7WSM or RSAUM 22"?

Dwall82

Building a rifle for the wife. Does anyone have experience in the short fat 7s with a 22" pipe? Getting too short? Gonna run 175 elite hunters.

Also, any ideas on LOP for a petite 5'4" lady? Thoughts on cheek weld and eye relief?

1st question is, does she shoot magnum rifles well ? If she's a new shooter or recoil shy , a different cartridge may be a better choice.

I shoot 150's in my 270ss at 3152' in a 21 inch barrel. You could load down to 140 or even 120 for your wife and make quite a difference.

1st question is, does she shoot magnum rifles well ? If she's a new shooter or recoil shy , a different cartridge may be a better choice.
She's not shy; but I don't want to make her shy. She shoots about 100rds a month with her .308 out to 1000. She shoots my braked 7RM and 300WM quite often. She loved my 7RM so much she asked for one of her own. I just wanted it short and fit to her. It will be her mountain/backpack elk rifle.

If you are going full custom rifle, I would go 7-300 wsm or 7 RSAUM. The problem with 7 wsm is only Winchester makes brass for it and it's hard to come by. I would also look at 7 SAW made by West Texas Ordnance. It looks like it has some awesome potential

If you are going full custom rifle, I would go 7-300 wsm or 7 RSAUM. The problem with 7 wsm is only Winchester makes brass for it and it's hard to come by. I would also look at 7 SAW made by West Texas Ordnance. It looks like it has some awesome potential
I guess I should have been more specific in the question title. Question is more for barrel length and LOP. Clayton at WTO has helped me decide on the 7SAUM

Man I think the 7saum is a great choice but maybe not the best for your lady.
I got a 270 wsm for my wife a few years ago thinking I could load 130s for lighter recoil.
I ended up making her recoil shy and she developed a serious flinch, caused her to miss a bull at 50 yards.
She has a 7-08 now and got over the flinch.
My advice is to seriously consider your objectives before getting her a magnum.
For what it's worth my buddy just shot an elk at 450 yards with his 243 and killed it instantly.
I shot two bulls this year with my lightweight 6.5 RSAUM and they too dropped in their tracks (Very light recoil btw).
Point being you don't need a hammer.
As for barrel length, I would go with 24" to reduce muzzle blast, that alone could make your wife develop a flinch.
Good luck

I have a Model Seven SS in 7 SAUM with a factory 22" barrel. I'm shooting 160 grain Accubonds at 2960 fps. I love the rifle and the cartridge.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.