6.5 bullets on game

I have been luck to harvest several various animals with the 6.5 at ranges from 70 yards out to 700 plus. Hornady eldx and Nosler Accubond LR are fantastic hunting bullets. I know many hunters hunt with the Berger line of bullets. I am not looking for a debate on this but I have seen way too many wounded animals with well placed shots with the Berger's. I will never hunt with that bullet. I will shoot only steel with the Berger! Sorry gentlemen can't beat Hornady or Nosler for hunting!

The only ones debating which is better, are those that don't realize the many great component offerings there are, much like music, food, etc. I like Boogers for their accuracy, I like all Hornady products and also load Swift, Barnes and Federal, among others.

I flicked some 175gn Booger VLDs from last years elk killer, a Tikka T3 lite in 300wsm, yesterday at the range to recheck for this year's hunt. A 3 shot cloverleaf approx. 0.5" in diameter was how it stuck on the wall. Very nasty.

We've taken 4 pronghorn from 50-300 yards with 143 ELDX out of a 260 Rem with a low MV of 2600fps (it shoots them well fast also, but this is a light load for my son to practice with). Killing performance has been good and the load shoots shoot sub .5 MOA (a tad worse than 140 Berger VLDHs). They've killed emphatically but I have found fragments of lead and the jacket well away from the bullet pathway. I've loaded some 121 Hammers to replace them (3030 FPS) and look forward to seeing how they perform in the future. The Hammers also are .5MOA though they admittedly won't fight the wind as well as the Hornadys. Hoping my son can use it on an elk hunt next year when he's 12. As he gets bigger, plan is to move him to a higher caliber.

Pic is from one of last year's pronghorn showing good terminal performance—consistent with what I've seen in the three other bullets that exited. 4th animal taken was straight on chest shot at 50 yds and used gutless method so didn't see damage, but he dropped immediately. My only reason for switching is bullet fragments with the ELDX that have veered significantly.

Attachments

• A7C5630C-05BE-410D-9FD1-1C9DD6C8A632.jpeg
    A7C5630C-05BE-410D-9FD1-1C9DD6C8A632.jpeg
    462.4 KB · Views: 93
There awesome for accuracy with a fraction less "weighed bullet to recoil"...
They lazzer threw the thick skins to get into the inn'er workings...

Let's call it the grind... Ha

My bullet's for hunting are the Nosler Partions 140gr,,, Barn's Super X tripple shock,,, the frugal blunt noise of any brand or make seem to work...

I'll admit that I limit the distance at 2 and 300 yards,,, the 400 yard'ers and a bit further have some """Pack""" sound...

Like my friend mentioned,,, a fraction less in the frontal-impacks,,, what they lack in that department they make-up for in turning solid mass into burger...

The only way to know this is try it your-self,,, you won't know until you poke some holes threw some wrappers...

Cheers from the North

We've taken 4 pronghorn from 50-300 yards with 143 ELDX out of a 260 Rem with a low MV of 2600fps (it shoots them well fast also, but this is a light load for my son to practice with). Killing performance has been good and the load shoots shoot sub .5 MOA (a tad worse than 140 Berger VLDHs). They've killed emphatically but I have found fragments of lead and the jacket well away from the bullet pathway. I've loaded some 121 Hammers to replace them (3030 FPS) and look forward to seeing how they perform in the future. The Hammers also are .5MOA though they admittedly won't fight the wind as well as the Hornadys. Hoping my son can use it on an elk hunt next year when he's 12. As he gets bigger, plan is to move him to a higher caliber.

Pic is from one of last year's pronghorn showing good terminal performance—consistent with what I've seen in the three other bullets that exited. 4th animal taken was straight on chest shot at 50 yds and used gutless method so didn't see damage, but he dropped immediately. My only reason for switching is bullet fragments with the ELDX that have veered significantly.
I am very Interested in knowing how the hammers perform.

I have been luck to harvest several various animals with the 6.5 at ranges from 70 yards out to 700 plus. Hornady eldx and Nosler Accubond LR are fantastic hunting bullets. I know many hunters hunt with the Berger line of bullets. I am not looking for a debate on this but I have seen way too many wounded animals with well placed shots with the Berger's. I will never hunt with that bullet. I will shoot only steel with the Berger! Sorry gentlemen can't beat Hornady or Nosler for hunting!
This is a 9" exit wound from a 140 grain Berger bullet at 62 yards ( 260 Rem )
BD990325-CED7-4227-A11E-4482CDECB191.jpeg
5783CEDB-369A-4938-AF39-937FFB393707.jpeg
D78CDA81-8DF1-4700-903A-9E40DE595797.jpeg

BD990325-CED7-4227-A11E-4482CDECB191.jpeg
D78CDA81-8DF1-4700-903A-9E40DE595797.jpeg
5783CEDB-369A-4938-AF39-937FFB393707.jpeg

140 eld match for both my 6.5 creeds, have had good luck on texas whitetail, pigs and mule deer. Tried bergers in the past and i never lost an animal just felt the hornadys did a better job for me.

That thing exploded, holy cow! You fill your hollow points up with C4 or something? Lol
LMAO!!! My girlfriend was learning how to cape it out. She field dressed it herself. She is getting pretty good at it. I've never shot a deer that close before. I didn't know what the Berger Bullets would do that close cause I have heard all the Horror stories myself at close range. I told my GF to just calm down take a deep breath and squeeze the trigger. The crazy part is, even with that huge exit wound that doe walked about 12 yards. When we caped her out we was all staring at the bullet exit. I've put the Berger bullets don't expand at close range nightmare behind me now. After showing this to my family and friends thats all they shoot now. Most people don't thank this is from a 260 Rem but I rest assure you it is. I do believe shot placement is key. If the shot is 300 yards or less shoot it in the neck. Past 300 yards shoot high shoulder. This advice has served everybody I know very well.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.