87 gr berger VLD for the 243 win

243winman

Hey guys
I have a question anyone shooting the 87 gr berger hunting VLD's? I have some loaded with IMR 7828 ssc 47.0 grains muzzle velocity around 3100 fps. How are they shooting for you guys and what kind of performance have you had on deer and antelope?

Been shooting the 95 grain for years great shooting on targets not so good for deer. I shot a doe last year high shoulder around 160 yards she ran jumped a barbed wire fence and ran 60 yards and found her died almost in river. Shot another doe high shoulder and twice in the neck around 180 yards jump a fence and died in a corn field about 60 yards into the fields. The rifle is a model seven 243 win 20" barrel 43 grains of 7828 SSC fed 215 gold metal match primers groups about like a pencil hole. What's up anyone know why this is going on?

Maybe it's the high shoulder shots. I always shoot behind the shoulder right above the heart. Deer usually run 30-75 yards. Sometimes 100 if its a giant. Bleed out very well. Makes for better tasting meat. Deer really don't know what happened. Neck shots often leave them flopping for a few minutes or struggling around, gets their adrenaline going. Taints the meat with a "wild" taste.

Thanks guys
Went out over the weekend after church to shoot with some friends and my wife. To try out the new load. The wind was crazy 40 mph shooting 875 yards dialed 12.5 moa pushed into the wind around 6 feet first shot was one foot off to the right push 7 feet shot hit shot again hit shot again hit walk up the the Rock. Group was about 6" not bad for an off the shelf Remington 700 with a Nikon Omega 3-9 scope better scope better group maybe. Thinking about trying a new scope out what do you guys like ?

If your looking for a scope in a moderate price range I have a nikon buckmasters 6-18x40 that I bought for my coyote gun. Excellent scope for under 300. For strictly target shooting my next purchase is gonna be a swfa ss fixed 10 or fixed 16. No good for hunting but for a target gun they have excellent reviews. 299 on swfa

I have a 12x42 SWFA SS scope that I lovei use it for target shooting to 1000 yards and hunting to about 750. I love it. Very clear. Clicks are very accurate and repeatable. Simply range, dial, shoot, and collect your game

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.