A loooong shot !

WYO300RUM

I don't know if this has been posted already.

Eh, only marginally impressive... :p
For sure there are things that impress me
More than shooting at a target all day long and eventually hitting it to break a record (though I am still very intrigued that this can be done at all at that kind of range).

3 most impressive shots in particular come to mind - if any of y'all aren't familiar with these the info is easily found and worth reading!

Billy Dixon - in 1874 at the battle of adobe walls shot a man off his horse at a range of 1538 yards with his sharps rifle. A blackpowder cartridge slinging chunks of lead with the bc of a brick. Iron sights. That's freaking incredible.

The account of Carlos hathcock taking out a Vietcong sniper who was trying to take out him. Seeing the glare of the enemy's scope lens but not the enemy himself, aiming for the glare, and sending a bullet right down through the scope and killing the enemy. Also means the enemy was pointed right at him. Another second or two things might have been different. No "walking it in" or getting 69 tries with those kind of shots!

The unnamed (name intentionally withheld) Canadian sniper with JTF-2 who broke the world record by a large margin in 2017 in Iraq, killing an ISIS insurgent at 3871 yards with a Macmillan tac-50.

All of these are more impressive to me for sure. Bonus points for Jerry Miculek popping a balloon at 1000 yards with a 9mm handgun (it's on YouTube, and I don't know if it's inspiring or makes a person think they should quit haha)

Last edited:
He might of got it on the 29th try had he been using 550gr lazers.
It's like using 185gr bullets to shoot at a mile with a 300 rum vs 245gr bergers.
I guess you can call what ever you feel like a record these days. But aside from that I'm sure it was a lot of fun and at that range 50+ shots to hit a plate is expected even with a 416 Barrett.

Took 69 tries and the bullet is in the air for 24 seconds, so what is the value add or practical application? A sniper couldn't use it as in 24 secs the target could go to the bathroom, come back and stand or sit in a different position then when the shot was taken. Not all that impressive to me either. Even a blind hog finds an acorn eventually.