8" Barrel twist 300 Win Mag and bullet weights

ItchyTF

I know the questions I'm asking have been asked here like a bazillion times, the more I search and read about it the more confused I get. I've learned some things but when I read the articles experts chime in and place me back in the first grade.

I have a new 2021 Xbolt long range Stalker 300 Win Mag 26 inch barrel with a 8 inch twist and a break hog. I purchased it just after Christmas. I had a Bar Safari in 300 wm so this rifle was an old itch I had to scratch, I shot 150's , 165's but mostly 180 grain tipped Barnes out of it. I haven't set the Stalker up yet.

I come back to LRH and find twist rates, length of barrels, weight of bullets and calibers is more of a science than I ever first thought. I know from the best I read here that I can shoot some of the above 200 gr bullets but what about lets say 165 ,168 , 178 ,180 gr tipped hunting rounds, solids or bonded for a rifle made for long range ?

I've read here that too light of a bullet could fly apart and a bullet too heavy for the twist will tumble at distance. I shoot pretty good out to 200 yards with my 7mm rm and have done well with a Bar Safari in 300 wm. I've ranged deer to 300 and just over 400yds but have never shot beyond that and I want to progress to those distances before blindly taking a shot at deer at those ranges. I welcome and appreciate any answers remarks and comments.

If I'm wrong, and I could be, I'm sure I'll be corrected soon. I don't believe you can over stabilize a bullet, I believe you'll be just fine with all the weights you mentioned

With an 8 twist you can shoot pretty much any grain bullet regardless of construction. In extreme cases, a lightweight cup n core bullet could come apart if driven fast enough. But lightweight bullets driven fast is mono construction territory. Hope this helps.

You're probably going to have issues over stressing the jacket on lighter bullets, there's definitely such a thing as over spinning.
I have an 8 twist 30 nos and aside from monos I shoot 220 grain bullets or heavier

I know the questions I'm asking have been asked here like a bazillion times, the more I search and read about it the more confused I get. I've learned some things but when I read the articles experts chime in and place me back in the first grade.

I have a new 2021 Xbolt long range Stalker 300 Win Mag 26 inch barrel with a 8 inch twist and a break hog. I purchased it just after Christmas. I had a Bar Safari in 300 wm so this rifle was an old itch I had to scratch, I shot 150's , 165's but mostly 180 grain tipped Barnes out of it. I haven't set the Stalker up yet.

I come back to LRH and find twist rates, length of barrels, weight of bullets and calibers is more of a science than I ever first thought. I know from the best I read here that I can shoot some of the above 200 gr bullets but what about lets say 165 ,168 , 178 ,180 gr tipped hunting rounds, solids or bonded for a rifle made for long range ?

I've read here that too light of a bullet could fly apart and a bullet too heavy for the twist will tumble at distance. I shoot pretty good out to 200 yards with my 7mm rm and have done well with a Bar Safari in 300 wm. I've ranged deer to 300 and just over 400yds but have never shot beyond that and I want to progress to those distances before blindly taking a shot at deer at those ranges. I welcome and appreciate any answers remarks and comments.
At the velocities of the WM you're not going to be shredding any other than perhaps the very lightest jacketed target and varmint bullets and I doubt even those would be a problem.

On the plus side, if you want to load it up with the latest and greatest highest BC bullets available in 10 years you should still be well ahead of the curve.

Stay away from Bergers, esp. 215s.

Yall gave me the answers I was looking for. Thanks a heap. It's going to be fun shooting the different weight bullets at the range and at the deer. Now if Ammo Seek can show me the way to those precious projectiles.

Im planning to build a 300WM with an 8 twist, primarily to shoot the heavier monos but I figure if Hornady feels that an 8 twist is appropriate for the 300 PRC then it should be good for the 300 WM. I doubt I will shoot anything lighter than 215 grains in a cup/core bullet anyway.

I'm running same 28" 1:8. Lightest bullet I've shot we're the 185 juggernaut at 3180. No problem what so ever.
210's shoot great too but loving the 205gr badlands sbd2's!!!!

The Badlands have proven to be terrific in fast twist .30 cal. barrels. So have the Berger 245 gr. Hunters and the 230 gr. A-Tips. I tested some Nosler 220 gr. CC in an 1:8 twist but they perform better in a 1:10" twist. It's that old-fashion, slow ogive similar to what Sierra started with. Not a very high BC but plenty of energy at the distances past 500 yards.

The 227 Hammer Hunter works well but I'm shooting at 4,000 feet and up to 8,000 feet. Berger Stability say it needs a little more twist at sea level.

All chambers were custom cut for specific bullets and are not magazine friendly unless you use those extended ones.

;)