87 Berger VLD put to the test today.

Loner

We went down to the National Guard shooting clinic in Missoula Mt today. I took the
.243 loaded with the 87 grain Berger VLD they had us test awhile back. It was an easy
day for wind, but 3 to 5 switching up all day really showed the Guardsmens skill at
doping the wind. The little .243 had no problem at all staying supersonic to 1000 and
turned out a very impressive day for me. JBM ballistics in the ipod put me in the 9
ring first shot at 800 and in the 6 at 1000 but right on the money for vertical. Put 2
out of 12 rounds in the X of the X-ring at 1000. I had a couple of rounds blown out
to the 8 ring but "Ben" our spotter quickly corrected for the wind changes and the next
shots were back in the 9's and 10's.
So thanks go to Jamey for producing a wonderful shooting clinic. To the National Guard
team for taking the day to instruct and help us. To US Optics for my 14 year old sn3
that performed flawlessly. And to Berger Bullets for putting out a great little bullet for
a 1:10 twist 6mm. And a thank you to all the other shooters. Could not have been a
nicer more courteous group of men and women to shoot with.
Good luck to all of you shooting in the match tomorrow and Sunday. I'm sure you
will represent Montana well to our National Guard Shooting Team.
Anyone in the area keep this event in mind for next year. Jamey plans on putting it
on again at the Deep Creek Range. One of the finest ranges in the country.

Re: 87 Berger VLD put to the test today @ 1000.

G1 is .412 I used the g7 of .211 . For yesterday from a 200 yard zero I used 73 smoa
1/4" clicks for 800 and 107 clicks for 1000. Bullet speed was 2920. corrected from
chrono speeds of 2970.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.