800 yard rifle

Thanks for the comments. My current 300wm is a HEAVY target rifle probably around 15 pounds with optics on it. I want something in the sub 10 pound range with optics that I can comfortably carry up and down the mountain. I've been seriously considering a new Alamo Precision as my dedicated "do it all" hunting rig. My 308 is great for practice at the range because it is just cheaper to shoot. I know I will be practicing a lot with the hunting rifle too when I pull the trigger on a new rifle.
308Win is a great caliber for practicing long range. Marine Corps Scout/Snipers used it for many decades. Because of time of flight, drift and drop, it becomes imperative to read all the things Mother Nature gives you and make a judgement call on how to adjust.

You might consider building/buying a rifle in 6.5 that mimics your 300wm in weight and size including scope and practicing with it. 300wm range sessions are not the stuff of dreams. Then you'll have another option for smaller game.

You will find if you talk to enough experienced people, that by and large those making the longer shots, are not your typical walking around type hunters looking for a long shot opportunity.
Now im not implying that it dosent happen, but the odds of a guy making a long kill with a light barreled comfortable to carry gun, arent all that good.
First off there is apt to be multible shots fired, regardless as to what you may have been led to believe.
So that means that the accuracy will start to diminish with light guns, not even taking into account the excitement factor escalating the longer it goes on.
Its one thing for all of us to sit and offer keyboard opinions, but yet another to actually make it happen out in the real world.
Those who are the most successful with the longer shots, will be those who have the type of equipment required for that situation.
And that will mean heavier barreled guns, tripod mounted optics, a good shooting platform, and an experienced spotter buddy sitting behind the good optics informing the shooter as to what is actually taking place.
If that type of hunting is a turn off for you, then i suggest just sticking with the type of gun and the distances you are now comfortable with.
There is certainly nothing wrong with either method, it is simply a question of how they appeal to different individuals.

Keep the 300winmag. Its a great cartridge even by today's standard. Put some money into a long range shooting school. It will be fun and you will learn a ton. You will find out if the wind is not blowing 700 yard moa plates are easy. Even further if you have your load dialed in. In windy conditions that distance gets much shorter. Your 300 with high bc bullets will definitely help. Shooting long range wind is king. Doesn't matter how good you can hold snd how accurate your rifle is wind will always be the weak link. Shooting school will definitely help with that. My 300 will hit steel to 1300 yards regularly but in the wind that changes. For hunting you need first shot 100% hit rate. You dont have the luxury of walking shots in. So you will need to figure out your kill range by wind speed and angle. You will only find this info out with extensive range time shooting in various weather conditions. I shoot 1000 yard completion and know I will never in my life shoot at a game animal at that distance. Best shooters in the world shooting extremely accurate rifles off concrete benches with wind flags and they still miss a 36 inch target regularly. Thats why you get unlimited sighters. Hunting doesn't allow sighters. But I think I could teach anyone with a moa rifle to hit steel up to 700 yards with ease under good conditions. And Im not talking off a bench. Bipod or shooting sticks or tripod. 500 if the wind is less than 10. Wind more than 10 is so difficult I would probably drop that range to 3 to 400 yards depending on your rifles ballistic profile. Good luck on your build. Find a good shooting school. Then find a range that has steel out to the distance you want to practice. Then shoot in all weather conditions to find out what your capable of. I think you will surprise yourself how good you can shoot with some instruction on long range. Ive taught many of my customers and they always say the same thing. Why didn't someone tell me this already. Most likely majority of people are taught to shoot by people that never have shot long range before. The school will help way more than any custom rifle. So do both.
Shep

By then the rifle will probably be rebarrelled
Ask yourself this question,
How many surgeries are required for a doctor to perform a surgery on a live patient?
Trust me when i say, with the proper setup you can do it right now.
The only one needing convincing of that is you.
If it were all that difficult, how many people would be able to perform surgeries? i mean shoot accurately at long distances. lol
We tend to give more credit to the knowledge and ability of others, while at the same time often short changing ourselves.
Remember this however, you will only find doctors working in a controlled environment, with the support of other qualified people.
But that for some reason dosent seem necessary in the mind of many hunters.
Could it have something to do with ego, more so than logic?
Nahh.

I noticed a couple of posters have mentioned the 6.5s. I shoot a couple of accurized 264 Win Mags, and a 300 PRC. Even with the 156gr Berger EOL custom ammo, out of a 1:7 twist, after about 600yrds, the wind affects the 264s much more than the 300 PRC shooting 212gr ELD-X. Therefore, I prefer the 300 PRC for shots beyond 600yrds. Since you have indicated that you're looking at a new build, I recommend looking at a 300 PRC.

