and slide our way down there because there is about 3 inches thick of pine needles on the ground, being careful not to crash into a tree. When we start getting close we can see the bear hanging on up in the tree. When we get near the bottom where Andrew and Eric are I am completely sweated up and my heart is beating out of my chest with excitement and nervousness at the same time. So Arnie and Andrew start tying up the dogs and I find a dead tree to lean my pistol on for the shot. I am using a Thompson Center Contender in 338JDJ. It shoots a 180gr. Ballistic tip at 2550fps. Arnie says get ready soI put my ear protection on and once you start shooting him,keep shooting till he calls from the tree, because the dogs are tied up and can't really protect themselves if the bear is still alive when he hits the ground. So I shoot the bear and the first shot goes thru the middle and Eric says good shot hit him there again, so I again, Eric says shoot him again, he's pouring out both sides, so I shoot him a third time and while I was reloading the bear fell to the ground. High 5's all around and now we go to check out the bear. Eric and Andrew drag the bear to a flat piece of ground to be able to take a couple of pics and field dress him. We go to take some pics and my hunting shirt was soaking wet and so was my hair, so I just pushed it back with both hands. Photos were taken with a couple cameras, then it was time to get down to business and get him quartered and skinned.
1640478595988.jpeg

Thats Arnie my guide in the pic with me.
1640478696712.jpeg

View attachment 324120
View attachment 324123
View attachment 324124
We each hauled out some bear back to the 4 wheelers. We went back to the hotel and got showered and then had an hour drive to game and fish person to check our bears in, so Eric can take my fur with him to his taxidermist in Montana that has done some for him before. He called me to get my info and told me my bear was 5 ½ ft tall.
I asked Arnie if the first week of the fall bear season has been booked yet, he said not yet. I gave him some money down to hold my spot for next year. Eric is also coming back next year. This was one of the most exciting hunts I have ever experienced.
Both Arnie and Andrew give their all every day that we hunted with them. Eric killed 2 bears during this hunt, one on the second day and one on the third day with guide Andrew.
I brought the bear meat home in quarters and my girlfriend and myself cut it up and vacuum packed it. I had one front shoulder get a little messed up cause one of my shots exited there, so I ended up with 56 lbs of meat and 6 lbs of bear fat to render down.
1640479150978.jpeg

Hope you enjoyed my hunt.
Thanks for reading.
Tar
GREAT STORY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks much for sharing.

Great story sir . Bear hunting with hounds is my most favorite type of big game hunting. Just something about the hounds running and barking get my blood a pumping. This is the first December season in about 10 years that I haven't got to hunt here in Wv . I got a new job in November and haven't been able to hunt much. My son has been hunting our dogs this month and got on a few .

That is a great story and I'm glad you were successful. That is a nice pistol. I had a 338jdj#2 for years and sold it to a guy in AZ. He wanted it to hunt elk with if he ever drew a tag and he used it on a couple of pigs near a place where he lived.
That is the same load I shot in my 338JDJ and it was very flat shooting. I wish I hadn't sold the 200+ 180 Ballistic Tips I had with the barrel. They quit making them. I'm looking at getting another 338JDJ barrel made for my Contender or maybe my Encore Pro Hunter frame
Congratulations on the bear. Enjoy the meat.
Mike

Will be going down to Texas next month to hunt Axis deer. I will be using a Contender in 7-30 Waters out of a 14" barrel with a Burris 2-7X scope. I have shot prairie dogs out to 200 yards with a similar setup in 223, but limit myself to 100 yards for big game. Taken whitetail and mule deer with this rig, but sure would like to go after a bear.
Contender.jpg

This is what I can do with it at 100 yards at the range
Target.jpg

I have two frames and barrels in 221 Fireball, 223 Remington, 7-30 waters, 357 Max and 41 mag. Love these pistols.

Thanks for the nice comments. The Contenders are great hunting pistols, I still have 2 of the old style frames I bought when JD said they were coming out with the G2 frames and he didn't like the triggers in them.
The price of this hunt is only $2200. for 5 days, you can't beat that for the quality of bears on their property. It is full of wild plum, apple, huckelberry and eldeberry trees and blackberry bushes every where. Look up Deep Country Outfitters

Tarey