7x61 S&H wildcat?

When I was 13 or 14 I read lots about the 7x61 and swore I'd have one some day. 62 now and still don't have one but this post has made me decide to order a reamer and look for brass. Thanks for bringing back a good memory
Well now you will need an old Willys pickup or wagon with a gun rack over a window to hang the thing on.
That would be real clasic.

In ancient times there were a 22x61, 6mmx61 and 25x61.
All were screamers. Imagine a 1 in 7 22x61 shooting 100 gr VLDs !

Just stole these on auction. Along with Unertl most expensive USA made scopes back then.

For almost any application either work just fine.

The B&L 6x24 Balvar with the Kuharsky mount upgrade was and still is an excellant scope for long range shooting/hunting.
I used one for about 25 years on a 30x378 heavy bench type gun. I had a little over 500 1/4 min clicks of elevation from my 100 yd zero. I had used a 15 x Unertl prior to that, but the limited field caused issues for hunting tree covered hillsides.
Being able to reduce power for a wider field was a big improvment.
It was only about 8 years ago that my sons convinced me to buy a Nightforce.
I frankly cant say it was an improvment.

I have a NF and they are good scopes BUT when I can buy a mint BalVar 6-24 for 1/2 the price, it's not hard to decide.

I have a 54J Schulz & Larson in 7x61 that shoots very well and I never had any extraction issues. Great cartridge from my experience. Shoot it until it needs a new barrel then decide weather you need a new one or a different cartridge. IMHO

I have a 54J Schulz & Larson in 7x61 that shoots very well and I never had any extraction issues. Great cartridge from my experience. Shoot it until it needs a new barrel then decide weather you need a new one or a different cartridge. IMHO
Back in the late 70s i knew a couple of guys who built 30x 378s on the S&L actions.
And they did have set back issues with them.

MRMAJESTIK:

I love those Balvar 6-24 scopes! I've had 2, and both had "peppering" in them -- small specks of black at high magnification. I've been told it was due to something in the scope flaking off and settling on one of the lenses. I opened one up to see if I could clean it, but chickened out after getting to the erector lenses. Didn't want to open those assemblies to wipe the lens. I even put an ad in a newspaper where they used to be made to see if anyone remembered working at the factory. got one reply from an old guy who had some suggestions about cleaning them. Really great scopes.

Great thread on 7x61! I own an original S&L Mauser actioned 7x61 that was my dad's elk and muley rifle from the late 1950's. I unfortunately inherited it in 1987 and have played with it since then. I recently refreshed it by retiring the original B&L adjustable base and B&L 8X fixed scope and replacing it with a new Leupold 3.5x10. I had it cerakoted and dropped it into a new Boyds laminate Classic Hunter stock. Dad would be proud - RIP. Although I have a couple of boxes of original Norma 160 gr ammo I decided to I make my brass from 7 mag as has been noted previously. I FL resize in the 7x61 die and setup my drill press with a jig to trim to size and did the final trim on my RCBS trimmer. Test chambering worked perfect. Since the original bbl has a 1:12 twist, heavier bullets don't shoot so well (another reason the 7x61 fizzeled out...), my dad's standard hunting load was 139 gr Hornady. So my next activity will be to load 140 gr Accubonds on top of a case full of IMR4831 (PO Ackley load) and see how it shoots. Knowing how many deer and elk this rifle took with Hornadys the Accubond load should handle very well.

Last edited:
1695737867001.png

https://normashooting.com/shop/?filters=ammocaliber[1518]