800 yard rifle

Whats your budget? Typical is new $700 stock, $700 carbon barrel, $1100-1600 action, $200 trigger, $200 bottom metal, $100 brake, $900 gunsmith work = $3900 minimum.

Here's what you are gonna do: Buy a Christensen FFT 7 PRC for $2300. Put you existing scope on it and shoot factory ammo (becoming available now)..

Thank me later.

Shooting elk at 800 yards and ringing steel at 800 yards is not the same thing. In all your scheming and dreaming, don't forget, at the point of impact, to keep the ft/sec above 1800 - for bullet expansion. And the ft/lb above 1300 for penetration. Not many loads/cartridges can do that at 800 yards. And be sure to use bullets made of rock salt, to preserve the meat while you get there. Some would use the proverbial phonograph needle in a 50BMG case.

I'm going to go against the flow too, but for different reason.

Living in CA, and I assume doing at least some hunting there, you should make a new build specifically for very long, lathe-turned, heavy copper mono's. That is, 1 in 7" twist for 7mm, or 1 in 8" twist for 30 cal.

Those long copper mono's are going to take up a lot of case space, so'll you'll need big cases.
Not all monos are created equal. Apex Outdoors (https://www.apex-outdoors.com/308) offers:

- 135g 1.255" OAL 1:12."
- 144g 1.329" OAL 1:11."
- 153g 1.406" OAL 1:10."

Another vote for tuning up your 300 win mag! In the picture you will see my REM 700 that I had the following work done on: Douglas barrel installed, bedding, trigger job, decelerator pad, deresonator, and Kuiu camo dipped. It shoots 1/2 inch groups with Choice Ammunition (168 barnes ttsx @ 3243 fps) and works well on your intended target animal. I didn't add a muzzle break… I've thought about it, but didn't want to mess with my current results, but I probably would have if I was starting over again. I hope this helps!View attachment 435337
Also I forgot to add that I put a 4.5-14x50mm Sig BDX and a Sig Kilo 5k - a fantastic system out to 800 yards.

I see stupid people who zero their rifles at 100 and then rely on twisting the elevation knob to shoot any range beyond 100.
I've got to kind of disagree with this. My #3 child is making money with PRS, she zeros at 100 and usually dials for the closest target and holds for the others unless she holds on all of them and 1k+ is not uncommon in the matches she shoots.

I've got to kind of disagree with this. My #3 child is making money with PRS, she zeros at 100 and usually dials for the closest target and holds for the others unless she holds on all of them and 1k+ is not uncommon in the matches she shoots.
Murphy doesn't screw with you so hard in matches as he does hunting. 500yds is a poke while defeating Murphy! :D

Well.7mm PRC YOU will be able to shoot it at 800yrd. interval. Less recoil to manage which can effect your accuracy and maybe give you some more confidence at the longer ranges. Without giving up very much energy at the longer ranges vs 300wm. I shoot 7mm LRM very close to 7mm PRC. I'm building 7mm PRC for future as 7mn LRM will just disappear over time. Again the 7mm PRC gets my vote and off the shelf ammo.

Whats your budget? Typical is new $700 stock, $700 carbon barrel, $1100-1600 action, $200 trigger, $200 bottom metal, $100 brake, $900 gunsmith work = $3900 minimum.

Here's what you are gonna do: Buy a Christensen FFT 7 PRC for $2300. Put you existing scope on it and shoot factory ammo (becoming available now)..

Thank me later.
Figures look about right but Christensen seems to have some quality control issues so I'd think about someone whose quality is spot on

Here's the deal: a shot at a living animal has a moral aspect. You're attempting to take a life. You have an ethical duty to dispatch the animal as quickly and painlessly as possible. That means you must know you can make the shot. NOW WHERE ARE YOU GOING TO PRACTICE 800 YARD SHOTS? 700 yard shots?
I see stupid people who zero their rifles at 100 and then rely on twisting the elevation knob to shoot any range beyond 100.
Seems to be a number of people who get custom turrets and never test them to see if they are correct until they try to take an animal and either miss or worse just wound it

I was out on sheep last season and we came upon some rams at 950 yards. Looked at them through the 50x spotting scope for some time. My guide let me know there was a hunter earlier that was taking shots at that distance. I took my eyes off the 50x scope and couldn't believe it. Way to far. I think 800 is a mission on flat ground, would recommend getting closer and spending budget on good glass.

If it were a different caliber, I'd be thinking 6.5, but then your bullet is getting really light. I'd go heavier, or keep the 300wm if your confident in that one.