Dumb Contender Questions

QuietTexan

I recently got a T/C Contender plus barrels, feeding my new handgun addiction 🤣 But just to be sure I don't rearrange my face accidentally I have a few dumb questions about this thing.

1. Frame is satin stainless, S/N is S40xxx and has a rotary C/s/R safety switch, so this is a "G2" right? I want to order a 300 BLK and 30-30 AI barrels for it, seems like an easy call but I want to be sure.

2. 45 Colt 410 barrel - I know to remove the choke before shooting 45 Colt shells, but is there anything to screw into the threads in place of the choke? Or just leave the threads open and clean them with a wire brush before putting the choke back in?

3. Safety Nerd Question to keep the R/Os happy with me: The correct way per the manual to unload an unfired round is put safety on, cover firing pin with thumb, drop the hammer softly, then open. One wrinkle - while the manual shows in Figure 28 the hammer sitting off the firing pin in the at-rest notch, it seems like the hammer moves all the way down anytime I release the trigger and won't reset to the at-rest notch until I pop the trigger guard spur. Seems like an odd quick because all other functionality seems to work correctly except the hammer won't sit at-rest after a trigger pull. Figure 10a shows a gap between the hammer and firing pin when "at-rest".

It seems like changing the manual's process to releasing the hammer with the trigger guard spur instead of the trigger - with a thumb blocking the firing pin - is safer because the hammer falls into the at-rest notch that way, and the trigger is never pulled.

If I understand the issue. The Contenders require pulling on the trigger guard to reset the sear if you let the hammer down. So if you let the hammer down and do not reset the sear the hammer won't stay cocked. The G2 operates in the same manner as the Encore. You do not have to pull on the trigger guard to activate the sear, you can let the hammer down and cock the hammer.
Some Contenders and all G2s have selector switches on the top of the hammer. The Contender has flat sides normally with a cat or cat head engraved on the side. The G2 normally has no engraving and looks like a smaller version of the Encore. Encores do not have a selector switch on the hammer.

Contender and G2 barrels are interchangeable but Armor Alloy is not interchangeable with stainless or blued. Encore barrels are not interchangeable with Contenders or G2s.

I think the SSK barrels will fit SS or blued frames. I have never heard any different but I am not sure enough to bet my next pay check. I never had an SSK barrel they were always a little out of my pay scale.

My SSK 309 JDJ barrel will fit on any frame. I've never had a choke contender barrel but I thought most choke barrels had a non choke insert to protect threads when firing projectile loads.

The older Contender .45Colt/.410 barrels that are internally muzzle threaded for the removable choke do not have a thread protector. The threaded portion is larger than the bore. I never fired mine with large quantities of .45 Colt ammo, and always screwed the choke in and out to make sure the threads stayed clean. Be sure to lube the choke.
You may already know but others may not, the "choke" is a section with straight fins in it to grab the wad and stop it from spinning and widening the spread of shot.

Picture of your frame?
IMG_4557.jpg

IMG_4556.jpg