Help for a new guy to the board

Archeryelk

I have hunted all my life and have a safe full of guns but want to build a long range gun. I would like something in a .25.

What are your recommendations on everything from the ground up? Assume money is not an issue and that you have to be able to carry it around. So nothing more than about 8.5lb.

Gary

I have a 300 win mag Browning A-bolt that shoots well under an inch at 100 with 180 Accubond handload but it kicks like holy hell. Not something I want to shoot all the time.

I also have a 270 that shoots incredible and the recoil is not too bad. It has been gone over from end-to-end but has not the factory barrel. It is a 700 remington I have had for ever. One option is to restock and put a new barrel on this gun.

25-06 for a factory loads, or 25 wsm, or 257 stw for a hot wild cat. You have the long action remingtion action to use for any of these. The 25-06 wont take any extra machine work to use with your action.

jm2cw

d-a

the 257 STW was one I was thinking about.

Who would you put me into touch with as a TOP builder?

Gary

Archeryelk:

Go to the search function. Change the time to 2 years, click on all forums, and enter the string listed below in the search box and then click enter. Sit back and read /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

+kirby +257 +allen +magnum

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.