A little about what the new guy wants help with, Thanks!

NYLES

It all started in a MS beanfield about ten years ago, I've hunted deer all my life but new best friend changed the Rules! By changing the enviorment of where we hunt. I went from hunting Florida trails and Alabama hardwood bottoms to Mississippi beanfields. Big long difference it went from the rare over 100 yard shots to buying a new 7 Mag to reach 300 yrds with confidence. With a little reloading work and a $300 3x9x50 and now 300 is not a problem.......BUT NOW I WANT MORE! Last x-mas I bought a new Sendaro in 300 win mag. and a 4-12x50 Leopoluld(I dont like the scope but it will have to finish out this year).
I hear NIGHTFORCE already, BUT

What I would like help with is choosing a new scope with finger turrets and adjustable parallax. Buddy bought a zuies 4-14x50 alot better than my leo but Whats the best for a quick easy 500 yd 300winmag? And keep in mind 95% of the shots will be 200-300 yds. Longest kill this year 126 yds(nice 150 class 10 point (really a 7 missing one side). And I would like one that has its own SUNSHINE built right in for low light shooting.

Next is the reloading bench.....I love Barnes XBT's but haven't yet tried the Triple shocks and would love a comparison between them and the Lazerheads or just someone elses opinon. At a dollar a piece what will the Lazerhead give me that the triple shock cant? I have had a lazerhead in my hands all I can say is SLICK SLICK SLICK! By the way they only come in 150 gr for the .30 cal. I loaded 120 XBT's in the 7 mag I worked the load and came up at .6 at 300 yds and they get the job done. Biggest questions are

The 150 gr Lazerheads worth it?
and how big a difference will there be in overall performance between them and a 130 gr XBT at 500Yds?
Any FPS gains between them and the 3 shock?
Anyone have load data for the Lazerheads in a 300 win mag?

I have the Barnes number 2 manual and it shows a 150gr XBT at just shy of 3300 fps however thats with a 24 inch barrel what gains should I get with the 26 inch on the sendaro? and the Lazerhead?

I know thats alot of questions in a intro but thats what I'm here for to learn more from those of you that know.
Thanks again!

I've had good and bad with the barnes. Not saying they're a bad bullet just not my type. I prefer the ballistic tips and amaxs. For scope, I would go with the nightforce if you can afford it.

I shoot factory loaded Accubounds in my .270 Encore....And have no complaints with them whatsoever....Im shooting 180 Sirroco's in the win mag right now but again they are factory loads.....I just love what a xbt does always an exit wound and it doesnt matter what end you shoot em from its going out the other......I know this isnt a M/L forum but the TMZ is the baddest M/L bullet Ive ever put down a barrel.....dead on accurate and just plain wicked when it hits....I wish I could show you the 2 I have on the counter I used last week on 2 hogs(granted they did not give pass throughs but 2 200+ lb hogs angling away dead in there tracks one at 40 yards one at about 70). They look just like the pictures that Barnes advertises with. Enough about how much I like Barnes bullets.....If iwas going to use anything else it would be an Accubond. But Id like to get away from the 180'S, Think Id like the 150's better simply because it would only ever be used on whitetails averaging around 200 lbs. And I feel that 150's are plenty big enough.

Thanks screech I read how much the Nightforce is loved in here any other options? Lets be fare here and say under 1k.

[ QUOTE ]
The 150 gr Lazerheads worth it?
and how big a difference will there be in overall performance between them and a 130 gr XBT at 500Yds?
Any FPS gains between them and the 3 shock?
Anyone have load data for the Lazerheads in a 300 win mag?

I have the Barnes number 2 manual and it shows a 150gr XBT at just shy of 3300 fps however thats with a 24 inch barrel what gains should I get with the 26 inch on the sendaro? and the Lazerhead?

[/ QUOTE ]

You will most likely gain between 25-50 FPS per inch depending on the powder youre using. The lazerheads may be a little faster due to the coating on them.

The differance between the 130 and 150 is large at 500 yards due to the higher BC of the 150 grain. Youre better suited with a heavier bullet with a higher BC for killing deer at 500 yards. Barnes may make an awesome ML projectile, bearing in mind ML's are typicaly a short range weapon. Some rifles will shoot Barnes bullets at LR like a houseafire but alot will not. If youre dead set on them, I would try the 180 TSX. If those dont work in your rifle, try the 178 AMAX and the 180 ACCUBOND. These bullets wont let you down.

Welcome to the board.

I'll try and be fare but I just dont know much about the scope industry for scopes under 1k. I have to say that after you handle a nxs you wont want any other one. thet're heavier but almost bullet proof. when you're as agile as me bullet proof is good. I've heard of people having good luck with e mark4 but i havent tried one.

I would stay away from Accu-bonds and Balistic tips. I have shot both out of my .300 wm and I am not very happy with the results.
This year my buddy and I switched to the Baxnes X triple shocks,and we both had excellent results. Combined we shot 2 cow Elk, one was about 350 yards and the other was about 450 yards, 2 whitetail bucks in the 300-350 yard range, and 2 mule deer does.
The triple shocks performed well on all the animals that we shot, I think I have finally found my bullet.

Lefty
What bullet wieght and powder did you use? I have not reloaded in about 5 years I loaded alot for that 7mag and got about 75 left. But I do still have an unopened pound of reloader 22 reloader 25 and h4831SC. And my Barnes book is number 2 reloader 25 was just coming out so I have no load data for it. I moved last year but will be going home to get all my reloading stuff this weekend. Guess I need to pick up the latest Banres manual.

My 300 win shoots 200 gr or 180 gr Accubonds about .600 if I am steady that day. That being said I killed my Montana muley with a 180 SGK.

AT ioo yds , it isn't very fast ( short barrel) The 200's are about 2750 w/ RL 22 or H 1000 and the 180's are close to 3000 with RL 22/H 1000. Both powdwers group equally with Fed 215 M primers the RL 22 is just a tad faster.

Nyles

I would look at one of the Swarovski or Kahles with a TDS reticle. I have a 3-9x Kahles on a 300 WSM. Used off ebay for $400. Crystal clear glass and rugged. We have a 300 hart with a 6-18x Swarovski that goes to 900 with no clicking.

With a 200 yard zero at 9x, the stadias are on at 300, 377, 488 and 604. Drop the power to 6x and they are 327, 472, 592 and 708.

That is a quick and clean system at the distances you are talking. you will need accurate MV (chrono), cheap PDA and the exbal program ($60) and you can run different charts for any elevation and temp for your stadias.

find a TDS reticle scope and look at it.

BH

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.