A deer for the books

Gday baldhunter
Getting back to the original post,it also shows you just how much a shoulder hit on a large animal reduces the size and shock of the wound channel once it passes through the shoulder.It really doesn't surprise me the 150gr Corelok didn't exit the stag.It is surprising he recovered and survived.Had the bullet just gone through the ribs before hitting the lungs,he probably would have quickly died and the bullet probably exited too.Actual shot placement is a big factor in bullet performance,however,in a hunting situation,things aren't always perfect the way we want it to be.I shot a stag with my 300 Win Mag using a 180gr Nosler Ballistic Tip through the scapula,lungs and exiting behind the offside shoulder.From the enteral damage,you could tell the peak of the wound channel was after the hitting of the scapula bone and lung tissue.After passing through the lungs,you could tell the wound channel was getting much tighter before it made the exit behind the offside shoulder.He dropped right there on the spot.Here is a picture of the scapula.

Another stag killed with the 180gr Nosler Ballistic Tip from my 30-06.Same results dropped on the spot.Through the ribs,under the spine.

Here is a good video showing three different types of bullets and how they performed with a scapula embedded in a gel block at different yardages.
https://www.themeateater.com/hunt/f...ting-lead-and-copper-bullets-in-ballistic-gel
The link is a good one
The best comment I got out of it was the "can be quite deceiving "
Consistency is what I want

Yes it's fascinating to observe different wound channels on different resistances within the same pill
I like that scapula pic

Cheers

Gday baldhunter

The link is a good one
The best comment I got out of it was the "can be quite deceiving "
Consistency is what I want

Yes it's fascinating to observe different wound channels on different resistances within the same pill
I like that scapula pic

Cheers
Your account and photos show why 180 grain is a much better choice for larger critters than 150 grain (at least in the cup and core style bullets it it is).

Gday SWhandldr .
A heavier, faster (or both) bullet or one that came apart in the lungs, hitting the same place at the same angle would have been more likely to have killed the animal that day.

Can we agree on that?
I agree
These impacts are not easy to get through
D344D58E-E063-4755-99EB-342F1A5436C4.png

Then you have these
FEAE1391-114C-4356-A5D5-7659FF5A4A2A.jpeg

both of these placed shots show a pills weaknesses very quickly & are extremely valuable to the hunter who hunts in the bush , swamps , alps etc & some of the other need to secure the critter on the spot or extremely quickly for a variety of reasons but not all will see the value in this type of pill until they actually need it !!
This leads us into the following & glad you put it up so don't think it matters if anyone didn't ask you it's valuable yes I cut & shut a bit but gladly discuss
Nobody asked me - but all the discussion about bullet performance seems to overlook that the hunter (likely through inexperience) made a less than ideal shot. Had he allowed for the angle & aimed lower the result would likely have been a dead deer. Likely not DRT, but probly recovered that day.

Who among us hasn't misjudged a shot thru inexperience, haste or adrenaline? I'd wager 'not many' is correct. How many of us have failed to learn from the experience? Likely 'not many' again.

The 2 paragraphs above I like & are what happens & is the good bad & ugly of hunting it's when people are honest on especially the 2nd paragraph we understand the words only human ( I'm guilty many times over ) & it's not only inexperienced hunters

This type of hunting here & many other places / environments involves a different skill level that I can guarantee most blind hunters or bench rest shooters will never be able to understand until they are put in these environments & then they are left wanting & a lot is left to be desired yet a lot will never admit to the 2nd paragraph even seasoned hunters in this environment struggle myself included as I can't guarantee I'll place my shot within 2 inches of where I'd like it especially 100 % of the time
Thanks for speaking up & just added a bit of my own inflation 😜for which I'm not intending to offend anyone so please accept my apology in advance just putting out that we can all learn & understanding is a big part
Cheers

Yep, shot placement isn't a problem when rifle is rested; but can easily go wrong when one has to shoot off hand. And when placement is not as good as you would want--that's when using enough bullet and gun come to save what could be a very bad day. That's when you want that wound channel to be as wide as possible with good penetration. Of course it is always a compromise/trade off between expansion and penetration.

No excuse for taking a bad shot (perhaps patience is in order) but when it isn't perfect, it sure helps to have bullet performance that creates a tremendous wound cavity and blows a nice big exit hole for blood trailing. :D

Gday Carl
Just for fun. "IF" we go back to the beginning of the the post, and change it to DRT would you be surprised?

I'll go No I wouldn't.
Let's do that 👍

how many would be but it's a dead deer end of story ?

The majority of people I would think & not saying they would be wrong as they got their head for the wall & or meat for the freezer so all good which I'll partly agree & then we get back to your " IF " & my world of WHAT IF

Yep Then there are absolute nut jobs like myself who can see the weaknesses in a pill that not many others look @ let alone can see
( I mean no disrespect to anyone & to the ones I associate with on terminal preformance I don't mean your a nut job either )

I have reluctantly put that up as I don't like the look @ me syndrome ( people that know me well will understand I'm not a in the lights person or trying to brag )
Please I'm no guru just a very observant nut job that's seen a tremendous amount of terminals from so many brands & types across a wide variety of critters that I base my information off , I'm still learning on how much better the pills of tomorrow are & they are lessening the numbers on the amount of weaknesses a pill has
Which is great for the hunter & critter which that's cool imo

Cheers