300 win mag with 1/8 twist?

odoylerules

Hey guys, I am building a 300 winny. It's finished and they're shipping it out to me today or tomorrow. Looking over the final bill/build sheet they emailed me, I noticed the barrel says 1 in 8 twist. I requested a 1/9. I'm planning on shooting the Berger hybrid 215's. Is the 1/8 twist gonna be ok?

Should be fine, might cost a few fps with that tight of a twist, but ok. should be plenty stabilized, not sure if you can over-stabilize that kind of bullet. but, with that tight twist you can shoot some real heavy mono bullets and be ok, like maybe 230's or maybe the 240gr SMK

When I build another 300 Win, I'm planning on using an 1:8 Twist.

Kind of related but maybe a little off topic:

I was looking at the 30 Cal, Hornady ELD-M, 225g. The high BC they have on the box is from a 1:7 twist.

I emailed Hornady Technical Support and asked if this bullets would hold up in a 300 Win Mag, with a 1:7 Twist. They said no problem.

Might be worth seeing how they shoot. On game performance reports are all good for the ELD-M.

https://www.hornady.com/support/ballistic-coefficient

upload_2018-1-5_14-41-18.png

Hey guys, I am building a 300 winny. It's finished and they're shipping it out to me today or tomorrow. Looking over the final bill/build sheet they emailed me, I noticed the barrel says 1 in 8 twist. I requested a 1/9. I'm planning on shooting the Berger hybrid 215's. Is the 1/8 twist gonna be ok?

Seems like a fairly significant mistake. Most likely, somebody fat fingered the keyboard when typing the build sheet. I'd want to get that straightened out before it got shipped and after it's shipped, it would be one of the first things I confirmed before shooting. It's important to get what you paid for and if there's a mistake, both parties should feel like it's been addressed to eaches satisfaction.

So I heard back from the smith. They make their own barrels in-house. She told me they don't do 1/9 twist barrels (which I thought was weird). Anyway, if they would have told me up front it would have been nicer. Knowing the 1/8 not only won't hurt, but may even improve things is a big relief. Thanks guys

Last edited:
I would have went 1-8" to begin with.

Regardless of what is ordered, or what it's stamped the only way to know for sure is measure it yourself.
So I heard back from the smith. They make their own barrels in-house. She told me they don't do 1/9 twist barrels (which I thought was weird). Anyway, if they would have told me up front it would have been nicer. Knowing the 1/8 not only won't hurt, but may even improve things is a big relief. Thanks guys

Yep, have fun with it. My next .300 WM project will be a 1:8" in 18" or 20" suppressed. Why? Because, I can. :D

Yep, have fun with it. My next .300 WM project will be a 1:8" in 18" or 20" suppressed. Why? Because, I can. :D
Depending on the suppressor you could get up to 22" or so and not be carrying any longer than 26". Seems like I saw a suppressor that is about 3" Sounds cool whatever you do.

Steve