825 yard speed goat

goodgrouper

It's been a busy week with all the hunts going on and yesterday was no exception. Uncle B and I got to help out a couple friends of ours on a Utah antelope hunt so we thought we'd bring the moag out just in case shots were long. As it turned out, the shot wasn't too long(for this gun) but it was still fun and we saw some great country.

The unit was the South San Rafael desert in southern Utah and it is not known for big bucks or many bucks either. We found this to be true after driving through the heart of the whole unit and only finding 12 antelope total! Quite a stark contrast from Wyoming when you see 100-200 head per hour!

After seeing this buck and passing on him earlier in the day, we decided to go back and take a look at him in the evening. After sizing him up, the decision was made to take him. So we got out the spotting scopes, the video camera, the bench, and the rifle and dialed it in.

The rest is history. The 300 SMK flew right through the buck and made a fantastic exit wound. The heart was pretty well destroyed and the buck was done.

As you can see from the pics, the horns are very unique and helped in our decision to take him. He has double paddles forming on both sides and the overall shape is interesting. In any event, we couldn't be too choosy as there wasn't much of an option. This was the only mature buck we even saw!

Enjoy the pics

thecrew.jpg

wardandthemoag2.jpg

wardsgoat.jpg

theheart.jpg

doublepaddles.jpg

Way to go!!

825 yards on a speed goat is LR enough...They dont make for very big targets...

Looks like the 300g SMK made a nice size hole for such a thin skinned animal as well...

Whats your velocity with the 300g SMK?? I know its been posted before, just curious??

No we did not have any trouble tracking him, normally on a heart shot they will drop in their tracks but he was rutting and made it about 100yds on adrenaline. the only few drops of blood left some how got on Brad's hands.
UB

It's good to see the M.O.A.G come out of retirement and show off a little Uncle B. GG says she still shoots way good !!!

Congrats to Ward on the ( funky horned ) Goat and the nice shot !!!

Brad can always find enough blood to cover himself to the elbows!!

Probably took at least three of you to carry the old MOAG to the bench??? ---RHB

Yeh, Brad must be a surgeon for had day job. That's a pretty nasty gash on his thumb.:D Plus those dingle berries:rolleyes: Every outfit needs a "Brad".

Good goin'.

Way to go!!

825 yards on a speed goat is LR enough...They dont make for very big targets...

Looks like the 300g SMK made a nice size hole for such a thin skinned animal as well...

Whats your velocity with the 300g SMK?? I know its been posted before, just curious??

It likes a pretty mild load of 96.0 grains of Rl25 and it gave us 3050" fps in the 36" barrel but now that the barrel is 33", the same load only goes 2960 fps.

It's good to see the M.O.A.G come out of retirement and show off a little Uncle B. GG says she still shoots way good !!!

Congrats to Ward on the ( funky horned ) Goat and the nice shot !!!

Brad can always find enough blood to cover himself to the elbows!!

Probably took at least three of you to carry the old MOAG to the bench??? ---RHB

It was amazing that the new shorter barrel liked the same load as it did when it was longer. I drilled a .554" group at 200 yards with it when I was checking the old loaded ammo. Not bad!

And yes, it did take three of us to get ready for this shot because there was lots of heavy metal to get set up and as you can see from the pics, we were racing the setting sun.

Congratulations are in order! Good shooting! I agree with remington-man, they do not make for a large target. Good Job!!!!!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.