A Man and His Rifle

I like both. It's real hard for me to
Not want to grab my pretty rifles every time
I make a trip, but some conditions or environments dictate grabbing the 4x4 instead.

And even that one is a looker.

I'm more of a 4x4 guy myself, I'm just hard on ****,,, but I have infatuation with fine, extremely well figured wood rifles that point like a fine English shotgun .. in fact I have 3 in my safe that probably will only the see the woods a few times but **** they perty!! This one is built on a G series model 70 that I bought original when Winchester decided too make a few 300 ultra mags.. fast forward quite a few years and yes its still a 300 ultra but just way better now after I got done with it!!😁View attachment 322146View attachment 322147View attachment 322151View attachment 322152View attachment 322153View attachment 322150
If they said behind door number 1 is this gun, and door 2 a super hot model chick...I'd have a pretty gun! LOL

I'm more of a 4x4 guy myself, I'm just hard on ****,,, but I have infatuation with fine, extremely well figured wood rifles that point like a fine English shotgun .. in fact I have 3 in my safe that probably will only the see the woods a few times but **** they perty!! This one is built on a G series model 70 that I bought original when Winchester decided too make a few 300 ultra mags.. fast forward quite a few years and yes its still a 300 ultra but just way better now after I got done with it!!😁View attachment 322146View attachment 322147View attachment 322151View attachment 322152View attachment 322153View attachment 322150
I must say that is a work of art my dad built some beautiful rifles that I now own and he would appreciate the beauty of that rifle as well as I well done that is the best English walnut I've ever seen wow !!! And I love that ribbon pattern checkering

A pox on your house for posting that link! 🤣
I know! Is that not insane! I'm trying to remain happy with my Ruger Hawkeye African in 6.5x55 Swede, but I struggle every day!

05-A179-F8-0510-403-C-A4-EC-FDC2-DCF78100.jpg

They are tools. But, they are not wrenches or screw drivers. They give us a power to take life and to defend it. There is no other such tool that invokes so much passion. That must be why we bestow art and beauty upon them. I separate my rifles into fair weather and bad weather tools. Still love them all. Always have. I can't remember a time I ddin't love gunsSpecial su
Special surgical tools!👍

I bought this old mod 700 Rem .270 as a teenager almost 40 years ago. It has produced may fond memories, fired over 7000 rounds and my thumbs have worn the checkering off across the tang, and along the the left side of the forestock. It has outlasted many of my centre-fires and is still in use, pic taken last week...
B6360563-D3E5-47BE-B713-F4D1077029EA.jpeg

So I had a Safari grade Win. Mod 70 in 7RM. The wood was beautiful. I was on a goat hunt and I had a small herd way out in an open field with no cover. There was a little shallow ditch, maybe 18" that looped out towards them. So there I go crawling on my stomach with my head down and laying that beautiful wood down over and over as I crawled. I was freaking out about how marked up that wood would be getting. I finally got to about 200 yards and shot my goat. Looked the gun over and not a scratch. Good hard walnut. But from then on I only bought plastic and laminate. What happened to the Safari? I had it accurized only it became intolerably inaccurate. Like 4" at 100 with factory ammo. So the gunsmith bought it from me for the prevailing average rate.

I'm absolutely a romanticist at heart but it has been tempered over many years with functionalism. I think few people fall purely into one category or another, and the time and situation dictates degree. While my functional side is in full display hunting long range in Oct/Nov out West each season with highly sophisticated equipment. A month later, I hunt the Northeast deer season exclusively with a traditional flintlock at close range. Many see this as schizophrenic, but I think it balances things out for my basic nature. I will say that if I only "one" rifle were to remain in my stable, it would be my old pre-64 Model 70 with its 3x9 Leupold. Fortunately, it's highly unlikely that this would ever happen!
43C3E325-5051-4B55-9C7E-D978BD6267B3.jpeg