A-Max on game

sure shot

I found an extremely accurate load in my 7mm Rem mag with the 162gr Amax backed by 57.5gr of IMR4350 in a Norma case with a rem mag primer. This load is shooting one hole groups 3 shot groups @100. This the first time I have used the Amax and must say I am impressed. I know a lot of you have used them on game and was wondering how explosive they are at around 2900fps on deer? Some times I come across very close shots ware I hunt. I should be ok as long as I stay off the shoulders right?

I too have had wonderful luck with these Amax for accuracy. My recent penetration tests show they are very fragile. I would go boiler room, neck and head shots for close range. Penetration will not be good at close range.

I am considering the 162grSST for out to 300yds. Will hold together and equally accurate. Will use the Amax for LR.

Jerry

I shot a small mule deer buck yesterday at 270yds with the 162 A-Max out of my Rem 700 ADL 7mm RM, muzzle velocity was 2900+.
Hit it in the spine farther back than I anticipated( buck was moving out of the area pretty fast and I apparently didn't lead it enough)the bullet tore up the tenderloins but the deer did drop in it's tracks.
I do agree don't hit a major bone if you can help it.
YMMV,
Wayne aka WAMBO

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.