A Bore Cleaner Test

please add Wipe-Out to your test as well as Bore Tech Eliminator and MX 50BMG blend and report back /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thanks,
Jason

Just placed an order for all three cleaners at Midsouth. I'll run the tests and report back.

If you can, do a comparison with Janitorial grade Ammonia. You will need to find an industrial cleaner supply shop.

That should dissolve the bullet quite well. Certainly works for me.

Interesting on the Barnes as it has really worked for me over the years I used it.

I use GM engine cleaner and ammonia now.
Jerry

The test is 100% invalid and not very useful. I worked with the most famous ammoniacal chemist on the planet and an laboratory chemist to come up with a valid test. Ammonia facts: <ul type="square"> [*]Ammonia quickly evaporates and looses strength [*]Ammonia strength is measured by density (called Baume) [*]Ammonia requires Oxygen to dissolve Cu - immersion tests are invalid and not what happens when you clean your barrel [*]Janitorial grade Ammonia is a waste of money - Baume-ing out about 7-8. 26 Baume industrial Ammonia is only $15/gal and the way to go [*]Ammonia has never been proven safe for gun barrels. [/list]

My tests lead me to believe that ammonium hydroxide solutions are very ineffective against carbon fouling. Butches Bore shine, or GM Top Engine Cleaner part # 1050002 work.

I've talked to several materials engineers who are emphatic that ammonia will attack the iron in gun barrel alloys. The ammoniacal chemists will not conjecture but ask me to do the test we came up with (to determine if Ammonia is safe).

I've got the two ammoniacal experiments on my 2-do list but they haven't made the top 50.

I have all of the solvents in possession but haven't run the tests. We got hit with several days worth of rain the last few days so I switch my plans to get some things done before a moose hunt that starts on October 6. Also had to put developing a load for the rifle I'm going to use this upcoming season on hold due to the soggy weath. The Forecast is for sunny and mild the next few days so I will be here to carry out and monitor the tests. Problem as I see it now, is how to keep the Wipeout in contact with the bullets for 24 hours. I'm thinking a small plastic tube filled and plugged at one end.

I did use Montana Extreme 50 BMG to clean my rifle after firing a string during sighting in. It seemed tro work, but just for fun, I ran some Warthog down the bore after cleaning out all of the MX. Patch came out blue.

I'll get back to you on further testing.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.