Keep the 300winmag. Its a great cartridge even by today's standard. Put some money into a long range shooting school. It will be fun and you will learn a ton. You will find out if the wind is not blowing 700 yard moa plates are easy. Even further if you have your load dialed in. In windy conditions that distance gets much shorter. Your 300 with high bc bullets will definitely help. Shooting long range wind is king. Doesn't matter how good you can hold snd how accurate your rifle is wind will always be the weak link. Shooting school will definitely help with that. My 300 will hit steel to 1300 yards regularly but in the wind that changes. For hunting you need first shot 100% hit rate. You dont have the luxury of walking shots in. So you will need to figure out your kill range by wind speed and angle. You will only find this info out with extensive range time shooting in various weather conditions. I shoot 1000 yard completion and know I will never in my life shoot at a game animal at that distance. Best shooters in the world shooting extremely accurate rifles off concrete benches with wind flags and they still miss a 36 inch target regularly. Thats why you get unlimited sighters. Hunting doesn't allow sighters. But I think I could teach anyone with a moa rifle to hit steel up to 700 yards with ease under good conditions. And Im not talking off a bench. Bipod or shooting sticks or tripod. 500 if the wind is less than 10. Wind more than 10 is so difficult I would probably drop that range to 3 to 400 yards depending on your rifles ballistic profile. Good luck on your build. Find a good shooting school. Then find a range that has steel out to the distance you want to practice. Then shoot in all weather conditions to find out what your capable of. I think you will surprise yourself how good you can shoot with some instruction on long range. Ive taught many of my customers and they always say the same thing. Why didn't someone tell me this already. Most likely majority of people are taught to shoot by people that never have shot long range before. The school will help way more than any custom rifle. So do both.
Shep
Much of what youve just said is simply BS.
You have just shown that you actually have little to no long range hunting experience, and i would question the target experience as well.
Fact is there arent any experienced benchrest target shooters missing the target regularly.
When those conditions occur, they simply stop shooting, and in some cases the match is held up untill the conditions improve.
Long range hunting schools can be a very good thing for those not having a place to shoot and qualified people to help them along.
But for those who do, it isnt necessary at all.
Key is a place to shoot, and a willingness to spend time and money doing it, for both ammo and the proper equipment.
At least initally, after that its sorta like riding a bike, a few trips around the block and your back to doing it with no hands.
Practice need not be at any specific type of a target, or any target at all, a rock or a stump from a tree will work just as well as a steel plate.
Some of coarse get their jollys by ringing the steel, and thats o k, were all a bit different in some regards.

Wow! - 6 pages in 18 hours. Must be a lot of folks staying out of the cold today:)
As has been stated, there is nothing mentioned in your goals that a 300wm won't do. Those who stated you just need to "tune up" your current rifle might have missed your comment that it is a 15 pound target set up (or may have commented prior to you stating that). You could harvest the action and do a whole new build - unless you're particularly fond of that rifle, in which case, that may not be an appealing option. If I were looking for a caliber that I could use to take nothing larger than elk, and not past 800 yards, but which I could also use to practice at longer ranges in hopes of becoming a more proficient LR shooter, I would look at the new 7 PRC. Initially, I was one who echoed the thought that we have more than enough different cartridges and there was no real need for new ones. However, as shooting has evolved and distances are stretched, having factory calibers that were specifically designed for long, heavy bullets seems appropriate. If I were just looking for a hunting round, I would probably lean towards the 300 PRC or 30 nosler. I went with the nosler a couple of years ago, and I am not disappointed with it at all, but I recently helped a friend sight in their new 300 PRC and it was a tack driver also. I personally like the short fat 7's, with the 7 wsm being my all time favorite and the saum a close second. But the 7 PRC being specifically designed for the long heavies, and being a compromise between the 7rm and 7wsm, is likely going to be my next rifle. And since you mentioned Alamo Precision, it looks like they already have experience with building them, so you're good to go! Good luck, and let us know how it goes...

I have to assume that a first round hit is required in the "sport" you're wanting to play…maybe a second shot if the target doesn't run off or turn, hide or otherwise foil shot #2.

A first round surgically placed shot in the field at 800 yds is something that only the most experienced practiced players can pull off…the time and energy learning your gun, its load, various wind/atmospheric conditions and the attendant rest/hold/ trigger technique is no small undertaking…

Everyone has to start somewhere…by the time most of us can learn to make a first round hit on a 9-10" target at 800yd we will be well into our 2nd or 3rd barrel or shooting platform…

Just saying…it's all good on the forums…a totally different story at the bench or on a frosty mountain canyon wall.

Last edited:
I sold a tack driver .300 Win mag to a friend last year because he really wanted it and the barrel was a little heavier than what I wanted to hunt with. After research I had a 28 Nosler built, which I like, but if I had it to do over again, I would go back with another .300 WM. Mainly so I wouldn't have to scrounge for good brass and also buy new dies.

I have to assume that a first round hit is required in the "sport" you're wanting to play…maybe a second shot if the target doesn't run off or turn, hide or otherwise foil shot #2.

A first round surgically place shot in the field at 800 yds is something that only the most experienced practiced players can pull off…the time and energy learning your gun, its load, various wind/atmospheric conditions and the attendant rest/hold/ trigger technique is no small undertaking…

Everyone has to start somewhere…by the time most of us can learn to make a first round hit on a 9-10" target at 800yd we will be well into our 2nd or 3rd barrel or shooting platform…

Just saying…it's all good on the forums…a totally different story at the bench or on a frosty mountain canyon wall.
Well ill call BS on that opinion also.
We obviously live in different worlds here.
One being dream world and the other being real world.
As for burning out barrels on hunting guns, most never get shot enough for that to happen.
Many guys use other guns with smaller cartridges like 308s for practicing.
The hunting guns are used for hunting, with only a few rounds shot each year for checking zero etc.
Do you actually know what a whitetail buck is very apt to do with a very close first round miss?
Well ill tell you what they are very apt to do on a very close first round miss.
They are very apt to just lean down and smell where the bullet hit.
The idea that its absolutely necessary to make first round hits is simply wrong to put it mildly.
Indicating that those who spew that type information are in fact clueless about what the real facts are.

Nobody will criticize you for taking advantage of what you just learned with a first round miss, and killing them on the second or even the third shot.
Thats real world, ask anybody who has actually been there and watched it actually happen.

Recent Posts