181 Hammer hunters on Game

Elk Hunter 338

Official LRH Sponsor
Im getting ready to do some work ups with these bullets 308 cal 181 Hammer hunter I just received and they are sweet .. figured id give them a try, Problem is I have always been gun shy of solids on game past a few hundred yards …. I do know they have a very large meplat and very concentric bullet to bullet but I want real world ON GAME performance @3100 fps muzzle vel. and preferably past 400 yards on heavier game such as elk and so on.. anyone have any data or experience with these let me know. thanks

My brother in law killed his bull last year at around 330-340 yards with my Cooper 280AI and a 143 hammer hunter going 3120 fps. Not a bang flop but that bullet did major damage. Bull just wondered around for a few steps then fell over, was stone dead by the time we got there.

Don't worry, Hammer bullets perform flawlessly on game. It's either bang flop or it's dead within a few yards. They are designed to perform down to 1800 fps, but many guys that shoot them have had them work just fine at even lower velocities. They absolutely destroy the internal organs. I will only hunt with Hammer bullets. I made the switch a little over a year ago

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.